cat overgrooming because of meds

weng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat (female, 1.5 yrs old) has been diagnosed with gastroenteritis and constipation, and is taking FLAGYL and LACTULOSE. I give them to her orally, every 12 hours. We are on day 4, so only 3 more to go. She ABSOLUTELY hates taking them, especially flagyl, creating foams in her mouth after i give it to her using a syringe. I noticed she now has bald spots under and at the side of her mouth where the foams/ spit usually run. My theory is she is overgrooming, even when I wipe her face with wet tissue after she takes the meds. Any thoughts on this? I am worried the bald spot get worse, but I don't want to stop the meds. I have asked my vet via Viber but they haven't replied yet. THANK YOU for all insights you might have.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since it's near the mouth you can't really do much because a cone wouldn't work. I'd call the vet to make sure she's not allergic and the foaming is a normal reaction. If it's normal and it's just bald spots not much will happen. If the skin is not irritated or breaking open then the hair will just grow back once you're done with the meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever considered trying another approach to giving her the meds? Hidden in lickable treats, tuna juice, baby food meat or other types of food that she might like? I don't know about what Flagyl tastes like, but many say the lactulose is not very pleasant tasting - perhaps your vet would be OK to switch your cat to Miralax. It is tasteless and can be mixed with most anything. Just keep the amount of food/treat small enough to know that your cat is taking all of the required dose each time.

I suggest finding a different way to administer the meds because I am not sure in the case of gastroenteritis that a 7 day regimen will resolve it entirely. Also, your cat may need something for constipation from time to time, and getting a better way to treat it would be helpful down the road.

Last edited:

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not much to add to Feebysowner's response. Some cats are just very difficult to pill. Mine really hates all liquids forms as well.I would try the methods listed above. Pills pockets can work as well, but you need to watch to ratio of med to the pocket to ensure that the med is taken.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give my cat Metronidazole aka Flagyl. I have it compounded through Wedgewood Pharmacy into a chicken flavored pill. It is much easier to give than the liquid. I can hide the pill in a pill pocket or just give it as a pill.

I have seen the lactulose cause the hardening of hair and hair loss around the mouth. You probably don’t have to give the entire dose at one time. It might be easier to give a little at a time throughout the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since it's near the mouth you can't really do much because a cone wouldn't work. I'd call the vet to make sure she's not allergic and the foaming is a normal reaction. If it's normal and it's just bald spots not much will happen. If the skin is not irritated or breaking open then the hair will just grow back once you're done with the meds.
Thanks. I will monitor if it gets worse than just balding. My vet did advise to make sure mouth area is dry after I give her meds.

weng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give my cat Metronidazole aka Flagyl. I have it compounded through Wedgewood Pharmacy into a chicken flavored pill. It is much easier to give than the liquid. I can hide the pill in a pill pocket or just give it as a pill.

I have seen the lactulose cause the hardening of hair and hair loss around the mouth. You probably don’t have to give the entire dose at one time. It might be easier to give a little at a time throughout the day.
I did not think it could be the lactulose in particular! Thanks for this.

weng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever considered trying another approach to giving her the meds? Hidden in lickable treats, tuna juice, baby food meat or other types of food that she might like? I don't know about what Flagyl tastes like, but many say the lactulose is not very pleasant tasting - perhaps your vet would be OK to switch your cat to Miralax. It is tasteless and can be mixed with most anything. Just keep the amount of food/treat small enough to know that your cat is taking all of the required dose each time.

I suggest finding a different way to administer the meds because I am not sure in the case of gastroenteritis that a 7 day regimen will resolve it entirely. Also, your cat may need something for constipation from time to time, and getting a better way to treat it would be helpful down the road.
Thank you. What works so far is giving her treats before and after the meds. It also helps if I were the only one to administer it (instead of me holding her and my husband holding the syringe). Her reactions over the days became less dramatic, but yes she still hates it. I will make sure to raise all of your ideas with the vet. And thanks for helping me manage my expectations about her conditions...I really did hope they would go away after the 7-day meds. :(

weng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not much to add to Feebysowner's response. Some cats are just very difficult to pill. Mine really hates all liquids forms as well.I would try the methods listed above. Pills pockets can work as well, but you need to watch to ratio of med to the pocket to ensure that the med is taken.
I will keep this in mind especially if this becomes a long term thing. Thank you.