Neutering woes :-(

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy-moly, you adopt a cat, claim to love him, don't take any of our advice about addressing your problems (like limiting his space or having him checked by a vet!), and then you toss the poor thing out the door because he's doing exactly what nature intended for him to do? Wow!

Cats don't understand punishment; the only thing rough handling does is destroy your relationship with the animal, as you now know. This is why we gave you several options to pursue - none of them involving rough handling.

Bring him to the closest rescue organization, pronto. You owe him at least that much.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wingnutt

Actually even if he is still around at best I will probably take him to adopt-a-pet.
Honestly?, i hope you do because he needs a home where he has some one that has some patience, and hopefully someones already taken him in.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Mo is 10 1/2 years old he is spraying everywhere on me. I do the best I can to clean up after him with enzyme spray. He gets upset with the cats he sees outside, its really not his fault. He feels insecure, he feels someone else may take his place. He's hurting, he's very afraid. How could I throw him out. Something is bothering and hurting your little one, I know its rough but you can't give up on him.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the fact that he "bit you HARD" is very telling. Sounds VERY MUCH like he's dealing with a medical issue.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I read about the possibility of a UTI after neutering and have been watching for the signs.. I.E. frequent trips to the litter box, constant cleaning.... etc etc

So far I have not seen anything to tip me off that he has any sort of infection, just just as goofy and spastic as ever, doesent seem to be in any discomfort.. Ive had a UTI before, if a cat one is anything like a human one and he had one, I think I would know it.
Feline urinary tract infection is NOT the same as what a human would experience. It may not be a UTI. Cats are notorious to hide pain. That's why you pay attention to behavior changes.

The ONLY way to make sure your cat is healthy is to get him to a vet. A different vet might be a good idea from what you have mentioned so far.

If you can find him and get him to a no kill shelter, please let them know what has been going on so they can get him the proper medical help.

andrewfeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Well, there ARE reasons most people, including vets, urge you to neuter your tom cat before the age of six months.

But I would bet most of the problems will disappear in a week or so.

Now, if you could just do the same for teenagers...
hahaha. The teenager comment made me laugh.

a couple of MONTHS?! oh god, this is going to be rough.
You can do it! I have faith in you my brother. haha.

To be honest, I've been quite bad with my 2 cats. Ben and Gizmo are 8 months old and are getting neuterd on Wednesday. I didnt want to get them done too soon as I first didnt like the idea of getting rid of their manhood unless there was reason to. And so far there hasn't been apart from the fact they get a bit too rough when fighting.

I also was worried that if I got them done too soon, they would loose their male characteristics such as the muscle and thick necks that male cats get.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my god...seriously that's a horrible way to treat your cat no matter what he is doing. Spraying from what i've seen does not even look like "pissing" like you said...Usually they don't squat they just sort of shake their muscles while releasing urine while standing with their tail in the air. If you can catch your cat and try to put him in the litter box then it's most likely not territorial spraying. It is probably a litter box issue...

seiryu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am appauled by what WingNutt has done. Again, it is no way to treat a cat by just throwing it outside. Do us all a favor, and never ever get another cat again or any animal for that matter. If you happen to get a cat that is a sprayer or has a little temperment, I am sure he will go out the door again.

When taking in an animal, no one has ANY idea how they will react in your own home. That is part of the responsibility. It pretty much comes down to luck how the personality of a cat comes down once you bring it home. I know friends who visited shelters numerous times, even bringing their own cats to see which best went with their cats. Brought them home and TOTALLY different cats came to be.

If you cannot handle it, you should have taken it to a No-Kill shelter.

Some cats are sprayers no matter what, and some are not. But you should have gotten him neutered earlier. Vets say 6months, but really 2-3lbs (or 3-5months is perfect).

I havn't been able to read everything, and I have no idea when you neutered. Nonetheless research on when to neuter is easily accessible and should have been done if this is new to you.

Hopefully you do the right thing and bring him to a shelter. And before getting another cat, you learn how to act like an adult.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow
you just threw him out??
poor poor kitty!please take him to a rescue or a no kill shelter! 2 of My boys ( that are both fixed) STILL spray (alot) Is it annoying? YES!! Does it stink OF COURSE!!! but I took the responsibility of theses cats on,and I love them!and no matter what I would not get rid of them,they are like my children and I would never throw my child oput because they do stuff that is gross or makes me mad ( or else they would have been one a long,long time ago)lol.Please do't just leave this poor cat outside to fend for himself all because he is doing something he has NO CONTROL OVER!!! WEhere do you live? maybe someone ere ( myself even) could take him in and find him a home????