New 6 month old terriozing 4 year old.

zazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HELP! I have a 27 year old son, (only child) we live together, and he has a 6 year old . My Granddaughter's Mother recently had to move from her home down state into her mothers home, and My Granddaughter was heartbroken to think she would have to give her new kitty, Charlie away.  Now mind you I have a very small 21/2 bedroom apartment, and I have one BEAUTIFUL grey tabby Zazzy! HE IS MY LOVE.  I DID NOT WANT TO TAKE THE NEW KITTEN INTO THIS SMALL APARTMENT, WITH MY ZAZZY HERE, but could not tell my Granddaughter no, ( of course she is my world). So I have had the Cat charlie for over a week, He will not stay in the "safe" room, I tried slow introduction but charlie just claws and cries to come out, so I let him out after, two days and scent swapping. Zazzy hissed alot and now want's to go near Charlie but Charlie, just lunges at Zazzy 24-7 , every-time I let him out he jumps on Zazzy. Of course he may be playing ,but it's to much for Zazzy, but when I put the kitten in the room Zazzy claws to get in or wants him out. So I am so CONFUSED? Do they want to play or fight or what, is this normal?  They will box and wrestle, then when Zazzy had had enough he hisses, now this morning I caught Charlie hissing back . AGAIN I AM CONFUSED, I FEED HORRIBLE LEAVING CHARLIE LOCKED UP , HE CRIES, BUT POOR ZAZZY?  HELP PLEASE, I AM READY TO CRY. I REALLY LOVE THEM BOTH . I AM BREAKING THEM UP DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S EVEN RIGHT?

OVERWHELMED!!!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
hello @zazzy the things you are describing between Charlie and Zazzy, seem like typical kitten and cat behaviour.  Kittens have so much energy, and Zazzy is now just attempting to teach the new guy, how to act properly in your home.

I'm not sure if you mentioned how old they are...but a young kitten WILL want to play, what seems like 24/7. So I would suggest getting a lot of vertical spaces for Charlie, such as cat trees, shelves, and even interactive cat toys, to keep him busy, and not always wanting to pounce on Zazzy.  (you can do a search on TCS....on the "Search Bar"...and type in 'vertical spaces', 'cat trees', or 'wall shelving'...and get plenty of ideas from Articles, Threads, Reviews, etc.)   There are a lot of things that are suggested for small spaces in those threads, so just browsing them and looking at photos, may give you some ideas.)

Also, I would not worry at all about the hissing or rough play, because it sounds like Zazzy may be a very good teacher to Charlie.  Hissing is normal, especially, when cats want to get another cat's attention and get a rough game to end.

Often it's just watching the behaviour of the two cats, which is fascinating, because they know how to work things out between themselves, far better than we humans do.

They will play, tumble, swat, lightly bite, but then end the whole thing in a "puff"...and sometimes walk away to rest, and continue later.

(As long as no screams, injuries, or real fights happen...then the cats are fine.)

If you find that Zazzy gets extremely irritated and wants to sleep and be away from Charlie, then just allow Zazzy to have his own 'safe room' with his own litter box, food, water etc.  (And this way he can sleep and relax, whenever he wants.)  Yet if Zazzy is just wanting to teach Charlie, then allow for it to just happen. 

Try to enjoy this time, too,  
  which is easier said then done, because Charlie will grow out of kittenhood, and settle down, and he will get into more mischief, which is all part of the learning.

You sound like a wonderful grandmother, (and are now reminding me of my own, when I was young.) 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW,  THANK YOU , WHAT A HELP!  I  have been crying , not sleeping, just worried! YOU HAVE HELPED, I just need to let them work it out. I put little guy in short "time outs" in his safe room, (Natalee's bedroom).  Because my apt is small, I feel like Zazzy needs a little rest at times.  I hope putting little loving Charlie, does not get " mad" at me for the short time outs. But zazzy needs to eat in peace and just rest sometimes. There is no way for me to block my laundry room, it has a slotted door but zazzy wont be able to get in to use his litter box, or food.  So one more question.  The little guy , is stepping in zazzy's litter box, and drinking his water, ( he has his own in Nat's room) but I can't shut the door , for zazzy, is this ok ? will it make zazzy stop using his litter box? or Not eat or drink?  MAYBE I AM JUST TO WORRIED ABOUT EVERYTHING, I PROBABLY NEED TO RELAX AND PRAY AND LET THEM HANDLE IT , AND KNOW I AM DOING MY BEST, AND PRAY THEY KNOW I LOVE THEM BOTH AND I AM TRYING! 

BUT AGAIN WANTED TO REALLY REALLY THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME , YOUR KIND WORDS MEANT SO MUCH!

zazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I am so sorry if my reply was " all over the place"   I am exhausted , it's hard to believe  that I can get this worked up over the cat's I just want them to TRULY BE HAPPY!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a problem, I am glad I was of some help. 
  Don't worry, your reply was fine.
  Believe me, all us cat, and animal people, get worried and passionate about our animals. But yes, you have to get proper rest and relaxation, for yourself, too.  As I remember, one of my rainbow cats was a great handful when young.  

Ideally, each cat should have their own litter box, (plus one extra making 3 in total), but because of limited space...and since you already have 2... and are only worried about little Charlie using older Zazzy's one...I would perhaps suggest trying to get a larger or longer litter box.  It does not have to be an authentic cat litter box, since many members on this Site, have been using tall Tote boxes, usually see-through, or RubberMaid...http://www.thecatsite.com/products/rubbermaid-storage-box/reviews/4664  Some have just cut holes in the side, for easier access.

Some have even used long under bed storage-type plastic boxes, and various other kinds.

This old thread will give you an indication, of all the different ones that members have used....http://www.thecatsite.com/t/222511/need-recommendations-for-high-back-litter-boxes

As to your question, sharing a water dish, has never stopped any of my cats from drinking from each other's bowls, as long as fresh water is added, daily, and sometimes twice daily, so that it is not stale.

Charlie using Zazzy's litter box, should not upset  Zazzy if you scoop it often, probably after he uses it, because I find that my cats, all wanted to have clean litter to dig into, and bury...and so having extra boxes was useful.  Also for the fact, that it was easier to monitor when either cat got ill, diarrhea, watery stool from food changes, etc.  (Kittens sometimes play with litter and play with poop, so you have to keep an eye on them for a while.)

Would it be possible to add a 3rd box, to the laundry room?  That way, Charlie may choose one, and leave Zazzy's alone. 

The other thing that occurred to me, is that someone on Site, had put a "cat flap door" on an interior door, or interior wall, to allow cats to come and go, and still have doors closed.

It may not work for you, but I thought it was a neat idea.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/273763/cat-hole-for-interior-door

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-many-litterboxes-should-you-have

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litter-box-location-secrets

http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/45/Cat_Care

http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/43/Cat_Behavior

I threw in some more articles, above, which might help. And if you have the time, we here at TCSite, would love to see photos, of your Zazzy and Charlie.  You can post them here, or even on "New Cat's on the Block".   http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block

Good luck and take care. (ps...Putting little Charlie into small "time-outs"...seems like a very good and needed decision, since Charlie has to learn, that he cannot bother everyone, all day long.  Having some interactive toys for him might help to wear off his energy...but even plain old ping pong balls work amazingly.)

Last edited:

zazzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI,  HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL IS MUCH BETTER,

They are not grooming each other yet, but Charlie, has seemed to calm down a bit. We had a very calm day! YEAH, let's hope it just gets better from here.

They are actually both sitting in the closet one on the clothes basket with spare pillows in it., and the other laying right in front, they seem to want to lay next to each other just not too close, and ya know what THAT'S OK FOR NOW!!!

So Mommy ( or actually grandma) can rest , and NO TEARS TODAY