new cat companion for Midnight- and Midnight doesn't like it

papermoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My girl cat Diva (She run's things) still hisses at my new kitten and its already been almost 2 weeks now =(
Its gotten better in this sense, she goes up to the kitten to sniff him but hisses at the same time

But she doesn't want to be in the same room with the kitten for too long meaning she doesn't sleep in her cat bad anymore that's in my room =(

I got Feliaway but I don't think its working at all....(I even let her sniff it and it didn't calm her down).
Try these instead. Diva didn't eat them, but she licked it and when the kitten passed by her she didn't hiss!! =D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well it's 4 days now. Midnight can tolerate being in the same room with Fancy without hissing... unless Fancy gets closer.

But Fancy who is very mellow and easy going just wants to go to her room.

Midnight is calmer towards us seems she's ok with the whole another cat in the house concept as long as she doesn't see Fancy.
proigress and dreamies treats

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
day 5:

i brought Fancy in the room with Midnight. Midnight was on the top of the cat tree, no hissing no growling. I held Fancy for a bit to calm her. Then let her down. She started to walk, smelled Midnight's waterbowl and tried o niff her food. I told her no. Fancy went to her room. Midnight only hissed after fancy left the room. Midnight is a bit tense but calmer and doesn't hiss around her, nor does she seem to be distressed. Yesterday I found her on the hallway half the way to my bedroom where Fancy lives. Midnight is no longer hostile to us either.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
day 6

I brought Fancy in and made her stay in the livingroom for a bit. At first her and midnight just spent about 10 minutes staring at each other- fancy near the door and Midnight on top of the cat tree. Then fancy explored around for a bit and went to her room.

A couple of hours later fancy came in the livingroom on her own, walked around for a bit then went to her room. Midnight is still on the cattree, she hissed a little and after Fancy left meowed complainingly and hissed because my hands smelled of Fancy. Now she's staring at me.

I try to show Midnight a lot of love but she has always been strange- she  only wants affection on her own terms. 10 minutes after fancy left I called her name- she always responds greeting me with a soft mew- she smelled my hand and let me pet her.

i think it's good progress but i am concerned because i have to go to work tomorrow. Do i let them roam or lock one of the doors?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lock them up. They're not ready to be let free unsupervised yet. You'll sit.at work worrying about what you'll find when youget hhome. For Midnight'Sunday SakLe Jeep Them Apart When You re

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that..

For midnight'a sake let him enjoy a few hours of peace.
that's my opinion.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Locked fancy in her room and gave midnight run of the place.
She is curious about Fancy s smell she sniffed the scent swap jumper for a while.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated for sure until they're not growling at each other when you're not home. If they happen to get into a fight (unlikely) you could very easily have to start from square one again.

But trust me you're doing great and so are the kitties!

I've seen as much progress as your girls have made take over a month to reach. Heck I have two girls that still hate each other after 4 years.

Also as @Stewball  says keeping them locked up apart from each other gives each one a break and time de-stress and explore with a human interfering in there process.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they are curious about each other. Midnight, who is the more skittish of them, has been making courage to go to Fancy's room- she now gets off her high cat tree and goes close to the bedroom door.

if Fancy comes into the livingroom Midnight is tense but doesn't normally make any noises, just paying attention while Fancy walks about.

last night however Fancy came in the livingroom and Midnight was not on the cat tree so there was a standoff- they stood at about 4 ft of each other growling softly.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well for the past hour i have both in the same room staring at each other but no more growling and hissing.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
spoke too soon, they almost jumped at each other- they got a bit too close- 5 feet.

sent Fancy to her room.

but still, they spent time in the same room for over an hour.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Lesson: they are ok with each other if not getting too close. Midnight is not distressed, - she gets that yes there is another cat in the house and is of two minds about her.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Lesson: they are ok with each other if not getting too close. Midnight is not distressed, - she gets that yes there is another cat in the house and is of two minds about her.
but they're no where near to being left on their own unsupervised.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, there's progress being made- mainly because of curiosity.

last night when i got back from work, me and Ian and Midnight were in the livingroom, so fancy came in. she got petted and spoiled and ended up napping on the loveseat.  Midnight was first on the floor then got on her cat tree- they were in the same room for over an hour with only one hissing incident. Midnigth was staring as Fancy was cuddling with Ian. I went to the cat tree fussed midnight and gave her treats- all ok.

This morning, Midnight came by herself into the bedroom where Fancy lives.  Fancy got out the wardrobe stretched, looked at her- no hissing etc.

In the livingroom right now- Midnight is running amok like she used to do before fancy got here.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no, not yet. But with us in the room they are both comfortable napping

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
progress:

Fancy can sleep in the same room with Midnight

Midnight can nap in the same room with Fancy

they came within 3 foot of each other without attacking or even hissing or growling, just a bit of a tense standoff.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am amazed! I have 4 cats already, and so far no problems at all except for his jumpiness, but he's been lap- sitting now.
All I can say about it is to be sure and give your girl extra loving attention so she knows that she is still loved and is your " top cat". It sounds like your new one is an Alpha Female. Usually with a little time they will work things out between themselves. But be sure to bring your first baby into your room for extra snuggles. Even close the door for no interference from kitty 2. That's what I do with my girl, and it seems to help. She may not be the Alpha, but she knows I'm her person first. And she is a one- person Kitty. This is Sarah, whose photo is in my gallery. The big, fluffy Chantilly. I have two more females and I think they've somehow divided that Alpha position between them. Sarah's last, but doesn't care so long as she's my number one.
Good luck! Let me know how things progress and maybe I can come up with something else.
My sister has eleven cats and somehow they get along very well. I'll ask if she has any thoughts on this too.

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight gets love and fussing and cuddles but she's not a very affectionate cat. Maybe because I am out of the house most of the time... I try to show her all the love, she enjoys it and plays with me then there's Fancy and midnight gets mardy.

she's curious about Fancy- but still hissy- she'd go near Fancy, hiss and run :)