New American Idol Judges...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard last night that it was a done deal and that Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler would be the new judges next season. I wasn't too happy to hear this, Jen might do well but Tyler is...how shall I say, spaced out most of the time so don't know how good of a judge he would be. The news said it was a done deal but who knows, well I rather have Tyler than Howard Stern, than I would rethink watching the show. The only really good thing I read was Kara would not be back and that is fine with me.

Idol fans, what do you think about these supposedly two new judges??

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least with Steven Tyler, they would have someone who has a concept of how music is written, someone who actually writes and plays his own music. Not much of an idol fan but Tyler may be incentive to watch a bit. Not sure about Lopea - ain't she an actress and wannabe pop singer who doesn't write her own stuff??

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

At least with Steven Tyler, they would have someone who has a concept of how music is written, someone who actually writes and plays his own music. Not much of an idol fan but Tyler may be incentive to watch a bit. Not sure about Lopea - ain't she an actress and wannabe pop singer who doesn't write her own stuff??
I'm a big Aerosmith fan and a big Tyler fan. Not fond of American Idol at all, but I will now at least check it out from time to time (probably with the sound muted, so I don't have to listen to all that ridiculous screaming). While I still won't make a habit of watching it, I probably will tune in for a few minutes here and there. And that's because of Steven Tyler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I'm a big Aerosmith fan and a big Tyler fan. Not fond of American Idol at all, but I will now at least check it out from time to time (probably with the sound muted, so I don't have to listen to all that ridiculous screaming). While I still won't make a habit of watching it, I probably will tune in for a few minutes here and there. And that's because of Steven Tyler.
I knew this would peak your interest Pam knowing how you love Aerosmith

Oh yeah, by the way Tyler screams more than any other idol contestant so you should be used to it.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with you that Lopez has no talent whatsoever, I'll be checking out her fashion tho. If Tyler remains sober, he may be an interesting judge. I just can't look at his big ugly face for long tho

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't watch it this past year, I'm an Ellen fan, but just couldn't imagine her as a judge
my mom said she did good tho
but honestly, I think Idol has "jumped the shark" with them bringing in these big names judges, I most likely will not watch it again, i'll stick to my dancing shows

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I didn't watch it this past year, I'm an Ellen fan, but just couldn't imagine her as a judge
my mom said she did good tho
but honestly, I think Idol has "jumped the shark" with them bringing in these big names judges, I most likely will not watch it again, i'll stick to my dancing shows
I really believe the show is headed downhill, without Simon that show will never be the same, it can only get worse. I also enjoy the dancing shows, they are getting more popular than Idol.

I'm a big Ellen fan also but that gig was definitely not for her.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a huge Aerosmith fan. I don't like reality TV, but I would even be tempted to tune in to see him. Plus he has mega musical talent, so who better to judge a wannabe music star?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been an Aerosmith fan for well over 30 years! They're an incredible group; the fact that they've managed to change and stay popular through all those years says a lot of about them. And Tyler is a great frontman for the group. I still like him. And I still enjoy his singing.

So "Dream On"!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously disappointed. I was hoping they would take the show in a different direction and make it all about the talent and not about the judges, but I guess they're going to make it even more about the judges.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Seriously disappointed. I was hoping they would take the show in a different direction and make it all about the talent and not about the judges, but I guess they're going to make it even more about the judges.
I don't watch it.

But as others have said, it sounds like the show is on its way out so they need to try and draw people in, hence bringing in well known popular people.

Frankly I would love to see the end of ALL reality TV.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

A talent show, or for that matter, any competitoin has to be about the judges to a certain extent. For example, if you were to enter your cat in a cat show, would you want a certified sheep judge making the call? Of course not, you would want a cat judge. By the same token, for a musical competion, you want judges that have a high degree of musical competence be the judge Steven Tyler, Merle Haggard or just some good session musician and a talk show host just doesn't cut it. It also helps that the musician has a good ear and is also a composer and therefore understands structure and delivery; that is not someone who makes canned music slated to teeny-boppers who want everyone to sound the same.

The broadcast talent shows began to gain popularity under Arther Godfrey, himeslf a musician. His discoveries included Patsy Cline, Pat Boone, Roy Clark and Tony Bennet although he rejected Elvis and The Four Freshmen. Idol is nothing more than a revamp of Godfrey's Talent Scouts with lots of glitz and hype.

I also think Idol has run its course. Cowell is not one to hang around the floundering ship but is going to cut his losses - American Idol went too much over the top from the original and is rapidly becoming the bloated monster that ate itself. Canadian Idol shut it down already after 4 seasons, probably a wise move as the last year, veiwership dropped dramatically while American Idol plows on relentlessly, shoveling more money into the beast to keep it afloat.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The broadcast talent shows began to gain popularity under Arther Godfrey, himeslf a musician. His discoveries included Patsy Cline, Pat Boone, Roy Clark and Tony Bennet although he rejected Elvis and The Four Freshmen. Idol is nothing more than a revamp of Godfrey's Talent Scouts with lots of glitz and hype.

LOL, I doubt most people here have ever heard of Arthur Godfrey, I remember watching his show as a kid, my parents loved him. As long as people like to compete there will always be talent shows, that's the only way they can show it.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I've been an Aerosmith fan for well over 30 years! They're an incredible group; the fact that they've managed to change and stay popular through all those years says a lot of about them. And Tyler is a great frontman for the group. I still like him. And I still enjoy his singing.

So "Dream On"!
Dream On....is that the name of an Aerosmith song, never heard of that one.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here ya go: Dream On www.youtube.com

ETA - you're probably right about Godfrey and few left that will remember him. I enjoyed his shows and appearances, he was a skilled man at entertaining. Of course I also remember Uncle Milty, Red Skelton, etc, when they were not old.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

Dream On....is that the name of an Aerosmith song, never heard of that one.
Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Yeah, I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is in books' written pages
Lived and learned from fools and
From sages
You know it's true
All the things come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laugh, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away, yeah

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laugh, sing for the tear
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Dream On Dream On Dream On
Dream until the dream come true
Dream until your dream comes true
Dream On Dream On
Dream On Dream On

Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away...
My sister told me yesterday that she'd heard Harry Connick, Jr. was in the running to be a judge. If he was on the show, I might actually watch it!!! And I'd rather Steve Tyler be a judge than Hennifer Lopez. Not a fan of that woman...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here ya go: Dream On www.youtube.com

ETA - you're probably right about Godfrey and few left that will remember him. I enjoyed his shows and appearances, he was a skilled man at entertaining. Of course I also remember Uncle Milty, Red Skelton, etc, when they were not old.
We're showing our age here,
Gotta say those were the days, life was so much simpler then.

The dog days of summer are here.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

We're showing our age here,
Gotta say those were the days, life was so much simpler then.

The dog days of summer are here.
What really bothers me about showing my age, I remember when the first tv station came on air here, mid 50s AND I remember hearing radio programs with actual actors rather than just DJs