new cat companion for Midnight- and Midnight doesn't like it

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do pregnant cats have a smell about them that only cats can discern?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do pregnant cats have a smell about them that only cats can discern?
It has been thought for years that pregnant women emit an odor or a "hormone" they can smell that lets them know they are pregnant... It could also be sound.  They hear things far better.  So maybe they hear the little ones moving or heartbeats?  We are not sure but animals just seem to "know" when a human is pregnant, so why not their own species?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe that's why midnight seems so interested in fancy but doubtful at same time. Possible?
Of course if fancy isn't pregnant then that idea will go where all bad ideas go!

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi new here and dont know if this will help. But i have three cats now and when i got princess who is now 7 years old i knew i wanted another cat so when she turned 1 we got romeo ( now 6 years old ) we never let them in the same room for about a week then we put romeo in hiss carrier and let her smell him and get used to him i done that with the carrier for about 3 days then we let him out and princess had a few hisses at him. We never left then alone at night. One morning my husband got up let romeo out off the room and went to make a coffee and princess had the little kitten by the neck trying to kill him. We told her off sent her to the naughty room for a hour she came out and they have been best friends since ( apart from the odd fight here and there )
Then i wanted another kitten so we got one last year and we did the same romeo didnt like rebel but princess was fine. We had rebel at nine weeks old he is now 6 months and romeo is just getting back to normal with us he started hissing as he is and always will be the alpha now. The little one is scared off him. He will not go right up to him but hit him and run. Its so funny to watch. I got that worried about romeo i thought he was ill but the vet said he had depreesion cuz of new kitten.
Cats dont you just love them meowwwww.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well right now im on the pc, Ian is sleeping on the couch. Fancy is sitting on his lap. Midnight is stalking towards them

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, i think Fancy is pregnant. Her nipples are normal color but they are HUGE. Also she pees a lot. Like 3 times more than Midnight.

Last night I came home- MIdnight was clearly upset- she was swiping at the hallway door- Fancy was in the hallway. Then she sat on my monitor, tried to swipe at me and making a half growl half cry sound- she wouldnt let anyone touch her. So I restricted fancy to the bedroom, and gave Midnight all love and treats and she is now back on her finally happy mellow adorable self.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a stalemate of sorts?

ok so Fancy has been here for 4 weeks now.

They can stay in the same room without us around- not happy about it but begrudgingly coexisting.

There has been one violent incident- midnight ran at Fancy, hit her with her paw then ran away. No claws, no blood spilled, Fancy is pretty unfazed.

Midnight will stalk the livingroom door if fancy is in the corridor hissing and trying to stop Fancy getting in by hissing from behind the door. If Midnight is on her cat tree when fancy gets in the room she will stare but no hissing or growling.

I left them alone for a coupla hours and came back to find peace and quiet.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 months in

they are sleeping in the same room and are most of the time ignoring each other. However if they have to go past each other at less than half a meter- 1.5 ft- there's hissing and growling from Midnight. Fancy responds by hissing.

I think Midnight is just afraid of Fancy- she tries to bolt past her as fast as possible to get to her spots.

However, I think she is seriously coming around. Aside from the times when Fancy is too close for her comfort-Midnight has always been notoriously skittish and not very affectionate- she has all the signs of a happy cat. She's not a very purry cat but she accepts affection on her own terms, sits as close to us as she likes and enjoys treats and belly rubs.
She is not distraught or miserable just maybe a bit annoyed and she has been growing. I think she is no longer lonely or bored.

Two days ago I found Fancy sleeping in the box section of the cat tree, which is Midnight's territory.  At first Midnight was upset and I had to remove Fancy from the box. yesterday I found fancy in the box and Midnight on top, peaceful.

they will eat from each other's bowl or routinely step into each other's cardboard box.

so... does it count as success? Midnight is still somewhat frustrated and shows it by loud meows at times.

Fancy doesn't care, she is a happy lappy purrmachine.