Neutering woes :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what really irks me is he KNOWS what he is doing is frowned upon, if he sees me, seeing him he will run and hide, he Knows im going to yell at him and go get the bottle of 50/50 water vinegar.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A HA! Yelling and being aggressive about it will make the cat more anxious. Being more anxious makes the spraying worse.

Sure, he knows you will be mad and runs....but, for whatever the reason, he still cannot control himself.

Did you see my recipe for urine odor remover? Vinegar is not an adequate cleaner.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

A HA! Yelling and being aggressive about it will make the cat more anxious. Being more anxious makes the spraying worse.

Sure, he knows you will be mad and runs....but, for whatever the reason, he still cannot control himself.

Did you see my recipe for urine odor remover? Vinegar is not an adequate cleaner.
well i spray the vinegar immediately if I see him spray, after it drys i sprinkle some baking soda over the spot, let that sit for a while and then shampoo the rug in that area (that thing is turning out the be the most useful thing I have bought in a long while)

and I dont understand his psyche.. its not like he gets up and goes looking for a place to spray.. it just happens seemingly randomly.. like.. tourette's syndrome.. but with pee..

for example this morning, every morning when my alarm goes off, he immediately jumps off the bed, runs in the bathroom and hops up on the back of the toilette, thats where he sits and watches me brush my teeth and shave .etc etc

well this morning, same as any other, alarm goes off and he is like.. "well time to shave and brush teeth.. im gonna head over to the bathroo.. BAM PEE IN THE CORNER!!!!!!!!!! .... yep, gonna head to the bathroom..."

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wingnutt

I never said I would turn it on..
Oh, you do remind me of a guy I once knew... he actually named his cat R.P. (rotten poop).

There has to be a reason this cat is getting so worked up, and I'm not convinced it's related to the neutering. My 8-year-old fixed male would never have given spraying a moment's thought in his entire life - UNTIL I brought in a feral female older kitten a couple months ago. Now she's fixed and calmed down (sort of) but guess what??? Yep, he sprays all over the house. I feel your pain - but you have to become a detective with these things.

Don't give up on him.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

Oh, you do remind me of a guy I once knew... he actually named his cat R.P. (rotten poop).

There has to be a reason this cat is getting so worked up, and I'm not convinced it's related to the neutering. My 8-year-old fixed male would never have given spraying a moment's thought in his entire life - UNTIL I brought in a feral female older kitten a couple months ago. Now she's fixed and calmed down (sort of) but guess what??? Yep, he sprays all over the house. I feel your pain - but you have to become a detective with these things.

Don't give up on him.
when hes not spraying or yelling, all he does is lay on his back stretched out like a broken slinky, you can pick him up and wear him like a scarf and walk around, he could care less.. there are many words I could use to described him, but stressed or anxious aren't in there.. he seems as happy as could be.... happy enough to have pulled both the DrSchools insoles out of my work boots as I was typing this.. dang it.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

when I took him to get him neutered they asked what his name was, I told them

"cat"

"hey you"

"stopit"

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wingnutt;2516066 said:
UUggh,, this is reallly getting difficult, He kept me up all knight howling and scratching at the windows, this morning the first thing I see when I wake up is him squatting in the corner spraying the wall..

The above quote is what I'm referring to, re: there has to be something bothering him. Why is he howling and scratching at the windows all night? What is out there? Did you say he goes outside or is he strictly indoor? (I could go back and read, but it's nearly midnight and it was easier to ask)

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
threecatowner;2516863 said:

UUggh,, this is reallly getting difficult, He kept me up all knight howling and scratching at the windows, this morning the first thing I see when I wake up is him squatting in the corner spraying the wall..

The above quote is what I'm referring to, re: there has to be something bothering him. Why is he howling and scratching at the windows all night? What is out there? Did you say he goes outside or is he strictly indoor? (I could go back and read, but it's nearly midnight and it was easier to ask)
he has only been outside perhaos 3 times since ive had him, for perhaps 5 minutes at a time..

I dont think he SEES anything out there, as just goes from window to window, jumps up on the sill.. whines like crazy, goes to another window..does the same. he will do that for maybe 15 min at a time, lay down for 5 min or so, get up and do it again..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But he may well be able to SMELL a female in heat outside.

You would not believe the trouble a local male cat caused just by spraying on my front door. You woulnd't think the cats could smell it, but wow!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you ever play with the cat? Does he have toys, cat trees, even a cardboard box to play in and with? Have you tried getting him good and tired before bedtime and then feeding him a nice snack to fill his tummy and making him sleepy? Are all the windows closed and covered?

Cally

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

there has to be something bothering him. Why is he howling and scratching at the windows all night? What is out there?
I would bet that some other cat is roaming outside at night and coming to visit. You will not see them, but you can bet he can see and smell.

It may be a female in heat close by or another 'Tom'. Territory becomes an issue. They let it be known by spraying.

Might be helpful to check around outside for any 'Tom' odors and spray those with the urine cleaner. A black light from a pet store is very useful in finding the urine.

To deter other cats from the area outside many suggest cayenne pepper sprinkled around. This could be irritating from what I understand, but some use it. I have used ground black pepper as it is not irritating but still a deterrent.

Would it help confining him to a bathroom with no windows at night for awhile? Feliway might help.

This is probably driving him bonkers as well. Investigating every possibility is worth the time.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Do you ever play with the cat? Does he have toys, cat trees, even a cardboard box to play in and with? Have you tried getting him good and tired before bedtime and then feeding him a nice snack to fill his tummy and making him sleepy? Are all the windows closed and covered?

Cally
Yea, he has toys, lots of toys, but he doesnt play with them, nope.. but give him a flexi straw or a plastic cup lid, and hes happy for hours.. go figure..

I try to tire him out, I play with him like crazy and then give him a can of soft food.. he pigs out, lays down for about an hour and then gets up and starts the lunacy.

Im outside quite a bit and ive only seen another cat once.

Im not wandering around at night with a black light sprinkling pepper on everything.. someone will call the police.. I know I would.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat is not going to be one of the males that never stop.
My brothers male has never stopped.
He was also fixed at 3 months and the females are fixed so there is no reason for it.
I hope your cat stops acting that way.
My sisters fixed male was doing that and he was sick.
It was bladder stones.
Now that he had them removed he is fine.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Im outside quite a bit and ive only seen another cat once.

Im not wandering around at night with a black light sprinkling pepper on everything.. someone will call the police.. I know I would.
If you have seen a cat outside once, then the cat has been there more than that. He just showed himself once.

The reason some of us know the "tips of information" like black lights and pepper as deterrents is we have been DESPERATE.

Maybe you haven't reached the 'desperate' mark yet.

Hoping your boy settles down soon or you become accustomed to 'tom' scent and yowling.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yea, he has toys, lots of toys, but he doesnt play with them, nope.. but give him a flexi straw or a plastic cup lid, and hes happy for hours.. go figure..:
I just wanna say in ref to him playing with plastic stuff: be careful he doesn't chew a piece off and swallow it or you could have a whole new set of EXPENSIVE problems, what with surgery to remove the blockage, and all.

Isn't cat ownership fun? (Sometimes I think it's harder than kids)

3kitties4me

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...means, "Hello" in Cat.
My female cat, Purrscilla, loves simple plstic milk jug rings as well. No expensive toys for her (she`s WAY to prissy?,lol).
I also have two male cats (Freddie, 2 yrs, neutered; & Spitfire, 6 months, gotta make the call to the vet, lol)...
I have ferals outside of my house at all hours. Males & females alike. Freddie urinated by the door and has got Spitfire to do the same...

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black light thing is the only way I know of to find out if you truly got rid of the spots. The only enzyme cleaner I've used is Nature's Miracle but I've never had to deal with male cats spraying. Like others said, it might just take a while for the hormones to go away.

Someone mentioned a Feliway diffuser, it might be worth looking into. They are expensive but are great for reducing behavioral marking in cats. I've seen them at most pet stores.

Cats definitely pick up on hostility. My ex-roommate's cat didn't like me and after it peed on some of my things, I obviously grew to dislike the cat...it was a cycle.

A more natural thing you could try is a product called Rescue Remedy, they sell it at places like Whole Foods or other natural product stores. It's made for humans but tons of people use it on pets as well to help calm them down. Cats sometimes spray when they are stressed out, so this may help.

Also, I know you said that he was spraying and not just peeing, but sometimes cats will stop using a litter box because the box isn't clean enough or in a secluded location. Some cats don't like closed boxes, certain types of litter, etc. If a cat has a UTI, they could start to associate the litter box with pain and not want to use it. This doesn't sound like the problem with your cat, but it's good info to know.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He still uses the litter box.. and he only pees in corners or against walls when he is "spraying" more of it gets on the wall than the floor.

wingnutt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!!!

Well the howling is not as bad, its gone from unbearable to only horrible..

he has however consolidated his pissing efforts to the carpet near the front door..

that is worse than ever, today I pulled up the carpet and pad AGAIN.. while I had the carpet and pad outside cleaning it, he pissed all over the the bare conceret.. cleaned that up, put the pad down after it dried, went back out to get the carpet, walk back in to see him pissing all over the newly cleaned carpet pad.. put him in his carrier. took the carpet pad back out, cleaned it again, dryed it, put it in, put the carpet back in and tacked it down.

let him out, he made a B-line for the front door and was squatting before he even came to a stop, grabbed him before he could commit the act.

hes behind bars now, taking him to the vet tomorrow for pills, therapy, lobotomy, whatever..

I cant do this, I live alone and am very busy, I cant spend every moment I have at home tracking down and cleaning up cat piss. This is turning into a certified government papers nightmare.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I had a spraying male several years ago, I read somewhere that since cats will supposedly not "pee where they eat" that putting a bowl of food in the spot could deter them. This person I read about had food bowls all over the house, but it eventually worked. (I can't exactly say it worked for me, but I had tiny kids and not the time or wherewithal to be vigilant)

You could try it - particularly for that problem spot by the door. (When I've had peeing cats, they've always chosen the front door, too. WHY?????

I just realized something... you said squatting. That doesn't usually indicate behavioral, as spraying does. That usually indicates a medical issue.