New Affordable PetSmart Brand! =D

patrick david

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 2 new kittens love the kitten wet food, so much so that they prefer it over the royal canin

sue marchant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw the wet food at Pet Smart a couple of days ago and bought one can. I have 3 cats that eat wet and dry food twice/day. They have been eating Fancy Feast and only like the ones with some 'gravy' which I don't think is very good for them. Two of them are overweight and eat SD prescription metabolic dry food which is outrageously expensive, And since I buy that for two of them, the third cat eats it also.  I keep trying to give them a no grain healthier wet food (dry food too) but they usually won't eat much of it or any of it.  This morning I gave them the can of Good Natured and they really liked it (of course they are hungriest in the morning so I'll see if they eat it as enthusiastically later today).  I think I'll buy a bag of dry food and try it. I recently bought Chicken Soup for the Soul dry food and have been mixing it in with the Metabolic. They leave the Chick dry in the bowl but eventually come back and finish it off.  It would be so nice if they would eat a healthier diet and a plus if it is more affordable.  The Good Natured canned food is more expensive than the Fancy Feast but the dry food might be a little less than the Metabolic. Even if I don't save money, I want them to be healthy.

Sue

jmaverickg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got a new kitten that is about 12 weeks old and did everything that's suggest to introduce him into a new home and was using the same Purina Kitten food that the previous home was using. At the 4th day I was getting really concerned because he wasn't eating at all, just drinking his water.  Long story short, we received a Free Bag of this food at Petsmart from a coupon book and so I decided that an upset stomach might be better than not eating at all, so we put down a portion of this food and he started eating it immediately, and has done so for the past 4 days now without any trouble.  I know enough about changing their diets to know that this isn't recommended to just immediately change it, but I have to say that without all the "extra" fillers and such, it has been a very smooth transition and he absolutely loves it.   

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought a ton of the cans on sale. The ingredients look good but I'm not very happy with it.. only 8% protien and 2% fat! That might be fine for older cats though?

Also it looks like chopped Spam and Veg-All :(

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks gross. My cats would turn their noses up at it!
Yeah, mine gave it the old "sniff it, then paw the floor and walk away" treatment. If it has anything but meat in it, they won't touch it. Then again, they'll do the same with any wet food whose consistency isn't acceptable to them. They won't touch pate of any kind, the fussy jerks.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried the canned variety to add some variety. Unfortunately it looks like every variety has a significant amount of fish in it even though the labels don't mention the fish. They smell funky too and the cats weren't exceptionally excited about it.

mark hall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The adult can formula I looked at on PetSmart.com shows 8.5% protein and 4.0% fat (Cuts in Gravy Chicken, Turkey & Vegitable Recipe - Grain Free).

The kitten formula has 9.5% protein and 5.5% fat (Fish & Vegetable Recipe Pate).

So I think it just matters on which of the Good Natured foods you select.  However, all cans say they meet the AAFCO nutrient profiles.

sattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently bought the Pet Smart soft food for cats...because one of my cats cant eat dry food much anymore. ( Its in a refrigerator at the supermarket )  But, what scared me the most (and i tried it twice.)  Was trying to heat it up slightly to take the chill off.  And to my surprise ?  The food sparks in the microwave.  Like if you put metal in it..  something is not right with that food. Nothing could have that much metal in it and then expect me to feed my pet that.  Just letting you or anyone else that reads this. 

Update  01/28/2017  The Brand im talking about is not Pet Smart. Its called " Fresh Pet " And you find it in a cooler .Same size as a drink cooler. This is the brand that sparks in the Microwave.. Sick

Last edited:

sattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you saying its food made in china ?  I never would have bought it

sattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The soft food makes sparks in the microwave like a metal spoon  would.  I will not feed that to my cat again

greypaws

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

The soft food makes sparks in the microwave like a metal spoon  would.  I will not feed that to my cat again
OMG that is scary beyond words. I'd contact the company and let them know. Hope you saved your packaging, maybe something wrong with that lot? 

I don't feed this brand but that's what I'd do if this happened to me.

sattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update  01/28/2017  The Brand im talking about is not Pet Smart. Its called " Fresh Pet " And you find it in a cooler .Same size as a drink cooler. This is the brand that sparks in the Microwave.. Sick

Edited by sattycat - Today at 8:22 pm

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find how much of the minerals they are putting in, but the ingredients list a fair number of mineral supplementation.  It's possible that the added iron, zinc and copper were what was causing that effect.  I one time made the mistake of putting a cup with just a trace of gold leaf in the microwave and that teeny bit of gold actually had more sparks than my early microwave mistakes with a solid metal object.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to stay away from food with ingredients I can't pronounce. I figure if a food needs all that junk to meet a cats needs then it is bad quality meats (butcher floor scraps, mystery meat etc)

I won't touch Spam either though it worked when my cat was refusing to eat from a cold

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have recently bought the Pet Smart soft food for cats...because one of my cats cant eat dry food much anymore. ( Its in a refrigerator at the supermarket )  But, what scared me the most (and i tried it twice.)  Was trying to heat it up slightly to take the chill off.  And to my surprise ?  The food sparks in the microwave.  Like if you put metal in it..  something is not right with that food. Nothing could have that much metal in it and then expect me to feed my pet that.  Just letting you or anyone else that reads this. 

I would STOP using your microwave go through steps online

how to check if machine is OK