Neighbor's senior kitty

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've already mentioned this to a few folks, but am so frustrated and angry right now that I need to vent. My neighbors have essentially abandoned their 13-year-old, declawed cat Ricky. He's a very sweet, handsome long-haired gray boy.

To make a long story short, there has been a history of neglect and indifference on their part regarding Ricky. The last straw was when his so-called owners went away for Thanksgiving and left him outside to fend for himself with no food, water or shelter. I left for a work-related trip the following Mon. and when I came home learned from my downstair's neighbor that Ricky had been at our house pretty much 24/7. She fed him and he took up residence in the shelter in our yard in the midst of snow and the coldest weather we've had so far. Phone messages and notes in the neighbor's mailbox have yield no response. Suffice it to say, Ricky is now in my spare bedroom, safe and warm. His owners know where to find him, but apparently don't care.

Next step is getting Ricky to the vet at the rescue, which will be happening Mon. He seems to be in pretty good shape. Was sneezing a bit earlier in the week, but has a good appetite. Looks like I'll then be fostering him until the rescue has the space to take him.

I normally don't like to get involved in situations regarding people's pets because it's enabling them to be irresponsible, but Ricky is still a cat in need and there's no way I'm leaving a senior, declawed kitty out in the cold to fend for himself.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!
Thank you for taking him in!! Oh people make me so mad!

I too, rescued a cat whose owner was put in a home and the family put the kitty outside, declawed also. Three days of trying to trap him and I finally caught him. Spent $400 of my own money to get him up to date on shots and tests and a no kill shelter took him and found him a home.

You are truly an angel for the cats! These people are, well, I can't say. I don't use that kind of language!

God bless you for being there!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did a wonderful thing for Ricky. How could anyone just go off and leave their kitty outside without nothing for him and in the cold. These people should serve time for that, that is animal cruelty.

Now that it is very cold outside, I pray every night that He will keep those stray cats outside warm. I know this may sound silly but I ask Him to breathe on those unfortunate cats who live outdoors to keep them warm. It is so sad for me to know those kits are freezing outside with no food or water. I know I'm just way too sensitive but getting older has made me this way.

So you did a great thing by bringing Ricky in out of the cold. I hope he will find a loving forever home.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaRussa

You did a wonderful thing for Ricky. How could anyone just go off and leave their kitty outside without nothing for him and in the cold. These people should serve time for that, that is animal cruelty.

Now that it is very cold outside, I pray every night that He will keep those stray cats outside warm. I know this may sound silly but I ask Him to breathe on those unfortunate cats who live outdoors to keep them warm. It is so sad for me to know those kits are freezing outside with no food or water. I know I'm just way too sensitive but getting older has made me this way.

So you did a great thing by bringing Ricky in out of the cold. I hope he will find a loving forever home.
I ask the same thing every night. My heart breaks for those kitties who have no shelter.

I keep two insulated cat houses in our garden shed that has a small cat door. Full of straw and special pad that reflects their heat back to their bodies.

My ferals have left, but I still watch for tracks in the snow. When I see them, I will put out food.

Just in case.....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eileen, you truly are an angel. I'm just horrified at this development, but Ricky is one lucky kitty to have you as a neighbor. I don't even want to think about all the cats that don't.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did such a wonderful thing.
I have to turn up the heat in our house the very second I wake up otherwise Nora shivers, I can't imagine how those poor stray cats feel that have to freeze and don't have anyone to turn the heat up for them. It makes me sad.
I could never imagine putting Nora out to fend for herself.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
People can be so heartless. Why aren't there some really strict laws against abandoning pets that are actually enforced?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

People can be so heartless. Why aren't there some really strict laws against abandoning pets that are actually enforced?
Ohio does have a law against abandonment (falls under animal abuse), but it's rarely enforced, at least not where I live. Our local SPCA, which investigates cases of abuse and neglect, is pretty ineffective in that area. I actually called yesterday to make them aware of the situation and ensure there would no legalities in me taking Ricky, since he is a known pet and not a stray like most of the cats I foster, and the woman I spoke to could have cared less.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so awful

I'm so glad that Ricky has you to care for him. I get "yelled at" if Riley's dinner is 5 minutes late! I couldn't imagine leaving him outside with nothing.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Animal abandonment is always sad, but I find it especially troubling when people dump a senior pet. Hard times, whether financial, physical, or psychological, can drive people to do desperate things, but it's hard for me to understand how someone could throw away a cat that they've presumably lived with for so many years. Bless you for taking him in!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hum.... That story sounds familiar.... Oh yeah... I guess in here it's called Gracie!
That's how my Gracie ended up with me - same thing, but she is 12 and to top it off she has thyroid issues... Also declawed...
Thank you, Thank you for helping this poor boy! Now he is going to have a decent rest of life filled with love and warmth, thanks to you

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know in Oregon, it is a misdemeanor to abandon a pet. You might check on the law in your state.

You, ma'am, are an angel! I would have done the same thing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for taking him in.
We feed our neighbor's elderly cat, but he hasn't been abandoned. I'm sure they still feed him; our house is just a cat magnet.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a Christmas angel for poor abandoned Ricky.

I hate with a passion people who abandon cats. Where I live people dump pregnant cats or litters of kittens all the time and it breaks my heart everytime I see them. The neighbors and us work together to make sure that everyone is fed and this spring we are going to be going halfers to try and get everyone speutered. We did have one good thing happen to one litter that was dropped off. The poor kids mom dumped his cats (4) while he was away in rehab and he actually drove up and down our road stopping at every house till he found his cats and took all of them home with him. I actually felt bad for him and also gave him contact information to SNAP (Thank you Laurie) to get them all fixed.

I think there is a special place 'down under' for the vile people who are heartless enough to abandon cats and dogs.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Hum.... That story sounds familiar.... Oh yeah... I guess in here it's called Gracie!
That's how my Gracie ended up with me - same thing, but she is 12 and to top it off she has thyroid issues... Also declawed...
Thank you, Thank you for helping this poor boy! Now he is going to have a decent rest of life filled with love and warmth, thanks to you
It does sound similiar to your experience with Grace. Bless you for helping her.

Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

I know in Oregon, it is a misdemeanor to abandon a pet. You might check on the law in your state.

You, ma'am, are an angel! I would have done the same thing.
It's a misdemeanor in Ohio too, but rare enforced, unfortunately. Thanks!

Originally Posted by nurseangel

We feed our neighbor's elderly cat, but he hasn't been abandoned. I'm sure they still feed him; our house is just a cat magnet.
My house is that way too.
Sadly, Ricky's owners haven't fed him for a while. Poor guy deserves better.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got some clarification on the Ricky situation today from his original owner who's living now living out of state. She apparently entrusted his care to others, who couldn't be trusted. She's unable to take him, so has given me the okay to find him a new home. Turns out, though, that Ricky has a brother, Merlin, a long-haired black fellow, who also needs a home. He's in good hands for now, but it's only temporary. The rescue I work with may be able to take both of the boys, but I can only foster one, so we'll see what happens.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I think ours is as well. Orange kitty is a bit plump not to have a home. I still feed him and love on him.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hate stuff like that, thank you for taking him in and trying to help the other kitty as well. I firmly believe that when we are called to stand before the lord that the people who are cruel to animals will have to pay for it

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rescue is going to be able to take both of boys, so I'm currently working on getting ahold of Merlin. If the plan comes together, both he and Ricky will be going to the rescue's vet Thurs. morning for the royal treatment, including blood work due to their age (turns out they're probably 11 years old, not 13).

I'm looking forward to meeting Merlin. Have heard he's a real sweetie. His brother sure is.