New cat is being rude to my resident cats

therapy cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just adopted an 8 lb orange tabby - age 18 months.  Same age as my two resident cats.  He was on a farm in S. C. in a "cat room".  He was pretty afraid of me for the first week - hiding under the bed and when he did come out he would become over anxious and swat at me and bite me.  I then read not to use my hands, but related to him with toys.  My resident cats came from foster homes, and were tame and loving from the start. This week, he was allowed to meet my resident cats.  After the first spits, my sweet tuxedo cat really was friendly and Keaton seemed to enjoy it.  But when I watch his behavior - he takes over all the toys, and my resident cats are low keyed and stay away.  I have noticed over the past two days that he actually chases at smacks by gentle Tux, and my Tux runs away and sits under the table, or climbs to the top of his cat tree to feel safe.  I am away all week at work and just get to spend time with them at night and weekends.  I don't want to yell at the new guy, nor lock him up all day.  I pet him and tell him he's a good boy, and let him watch me pet and love up my resident cats too.  How do I treat his show off behavior - taking over their toys, and chasing my sweet guys around THEIR house?

shmopsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have the same problem, where our new cat "bullies" our resident cat, who is a very sweet and mellow boy and never retaliates. We haven't figured out how to get her to stop the bullying, but we "punish" her whenever she does it by not giving her attention immediately afterwards. She is a total lap cat and loves attention, though I can't say it is really working. I just think that loving her up right after she was mean to our boy would make her think that this behavior is normal and even desired.

I can only say that you need to give it time. It has been 6 months for us, and things are better, though far from perfect. At least, he is now allowed to walk by her without getting hissed and swatted for the most part. I would also separate them at this point  when you are not home so your resident cats can feel more comfortable at least some of the time. Other things that I have seen suggested is to reinforce positive associations through food (i.e. feed them next to each other or give treats together) and mutual play.

Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, think it is a 'time' thing, mine took over a year to get along. Your new one is very insecure right now, and is used to fighting for everything he gets because of being with so many at the farm. The dynamics will change with time, my most timid cat finally had enough and fought back and things changed dramatically. They will work everything out in time, have faith! I also agree to give everyone treats together and try to have them play in the same area. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

therapy cat mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement!  I love Keaton, but I feel for my older guys, who just lost a brother (which is why we adopted Keaton).  They are such loving, wonderful guys and I want this to work out for us all.  I guess I am not giving it enough time.  The new guy is so spunky that I sometimes feel nervous reaching over and scratching his head, in case he hooks out at me.  This hasn't happened since he has learned to trust me more, and it will help when the vet cuts his nails next week at his vet visit!  thanks for the encouragement again everyone!