New kit sick?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Thursday I found two stray kittens and they have spent 5 days in the vet faculty to be cleared of parasites. I have just today collected them and will now try and find homes for them, once I am sure they are OK (Currently they are isolated in a bedroom and have used a litter box). One seems fine, eating, drinking, exploring, but the other is very lethargic and won't eat on her own. I have given her goat milk and egg yolk, and liquidised kitten food by syringe. They are incredibly bony and were being eaten alive by fleas, which we are now treating. I had thought they were 10/11 weeks old, but have revised my opinion downwards. Any other ideas on what I can do? Here are pix to give you an idea of the comparison:

Kitten one

Kitten 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the second one just does not want to do anything. But I have fed her again, by syringe, and she actually began cleaning herself afterwards, licking off some spots where some spilt. So that is a good sign. The other, bigger one, cannot get enough to eat, and I must be careful or she will eat herself sick. She has loose stools too, which is probably a result of too much too soon. But she is already a lapcat - she climbs all over me and settles down on me as soon as I sit down. The little one is not interested in anything and has not yet had a BM, though she has peed. How old do you think they are?

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, those poor, sweet babies. I hope that the second one starts improving soon! Thank you for taking care of them!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say about 8 weeks two. The kitten that is less healthy-does it purr at all??? Maybe its so undernourished? How often are you feeding it??? I know you can stimulate a bowel movement by wiping its "butt" area. Is she/he shivering? Maybe it needs to be kept warmer like a box with a cover on it?? Does it sound wheezy??? On antibiotics??

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is purring when I stroke her, and she has stopped shivering since I gave her a hot water bottle to cuddle up to. There is no wheezing or discharge from anywhere. She is not on antibiotics or anything - so far they have been dewormed and had their first shots, and some flea treatment, though there are still some live fleas. I am picking them off. I have tried some stimulation, but to no effect so far. Oh, and I am syringe feeding 30 mms of liquidised food every 2 hours.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've heard of people putting them in their tops. Kittens body temperatures can drop pretty dangerously.
Poor little thing.

There are some cool things you can heat up for them that stay warm a long time, but I imagine they aren't readily available in your area.

I agree they look at least 8 weeks.

Good luck! They're better off with you anyway.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sara - your little ones look so sad - I do hope you find good homes for them! Good news tonight - I had to go out so my friend did the 8PM and 10PM feedings. Then when I got home I prepared a bowl of food for the bigger kit and took the jar of liquid food up to the room to feed the other one. And as soon as I put the bowl down both kittens went for it! So the small one must be feeling better. She actually jumped off the bed to reach the food.

I think she is a bit big to carry around, and so bony I would be afraid of hurting her. I used to carry Dushka like that, but she was only three weeks old when I found her. She has a covered hot water bottle to snuggle into, which lasts several hours, with a nest of thick towels, so she is warm.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I glad that they are both doing better. Several yrs ago I "adopted" a barn cat who had herpes/and pneumonia amoung other things. It took 6 months/lots of attention/medical care to bring him back to looking good. Hope you find homes for these little ones!!

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like maybe they just need more time to adjust to everything. They have had some big changes in their life recently. But hopefully they are on the right track and will be feeling better soon! I look forward to the updates and hope you can find good homes for them

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for hte vibes! I am still very worried about the smaller one, who is eating very little on her own. I am supplementing with liquidised chicken, egg and milk by syringe, with vitamins added, 30 ml every two hours. She is a walking skeleton, her breast bone sticks out like a point and her vertebrae can be seen through the skin. She can jump off the bed but is too weak to jump back. She just wants to lay in her nest, against the water bottle, though will come and climb on me if I sit on the bed. Her sister is doing well, eating, pooping and is now playing with a cardboard box and some toys.

I looked up starvation in cats, and hepatic lipidosis, but there is not that much practical help. It says don't feed too much, but what is too much? I want to get as much into her as she will take, and so far she has kept it all down. Her stools are normal too, though a bit far between.
Here are pix this afternoon:

I don't want to lose her having got this far. Any advice would be wonderful.

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made a thick quilted cover for a heating pad with a plastic tube attached to the cover for the cord that goes all the way to the outlet so there's no chance the kittens can chew on it. I have used it to keep many warm with it, and dont have to worry they'll be getting cold when they're sick. It's really easy to make! I used magic hem glue(because sewing machine was broken at the time) and just glued all the sides together and glued and inserted the tube into small open area for the cord. Suggestion though...make sure tube is big enough for the plug to go through. It's held together now for over 5 years. Always keep the pad on LOW setting.
Another thing I use is 'Pediacare electrolite' if they are dehydrated.
Wish you the best with them! They are going to beautiful when they get better!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am keeping her warm with a fur-covered hot water bottle and a microwaved bean bag, and she is not dehydrated. I don't think she is sick, just starving, which I have had no experience of before.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor little thing.
One of my fosters is pretty small and hungry, I feel so bad for them. I wish I had more advice, but good luck!