Neutering

wonderbean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure that this has probably already been addressed, but it is a concern of mine and i dont exactly trust what vets and the like has said. i have a very handsome and playful male kitten, who fetches and plays like its going out of style, i never see him sleep!!! he is due for "the big snip" later this month, and i am really concerned with how his personality will react to neutering. my mom has two males, neutered and they are lazy!!! but i dont remember them being very active anyway. i just kinda want to get a feel on every one elses experiences have been, since i trust the source of your everyday person. it is scary but i want him to be heathly, since they say neutering is, and still stay the same little guy i already know and love so much!! thanks!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got Harley @ the age of 8 weeks, he was a little terror! He is now about a year old and we got him fixed about Christmastime - when he was 6 months old. He's still a little terror - and full of energy and playfulness! (Is that a word even?!
)

His personality hasn't changed at all, he's still the same playful little guy that he was when he was a tiny baby!

Good luck!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 year old brothers, both neutered.
Trouble has always been the lazy lover with spurts of playfulness, Vash has always been the hyper play mode kitten-cat with spurts of lover boy.

Neutering did not change their personalities one bit.
Vash is still hyper and playful, Trouble is still lazy and lovey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderbean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay i am starting to feel better, phewww!! thanks guys!!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My moms 2 male cats both fixed at 6 months never changed. They are still scared of everyone and there own shadows. Never show them a mirror they will kill themselves.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Hobbes did become a lapcat overnight, but he didn't get lazy...don't worry. There are times that I have to tell him to lay down (which he listens to) because he's gotten TOO wild. Lol...

How old are the other cats you're thinking about that are lazy?

How old is your guy?

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing that you have to remember is that what you have now is a kitten and what you will have later is a cat. It is a mistake to associate behavior changes, especially activity level, with neutering alone.

When kittens grow into adulthood, they are definitely going to be less crazy and active as they were when they were young. Just like people. We do not have the same energy level as we did when we were toddlers...or teens.

Even if you did not neuter your male cat, he would still change as he became an adult. The problem is, he would change in ways that are not so attractive. Like spraying and aggressiveness that are not so cute.

I think people tend to associate the neutering with these changes because they tend to neuter right before adulthood...so the changes are automatically blamed on the surgery. When really, they just became mature cats around the same time.

I think people tend to think laziness came from the neutering, but they do not realize that they are comparing apples to oranges.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by poohandwendy

One thing that you have to remember is that what you have now is a kitten and what you will have later is a cat. It is a mistake to associate behavior changes, especially activity level, with neutering alone.

When kittens grow into adulthood, they are definitely going to be less crazy and active as they were when they were young. Just like people. We do not have the same energy level as we did when we were toddlers...or teens.

Even if you did not neuter your male cat, he would still change as he became an adult. The problem is, he would change in ways that are not so attractive. Like spraying and aggressiveness that are not so cute.

I think people tend to associate the neutering with these changes because they tend to neuter right before adulthood...so the changes are automatically blamed on the surgery. When really, they just became mature cats around the same time.

I think people tend to think laziness came from the neutering, but they do not realize that they are comparing apples to oranges.
Excellent points. I wish that more people would read things like this before getting pets. Thank you.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Very true. Tis why I ask how old the other cats are, and how old his cat is.

Very good way to explain it.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Very well put. I always thought the idea that neutering made cats lazy and less playful a misinterpretation of the fact that sexually mature males can get aggressive, and that neutering just takes that aggressiveness away. Has nothing to do with playfulness. None of my males ever lacked playfulness (except my ex husband, Mr. Boring, of course, but we're not discussing that).

LOL

spitfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many people think that neutered cats get lazy; they certainly dont. I wouldn't be discouraged from having a pet neutered just because someone tells you they get lazy. Our neutered boys have always been playful but you have to play with them. Many people wrongly think all cats want to do is laze around and sleep. If you start playing with them, they will soon join in and yoy will have a happy neutered and lively cat. So dont listen to those who say that neutering makes cats lazy - it most certainly does not.:clap:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two boys are incredibly active and playful with each other, the other cats, the curtains and my toes in bed! Napoleon is the most active and will make you play for hours with his mouse-on-a-string. I have seen him literally jump in the air over a chair back, doing a double flip, to try to get it as it is swung in the air! So lazy? Inactive? I don't think so. They were both neutered in November.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderbean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the other guys are "older" (8 and 7 i believe)but they have also always never seemed to play any way, and i am not one to believe in what i hear through the grapevine, but i found it kind of odd that two cats in a row that are neutered are lazy or boring i guess lol, but like i have also said they werent ever as playful as bradley to begin with who is about 4 months. it does make sense that of course he will mature, and seeing all of the other things you guys have posted makes sense, and it is kind of a "well duh" to myself, but it makes me feel better. i have never known a cat to be a crazy as this one and i love it and dont want to loose that. thanks again!!

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WonderBean

the other guys are "older" (8 and 7 i believe)but they have also always never seemed to play any way, and i am not one to believe in what i hear through the grapevine, but i found it kind of odd that two cats in a row that are neutered are lazy or boring i guess lol, but like i have also said they werent ever as playful as bradley to begin with who is about 4 months. it does make sense that of course he will mature, and seeing all of the other things you guys have posted makes sense, and it is kind of a "well duh" to myself, but it makes me feel better. i have never known a cat to be a crazy as this one and i love it and dont want to loose that. thanks again!!
Oh yeah...ANY cat will be quite lazy and not as peppy when they're 7 or 8 years old.

Don't worry, our Hobbes is about two years of age, and still REALLY insane at times. Yes, your boy will be calmer, and might end up wanting to lay on you occassionally, but he won't turn lazy, I can assure you. In fact, if he does start being sluggish after "the snip", and still is about a week afterward, take him into the vets...that shouldn't happen.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the wild playful cat stage. They give me and the family some good laughs. Now we see why they have 9 lives LOL

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I love the wild playful cat stage. They give me and the family some good laughs. Now we see why they have 9 lives LOL
Oh, definitely...I know what you mean!! These kitties sure are resilient, aren't they?

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on your cat. Zakk is my young oldest (age 3 in a few months) and he has just maybe slowed down a tad since we got him. He is VERY frisky and curious. Rocky on the other hand has mellowed in the past year or so, but has a much more laid back personality. (he is about 2 BTW). I never noticed any immediate difference in my cats after they were neutered, but they do eventually lose the "kitten crazies". Cookie is still pretty goofy and he was neutered 3 months ago.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The three cats I have seen neutered didn't change a bit; it is, of course, important to play with your adult cat after his period of kittenish energy has passed, in order to ensure he gets enough exercise and remains physically and emotionally healthy.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only change I have ever seen in a cat being fixed, male or female, was in our female Kinks who was extremely mean, attacked and stalked us for no apparent reason (I am sure there was one in her mind!) When we had her spayed she was already well over a year old, and she was a whole new cat. She went from the mean little thing to extremely sweet, playful, affectionate. She is still really fiesty and will stand up if the other cats get in her way. She is also still a crazy playful girl too. She completely lost the meaness unless you touch her belly, but now she just swats when before she would rip our hand apart.

The males I have had stayed exactly the same. No difference except for the little pooch they can get on their bellies after being fixed. although my big boy Da-Ku had a growth spirt after being neutered at 8ish weeks. He is 2.5 feet long when laying on the ground and can reach up to my chest when he stands up and reaches up for me to pick him up (like a kid does
I am a good 5'6" tall!