New addition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL, I can just imagine it.

I can see kitten doing the same

I think she may need some probiotics, didn't know they made them for cats, thanks

Last edited:

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, continuation of Kat-Kat's problem.

I've been 'feeding' him the antibiotic vet gave (sold) me religiously but his limp is much worse last few days.

He 'let' me roll him over and cradle him earlier he's got a lump at about mid 'forearm'

Has a much smaller bump on left leg so I don't know if it's normal or if he has something burrowed below skin?

I don't know what to do now, I'll call vet Monday but really can't afford another $180.00 (trivial thing like mortgage and insurance get in the way)

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know what oils will be best for Kat?

I hate to see him limping around

I know main answer will be cat specific stuff but I really can't afford to buy anything new

I have Omega-3 capsules (fish oil concentrate) I can't take it since Dr. tried to kill me with Lovaza overdose (recommended 4 times regular dose, caused me a few isssues)

Flaxseed oil capsules (Omega 3, 6, 9)

I'm not allergic to it so I take it daily

I also have Lovaza, concentrated fish oil, it's at least double the 'strength' of normal fish oil concentrates (I developed allergy to it but would prefer not to waste it if possible)

Last edited:

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear Kat's still having trouble.   Would it be worth trying another vet to see if they'd be more flexible about costs?    I had good luck with fish oil and one of my old arthritic kitties.   I'd use a syringe with a needle on it to pull the oil out of the capsule and then I'd put the oil in a #3 or #4 size empty gel cap and pill the cat and give a water chaser with another syringe - those gel caps can get stuck in the throat otherwise.   She was a pro at taking pills so this wasn't stressful - putting it on the food was hit or miss as she didn't care of the taste.   I gave it at 1/20th the human dose and it did help her and her coat.   I hope that helps and Kat improves!

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried 0.5ml of Lovaza with a syringe

Got about half of it in him (he just hates being held down for medicine) squirted the rest onto his front leg, knowing he will lick it off or leave it if it tasted nasty.

He seemed quite happy to be licking it off his leg.

He was still limping slightly last night but was so 'happy' he was 'hunting' kitten and they were wrestling on front lawn

Pauli was following me around, while I was looking for him, I didn't even know he was there as it was getting dark

It's real funny to watch him play attack and roll onto his back so she can 'bite' his belly

The good news, he's walking pretty good this morning even though I can now see his leg is slightly swollen

He's able to straighten it and put weight on it

I'll give him his antibiotic in about an hour (if I can find him, he 'disappears' when he feels better)

I won't give him any Lovaza today but will try the Omega-3.

Thanks for the tip about using needle to remove oil from capsule, I made a great mess cutting the top off, fingers still smell of it.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the tip about using needle to remove oil from capsule, I made a great mess cutting the top off, fingers still smell of it.
Yes, stinky stuff
!   I just make a pinhole in one end and then squeeze the contents into his mouth.. but a syringe makes sense as you can get it in further and are less likely to end up wearing it

I'm glad Kat-Kat seems to be improving.. sometimes on antibiotics things seem to get worse before they get better..But please do try to get him to the vet if he's nearing the end of his antibiotics and it isn't completely cleared.  See if you can talk to the vet and organise something if that's the case, as stopping antibiotics before something is completely cured can lead to a nasty, stronger recurrence.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

He's feeling a LOT better, fought me pretty good as he really didn't want antibiotics today (struggled but didn't claw at all)

Vet wasn't too specific so I'll continue with them until it's all gone (1ml a day, 20ml bottle)

He looks a bit chubby but it's a lot of muscle

I didn't give him any fish oil yesterday, trying him on Omega-3 today, wasn't happy about being 'force fed' but not too bad, probably knows it's good for him? (obviously he can smell fish oil so doesn't fight as much)

I sharpened a needle from printer re-filling kit to puncture capsule, still got some oil on me but no where near as much as cutting the top off

Kat seems pretty relaxed now, taking a nap

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

He's feeling a LOT better, fought me pretty good as he really didn't want antibiotics today (struggled but didn't claw at all)

Vet wasn't too specific so I'll continue with them until it's all gone (1ml a day, 20ml bottle)

He looks a bit chubby but it's a lot of muscle

I didn't give him any fish oil yesterday, trying him on Omega-3 today, wasn't happy about being 'force fed' but not too bad, probably knows it's good for him? (obviously he can smell fish oil so doesn't fight as much)

I sharpened a needle from printer re-filling kit to puncture capsule, still got some oil on me but no where near as much as cutting the top off

Kat seems pretty relaxed now, taking a nap

Good to hear 

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kat-Kat has been grooming Pauli and, they even started sharing food again

It's really funny to watch them pushing each other to get noses in the bowl, particularly as there are 3 bowls there

Kat-Kat did eventually get into the 'dry' food in the middle and was swapping between all 3 bowls of food, guess he really likes the different flavors

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Kat-Kat did eventually get into the 'dry' food in the middle and was swapping between all 3 bowls of food, guess he really likes the different flavors
I think they just hate to think they're missing out on anything

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't see it but found out something real interesting about kitten and probably why Kat is hissing at her

Friend came round and was sat out back on patio

To set the scene.....................................

It was just getting dark

. We have a flat roof over about half of it, (patio about 14 ft deep, roof about 8ft )

I park my motorcycle there and to prevent weather getting at bike I've attached a tarp just under gutter

Kitten somehow got up on the roof and was 'crying' to Brendon.

Kat-Kat came up to see what the commotion was, turned to Brendon, and .................................................................................Pauli slid down the tarp on top of Kat-Kat

Kat was real surprised (probably an understatement, Brendon couldn't believe it but found it pretty hilarious

Brendon puts up with my stories of how funny the pair of them can be but it's the first time he's seen Pauli do anything like that (and I missed it)

I'm imagining her doing a 'Kato' on Inspector Clouseau, he never knows where she is going to attack him from (and I have no idea how she got up there, even though she seems to be 'part spider monkey'

They were tearing around the front yard/lawn about 10 mins later

Kat has disappeared at present Pauli is crashed out on favorite chair

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been away for awhile! Had to catch up on life with your "spider monkeys" :lol3: Glad to hear that Kat is doing better with that paw. Maybe he got on the roof somehow early on and that is how he injured that paw. :dk: Kat does look chubby but he is just a big boy. My Walden is about that size - just a BIG BOY with a heart of pure gold. Pauli sounds like a bundle of energy. You certainly love your silly kitties. :D :clap:

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, wasn't Kat on the roof, he isn't a climber at all.

On the other hand, Pauli is the only cat I've ever seen who can run up a tree like she's still running on flat ground (kinda reminds me of parkour video's I've seen)

Brendon and I were out in driveway the other evening, (I was 'supervising' him working on his bike)

Both cats were tearing around like crazy, Kat-Kat was almost invisible' and almost silent (even when sprinting flat out)

Pauli, clumping around like a baby elephant

Whatever was wrong with Kat-Kat, it's over, they are 'BFF's' again, even in the house.

Kat has also lost a LOT of weight since he's started tearing around again, no longer has a 'round' face

(link to video's in case you've never seen/heard of parkour )

http://weburbanist.com/2008/04/16/1...mazing-building-jumping-and-urban-acrobatics/

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, she is pretty incredible.

She's probably 'longer' than Kat-Kat when fully stretched out but only about 1/2 as wide (her head is about half the size of his)

It's like Mike Tyson and a supermodel

Something REALLY, REALLY, REALLY weird happened last night about 4;00am (I mean REALLY weird)

As usual I couldn't sleep (3 herniated discs, just I case I hadn't mentioned previously?)

I could feel a cat walking around on my bed.

At first I thought I was in that 'dream state'  you get when falling asleep.

Thought it was Pauli but I couldn't find her (plus, she was outside sleeping when I went to bed)

Completely awake, I started searching around (just in case someone had gotten into house and at had come in with them - scary though, possibly being burgularised?)

Anyway, nothing happening, went back to bed.

Next thing, I could feel a cat moving around again, but, there's NOTHING THERE. (both cats still outside)

Looks like I either have a ghost cat or they can transcend dimensions?

Either way, it's real strange and slightly worrying (not knowing whats happening)

I did eventually fall asleep, whatever it was doesn't mean any harm, just want's company (it's still real strange though, I'm pretty cynical about stuff)

Last edited:

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was going to be below freezing last night so I brought both cats in.

Pauli was pretty happy and crashed out on bed almost instantly (had to 'clean out' food bowls first
)

It felt exactly like the previous night when there was nothing there. Still no idea what happened but I'm OK with it

Kat-Kat was prowling about and got 'sulks' when I wouldn't let him back out.

He did settle down OK though, went out about 7:30 then didn't come back until 11:30 for 'breakfast'

He's taking a nap now, kitten  is crying to come back in, she thinks she's missing something

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update for the week

Cats have been playing real nice together

Wicked commotion about 4:00am the other night, I thought the resident possum or maybe a raccoon had 'got' Pauli (she was screaming like crazy)

Hit all the lights and went out to find Kat-Kat being ultra protective chasing a white and black cay about twice his size all over the yard

There is something in that tree she wants?

I still don't know how she gets up there but I found out how she gets down - she 'runs' own the wall onto the planter in front of front door

Couldn't get a picture but she was playing with a lizard the other morning.

She was laying on her right side pawing at it while I was watching (and thinking about rescuing it)

Tossing it around and having a great time - until it grabbed onto one of her toes

Last edited:

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update.

It's been real cold in central Florida last few days, down to the 20's (even kept fire burning for 3 days)

Kat totally refuses to stay indoors, I did keep him in Friday night but he was pretty naughty, pushed phone and charger off bedside cabinet my small change, wallet, book I was reading, etc.

I moved a few things around on patio to keep draught off him (Pauli stayed out last night as well but came and butted me this morning until I let her under the covers to warm up)

Tonight, I guess he's not feeling so good, using my ankle as a 'pillow' and covered up with wife's 'snugee', (she covered him up and fussed him before she went to bed)

Last edited: