New foster mama-to-be and questions!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are good overall. The tortie is your runt - keep an eye on her. With 6 you may need to rotate 3 and 3. See how they are when you weigh them next. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have perhaps a strange question about the post-birth process. When she was delivering, the scent of it all was a lot stronger than I expected. It wasn't like a vile scent by any means, but one that offered a bit of recoil when you got a big whiff. Every kitten came out with a placenta, and her breathing is back to normal with no contractions. Yet, the scent is still lingering even though I moved mama and babies and washed all the birthing blankets/bed. I'm thinking the fluids dried in her fur (she's long haired), but is this any reason for concern? I volunteer at a clinic and a hospital and I've smelled some bad things there, and this isn't necessarily an infection type scent. Just an odd, unexpected one. It's so hard to try to describe it, I guess almost kind of musty? Did anyone else have a lingering birthing smell in the room?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You put your finger on it when you said "birthing smell". It's the smell of blood and bodily fluids, amniotic sacs and placentas, and I'm sure that some is still on mom and the kittens. It should dissipate as mom cleans herself and her kittens in the coming days.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So when I weighed everyone yesterday, it was after they had their first latch. I'm a little bit worried about my runt, as she's been crying and struggling to fight for a nipple between her and her brothers. I know I should probably do rotations, but how would I do that without  upsetting mama too much? I know who are my big boys and who aren't, but should I put the bigger ones in a bed still in the nest or should I move them into the bathroom for a little bit? The runt's belly looks so full, but she's down to 96 g from the 100 g taken about six hours after she was born. I don't want to lose her!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the plus side, Rosie the mama cat has been enjoying her KMR/wet food/cat-cal mixture I've been making her. She's had some diarrhea as expected after eating six placentas but seems to be shaping into a really great mom. 

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to triple post on my own thread, but I'm also worried about colostrum for the runt. I have seen her latch and her belly looks full, so I'm sure she's gotten some in, but should I hold off syringe feeding her until she's 48 hours old?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lexlovescats lexlovescats

You need to rotate the kittens every 2 hours 3/3 or 4/2, bigs and smalls. If it upsets mom, then take the ones who are not nursing into another room. They'll need a heat source in the waiting box.

You need to begin supplementing the runt immediately. She needs to gain back the lost weight and then some. See that she gets 1-2mLs every couple hours today, then every 4 hours tomorrow.

Last edited:

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. Mama got really nervous about the rotation when I put the two biggest in the bathroom. Everyone is gaining, just not as fast as I'd like. Though everyone is in the 120s or higher other than my runt. She's been really resisting the syringe, so I bought a dropper, which seemed to be more effective for her. I've only been getting 1 CC in her every hour or two. Not as much as I'd like, but she's also been latched on to mom almost everytime I've gone in. She's already gained 4 g in just a few hours, so that's looking up!

Mom has been panting some while the kittens are feeding. I had only noticed an increased respiration rate but just caught her open-mouth panting like she did during labor. I'm assuming this is because of pain of little teeth? Nothing I should be concerned about I hope? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is panting from after pains and hormones. It's common in cats who are lactating, however, she may also be low on calcium. Give her a dish of KMR a day for extra calcium. It also seems to help with the panting.

Good to hear the runt is gaining. Continue the overall vigilance and the supplementing. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Following! My rescue momma just had kittens 2wks ago on Sunday! Most exciting yet stressful experience ever. Sending good thoughts your way for momma and kittens! Sending extra for your little runt. [emoji]10084[/emoji]

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have perhaps a strange question about the post-birth process. When she was delivering, the scent of it all was a lot stronger than I expected. It wasn't like a vile scent by any means, but one that offered a bit of recoil when you got a big whiff. Every kitten came out with a placenta, and her breathing is back to normal with no contractions. Yet, the scent is still lingering even though I moved mama and babies and washed all the birthing blankets/bed. I'm thinking the fluids dried in her fur (she's long haired), but is this any reason for concern? I volunteer at a clinic and a hospital and I've smelled some bad things there, and this isn't necessarily an infection type scent. Just an odd, unexpected one. It's so hard to try to describe it, I guess almost kind of musty? Did anyone else have a lingering birthing smell in the room?

My kittens are 5days old now and I've washed the birthing blankets twice now and my room still smells. Hopefully it goes away soon!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Following! My rescue momma just had kittens 2wks ago on Sunday! Most exciting yet stressful experience ever. Sending good thoughts your way for momma and kittens! Sending extra for your little runt. [emoji]10084[/emoji]
Thank you! She's getting fuzzier and gaining weight slowly but surely, so I'm super hopeful for her! Best of luck for your little kits!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a bit of a scare the last 24 hours. Our tortie runt is gaining lots of weight! But one of the orange guys lost a significant amount. I started bottle feeding him and he seems to have regained some strength. Mom cat has been deeply panting and sounds congested. My rescue has Clavomox on hand until we can get her into our affiliated vet on Monday. Is that okay for nursing moms?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, clavamox is fine. Sounds like she needs it. When can you get the clavamox?

You can also steam up a bathroom with a hot shower and sit with her in there for a few minutes to help her breathing. Or set up a vaporizer.

Good you're helping the orange kitten!

Last edited:

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to pick up the Clavomox last night from our PetSmart site where we do adoptions. She's received two doses so far! I've been using an essential oil steamer without oils near the nest to hopefully add some moisture to the air.

Our little orange guy finally had a normal weight gain! His belly looks chubby now, too, and he seem to have gained some strength and can actually stay on a nipple and not be knocked off. Even by one of his brothers who has a full 70 g on him!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good news on the orange kitten!

Glad to hear you are steaming and that mom has had 2 doses of clavamox so far. It usually takes about 5 doses before cats turn the corner, however, is she sounding or acting any better yet? Poor gal.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She seems to be sounding better tonight. Also, all the kittens have gained really great amounts of weight today between 9-32 grams. Except our little orange guy who has finally gotten back to his birth weight. :( Hopefully he makes better gains tomorrow. He's finally figured out the bottle and drank 5 CCs tonight!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a theory as to why the orange one may not be gaining weight. I looked at her nipples tonight to rub some coconut oil on them and realized the nipple he has chosen became horribly matted at some point. Like matted to the point the nipple was completely covered. I VERY carefully cut around the nipple and she seemed relieved. The gland was very full as well.

Another nipple-related question. She has six-seven functioning nipples and one nub looking thing. I'll attach a picture and see if anyone has seen this before? It's so odd. It seems to have a tiny bit of milk behind it but nothing like her other teats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you cut back her fur. Can you carefully snip the fur around all her nipples? That might help.

It's not clear to me if that is a working nipple or not that you are asking about.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the schools of thought on free feeding a newborn kitten from a bottle? I've been doing this with my boy who had lost a bunch of weight and he made his biggest increase ever today! But I then started reading that allowing a kitten to eat as much as they want can be a bad thing? The nipple in the bottle isn't too big as far as I think, and he automatically gets milk drunk after I bottle feed him and goes off to sleep. Also, with work and school, I only have time to bottle feed him about 5-6 times a day and I let mom fill in the gaps. So I guess what I'm asking is whether or not it's a bad thing I let him eat as much as he wants through the bottle? I've only been bottle feeding him this way for two days.

I don't think it's a working nipple either, it looks like the kittens have tried though. I also did cut back the fur around some. Here are some updated weights!

Five days old

#1: Birth weight-126 g, Weight tonight-168 g +42 g

#2  Birth weight-111 g, Weight tonight-130 g (my boy who was down to 102 g at one point) +19 g

#3: Birth weight-137 g, Weight tonight-180 g +43 g

#4: Birth weight-149 g, Weight tonight-199 g +50 g

#5: Birth weight-139 g, Weight tonight-192 g +53 g

#6: Birth weight-100 g, Weight tonight-151 g +51 g