New Feral cat mom

aviya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,My name is Aviya.I live in the U.S.A. New York. I have had feline companions pretty much all my adult life.My most recent fella passed away March 2014.He lived with from kitten hood til 19 years old.Since then I have made a buddy with a outside cat,I don't think he was born feral.Over the past two years he felt comfortable enough to come in and eat and leave.However since August this year he has shown up with 2 kittens on various nights.Lets say this happen 4 times,the 2nd n 3rd the kittens followed him inside to eat.Last night my buddy showed up with 1 kitten he stayed for an hour then left leaving the kitten here with me.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though you may be on the cusp of a feral cat population explosion.  

...and welcome to the forum. 

Last edited:

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your buddy. It's pretty nice though he shared his life with you for 19 years =)

Also regarding the new visitors....I must agree with Kittypa! You have a kitty explosion on your hands!

If you have the time and resources to catch these kitties please try. Once you have them, or before you catch them, reach out to a rescue that will take them (try to contact a no-kill shelter).

These kitties, (and perhaps your buddy) may have a chance at having a home and not a life surviving on the streets & a shorten life span.

Keep feeding them and lure them enough so you can catch them. Keep watch though first for a few days. See if there are more kitties before you strike. 

If you are unable to catch these cats there are rescues that can help and who have lots of experience with catching cats. To find these rescues go to google and search "cat rescues", "cat shelters", "animal rescues", "Trap-Neuter-Return program"...and then add your zipcode in the search. 

Keep us updated!

xoxo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aviya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm confused. Why would a male cat be with kittens? How old are they?
HI I think the Kittens followed him because he is an outside wildcat and not feral.He is the most social and least threading. Or maybe he is just "showing them the ropes"

aviya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your buddy. It's pretty nice though he shared his life with you for 19 years =)

Also regarding the new visitors....I must agree with Kittypa! You have a kitty explosion on your hands!

If you have the time and resources to catch these kitties please try. Once you have them, or before you catch them, reach out to a rescue that will take them (try to contact a no-kill shelter).

These kitties, (and perhaps your buddy) may have a chance at having a home and not a life surviving on the streets & a shorten life span.

Keep feeding them and lure them enough so you can catch them. Keep watch though first for a few days. See if there are more kitties before you strike. 

If you are unable to catch these cats there are rescues that can help and who have lots of experience with catching cats. To find these rescues go to google and search "cat rescues", "cat shelters", "animal rescues", "Trap-Neuter-Return program"...and then add your zipcode in the search. 

Keep us updated!
xoxo
HI and thank you.I do greatly miss my cat.Im just really sure if I can get another cat.It getting harder for me when the end of life comes for them. Yet, I have not given up. I have been working on getting some agencies involved.Most are unable they are either overcrowded or don't have the funds for t-n-r. As far as catching those kittens Ha! When they do travel around with Mr.Boo (the male black cat)they won't even come near the food bowl if I'm in arms reach. Yeah,I know I went ahead and name him.I just can't get him to stay inside til morning so I can get him to a vet. He gets panicky and I'm afraid he gonna hurt himself trying to get out. It usually end up in let him out[emoji]128532[/emoji].

aviya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as though you may be on the cusp of a feral cat population explosion.  :(  

...and welcome to the forum. :wavey:
HI thank you for the welcome.Oh I hope not I have only seen those kittens and not consistently. Where I live is a combination of small wooded areas,apartment complexes,highways and houses with open yards. I've been told there has always been an cat population here.