New foster mama-to-be and questions!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi TCS and thank you so much for existing.

I'm joining TCS today because of my recent foster mama, Rosie, who is extremely pregnant and truly looks ready to pop at any second. I picked her up last Thursday (thirteen days ago). Naturally, I have some questions as she is my first pregnant foster. I received an email from a rescue I work with saying a "very friendly" stray was caught in a TNR cage in a feral cat colony and needed an immediate foster or else she'd be euthanized by the spay/neuter clinic. I had just finished fostering an 8 week old kitten, nursing him from the brink of death (URI, pneumonia, conjunctivitis), and figured I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Some of the questions I have about Rosie include typical concerns about when she will end up having these little kits because she truly seems so uncomfortable and downright miserable at times. Miserable in the "I'm so pregnant get these little things out of me" way, not the sick/lethargic way. She's such a love bug, leading me to believe she was absolutely a pet at some point and likely was dumped. She's estimated to be 3 years old, so I can't imagine this is her first litter if she was in a feral cat colony for very long. 

She's finally begun to nest today, going in and out of the box I made for her (ignoring the very expensive playpen I bought for the sick kitten prior to her, of course). I would think that might mean it'll be soon? She likes to lay on my feet and hands, I think the pressure on her belly feels good, and I can still feel them kicking up a storm. Is it normal for kits to kick a lot right up until birth? They seem to be descending slowly, but I still feel and see movement. A weird question I have is about her nipples. She seems to only have seven that have perked up. The eighth is a little nub by her back legs that looks and feels like a normal, non-pregnant nipple. Is that normal? What could that mean if she ends up having a lot of kittens? I've had her on a grain-free kitten chow and daily wet food feedings. She won't ever eat a lot of wet though. Is there anything else I should be supplementing since her nutrition likely wasn't the best before? She won't touch KMR. I think the new food caused a bit of tummy upset, and she never seemed to make it into the litterbox. It was never downright diarrhea, but hovered close on the line between normal and not normal. She seems to be doing better since the first week of adjustments. 

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to share pictures of the babies soon!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi TCS and thank you so much for existing.

I'm joining TCS today because of my recent foster mama, Rosie, who is extremely pregnant and truly looks ready to pop at any second. I picked her up last Thursday (thirteen days ago). Naturally, I have some questions as she is my first pregnant foster. I received an email from a rescue I work with saying a "very friendly" stray was caught in a TNR cage in a feral cat colony and needed an immediate foster or else she'd be euthanized by the spay/neuter clinic. I had just finished fostering an 8 week old kitten, nursing him from the brink of death (URI, pneumonia, conjunctivitis), and figured I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.

Some of the questions I have about Rosie include typical concerns about when she will end up having these little kits because she truly seems so uncomfortable and downright miserable at times. Miserable in the "I'm so pregnant get these little things out of me" way, not the sick/lethargic way. She's such a love bug, leading me to believe she was absolutely a pet at some point and likely was dumped. She's estimated to be 3 years old, so I can't imagine this is her first litter if she was in a feral cat colony for very long. 

She's finally begun to nest today, going in and out of the box I made for her (ignoring the very expensive playpen I bought for the sick kitten prior to her, of course). I would think that might mean it'll be soon? She likes to lay on my feet and hands, I think the pressure on her belly feels good, and I can still feel them kicking up a storm. Is it normal for kits to kick a lot right up until birth? They seem to be descending slowly, but I still feel and see movement. A weird question I have is about her nipples. She seems to only have seven that have perked up. The eighth is a little nub by her back legs that looks and feels like a normal, non-pregnant nipple. Is that normal? What could that mean if she ends up having a lot of kittens? I've had her on a grain-free kitten chow and daily wet food feedings. She won't ever eat a lot of wet though. Is there anything else I should be supplementing since her nutrition likely wasn't the best before? She won't touch KMR. I think the new food caused a bit of tummy upset, and she never seemed to make it into the litterbox. It was never downright diarrhea, but hovered close on the line between normal and not normal. She seems to be doing better since the first week of adjustments. 

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to share pictures of the babies soon!
She seems not to have dropped as yet.  Although you hint she is perhaps on the verge of dropping.  Continue to rub her belly if she wants and allows.

If she gets a big litter, you can - and should - rotate the kittens - half taking their midday nap in an extra little nest with a heating pad, and half with momma.   I mean, if there are only 7 working nipples doesnt need to mean anything much.

Can you get raw goats milk?  this is always useful and sometimes has potential edge.  If you can only get processed goats milk, ie cartooned or powdered, its OK too, good nourishment.  Not better than KMR but OK to use and an alternative, as she doesnt likes KMR...  Take a full fat variation, no funny low fat diet variations.  Ie minimum 2,8%.

Her diarrhea may be part of nearing.  But if its much diarrhea, she needs extra salts and fluid.  Easiest is to give some bought  flavorless pedialyte for babies.    Otherwise you can make own -   I can give some recipes if necessary.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea could be from the hormones and could mean she is near... could be parasites like coccidian or giardia, but if it isn't a TON of diarrhea I might doubt that- it could also just be from the diet change. It sounds like she is close! Do you have a picture? My pregnant foster LOVES belly rubs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will see if I can find some goat's milk! She's actually started having the babies now. She's had two so far. They are so much tinier than I thought they'd be! One had some bubbles coming out of his nose, should I try to clear his airway or is he good? He was able to cry after about ten minutes, just worried about him. The other seems much bigger, but his umbilical cord is pretty long and had been wrapping around his leg. I'm assuming I should try to cut that off when I get time. I think baby #3 is coming now. I'll update everyone in a little.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also picked a tiny little box to have them. I'm worried about her crushing them. When can I move them/her or should I let them be?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I will see if I can find some goat's milk! She's actually started having the babies now. She's had two so far. They are so much tinier than I thought they'd be! One had some bubbles coming out of his nose, should I try to clear his airway or is he good? He was able to cry after about ten minutes, just worried about him. The other seems much bigger, but his umbilical cord is pretty long and had been wrapping around his leg. I'm assuming I should try to cut that off when I get time. I think baby #3 is coming now. I'll update everyone in a little.
Yes, do it asap.  Do you know  the slunging technique?   Otherwise you can try and suck out with a straw.  Not too hard!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These smallish you will have to look out with,  take their weights every 12 hours, be ready to supplement feed them.  Raw goats milk is excellent if you can get it ( I presume its taken from healthy goats with decent hygiene technique).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She feels secure in this little box.   Let her be so far.  Prepare a littel bigger nearby, so she perhaps moves voluntarily when she is done with the birthing.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one I was worried about with the bubbles coming out of his nose is now crying up a storm. Might that mean mama took care of it? She's up to baby number 4, three orange tabbies and a tux (she's a tortie). I know cats aren't supposed to eat more than 4 placentas but I have no idea how I'm supposed to get in there before she eats any more. I also can't tell if she's still laboring. And dang, no one prepared me for the smell! 

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's pushing again. On to baby 5!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

The one I was worried about with the bubbles coming out of his nose is now crying up a storm. Might that mean mama took care of it? She's up to baby number 4, three orange tabbies and a tux (she's a tortie). I know cats aren't supposed to eat more than 4 placentas but I have no idea how I'm supposed to get in there before she eats any more. I also can't tell if she's still laboring. And dang, no one prepared me for the smell! 
Lets hope the crying blew out the fluids.  but this is a major danger, the most common cause why healthy kittens gets pneumonia and dies.  Some breeders slung them all as a routine.  But the maneuver is dangerous if you dont know how to do it, that is why we arent mentioning it as a given routine.

If you cant reach for the placenta, its not the whole world unless they are  verry many.  If she is OK, no visible troubles, -  just wait and see if more comes.   :)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can move them to a bigger nest with clean blankets once mom is done. Go ahead and pinch off any cords about an inch from the naval if mom does not do it. She can eat the placenta.

When you get a chance later, weigh the kittens in grams so you can track gains.

Thanks for rescuing this mama!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. She's had six so far (four orange tabbies and two tuxes). All seem healthy and strong. Two are on the smaller side, but I'm going to let her clean everyone up before I weigh them. Her milk came in after the second was born. Is it common for a kitten to poop when it's born? I thought it might've been mama but it definitely came from the kitten. Also, is it okay she's eaten all six placentas?

She's still having shallow respirations but is not contracting anymore. The most recent was born about thirty minutes ago. I'm not sure if I should be expecting any more, because she seems so tired. Again, thanks everyone for the advice! I'll move them this evening into a better box because she was laying on one of the kittens. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a kitten can poop at birth. It's okay she ate all the placentas, but that many may cause a loose stool.

Mom may have after pains for a day or so. Please offer her a dish of kitten formula and/or wet food near or in her nest. She also needs rest.

Keep us posted! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sweet! Is the box big enough for mama to stretch out to nurse her kittens? It looks small in the picture.

oliviat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful family. I think you need a bigger box though. I have a cat who just had 6 babies herself 3 days ago. It's exciting watching them and mamma!

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sweet! Is the box big enough for mama to stretch out to nurse her kittens? It looks small in the picture.
I definitely agree! I had put this box out as a place for her to sleep because she was skittish the first few days and liked being enclosed. I never thought she'd choose this box for her birthing spot! She never even had her little nesting behaviors with this box once. I've since moved her to a much bigger box with a blanket draped over the front so it's more cave-like. I also made a mistake that she'd had two tuxes, she actually had a tux and a tortie! So I can safely assume the tortie is a female, but aren't there some sort of ways to guess the gender with the others? I know it'll probably take me a few days to gender them. 

I know I need to weigh them sooner than later. But I'm worried because I moved the babies into the box and Rosie didn't seem to like that so much. How much handling is too much handling? I can do it right in front of her of course. I just don't want her to ignore a kitten because of me. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Anytime you feel she is calm, just sit down in front of her with the scale, and gently/slowly weigh each baby.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weights 6-8 hours after birth:
 3/22 Noon 5-8 hrs post birth
#1 left ear red (4:56 AM)126 g
#2 right ear orange (5:14 AM)111 g

#3 both ears orange

(5:46 AM)
137 g
#4 Tux (5:35 AM)149 g
#5 No markings (6:19 AM)139 g
#6 Tortie (7:07 AM)100 g
The little tortie is by far the tiniest, and I''m positive this isn't her birth weight as I've seen her latch. The tux is the biggest in a noticeable way. I marked them with Sharpie marker since I don't have any nail polish. I know I'll probably have to reapply every day or so. I'm so excited for this little kitty family!