Never owned a cat before, I need (a LOT of) help with 5 orphaned kittens.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread since your first post, but I don't think I've posted before, as I had no advice to share.  Now I want to post to congratulate you on successfully raising these orphaned kittens. I'm sure when you rescued them you had no idea a) how much work it would be to save them or b) how attached you would become to them.   They are simply adorable!  

Loved the video.  I kept watching the 2 orange kittens, wondering if that's what my adopted cat, Ruby, might have been like as a kitten.  She was 2 or 3 when I adopted her, so long past kitten-hood. 

How many are you planning to keep? 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful. You are amazing. From knowing nothing about cats you've just brought up a family of five. Well done. Be proud of yourself. It's a shame that you can't keep all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many are you planning to keep? 
I am keeping the black one and the female orange one (prettiest one of them all, as most people comment).

The black one is just a sweetheart. Smartest one, always exploring, even though it's the biggest one always waits

patiently for its turn to eat, never bothered any of his siblings. Always wanting hugs and it almost seems grateful after it's fed.

Never cried or complained once all these weeks.

I've already found a good home for the grey one, a really nice girl who already has a cat and knows how to

take care of them. Now I need to find two more good homes for the male orange and the "tiger" one. 

Ideally, I'd like someone to adopt them both but that is difficult.

Finally, everyone learned to eat on its own. Right now they're eating kitten canned food with just a little bit of milk,

just enough to turn it into a thick "soup". I've talked to many women of the local cat rescue group and they laughed

when I told them I still bottle feed them 5 times/day. They said that they are playing with me now and if I just left them

a few hours to go hungry, they'd eat immediately by themselves. And that's exactly what happened.

After 6-7 hours of not feeding them, I just put a low bowl with the "soup" I made for them, they cried for a while and then

10 minutes later everything was gone. Since then they've been eating on their own.

So...the last part of my job is done. They use the litter box perfectly, not ONCE have they peed or pooped anywhere else,

they are big and healthy and they now eat on their own too.

Sadly, VERY sadly, we will need to part ways soon. :/

This has been an amazing experience, even after all those sleepless nights where I was falling asleep while preparing their milk.

I was lucky that they all survived and that I didn't encounter any diseases at all. Their mother must have been strong and a fighter like those 5 beautiful babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have done an absolutely outstanding job, and have every reason to be proud! Thank you for saving them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! This was such an amazing story. I cried and laughed and everything in between. What a wonderful job you have done. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, if I had a medal, I'd send it to you.  You went from a total neophyte to an accomplished foster mom in no time flat, and with almost no learning curve.  Job well done!  Enjoy the two you are keeping (don't forget spay/neuter), and don't worry overly much if you can't send them all out in pairs.  It's a rare cat or kitten who can't be quite happy on their own.  Some enjoy company, but very few "only cats" are pining for a companion.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 you did an awesome job, and now you have lots of experience share with others that end up in your position. It does my heart good to read this thread. Everyone needs to read it! You deserve a super, duper, humongous, bigger than life medal!