Neighbors cat

obsidianfaery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbors have this adorable cat that comes over to my house often.  I do feed her because she always seems like she is starving.  I also think she might be pregnant.  Not sure though.   Well, she has started attacking my dog.  My almost 70 pound German Shepherd mix.  She is not afraid of him at all.  Today she was in the yard and the dog was on the deck and she came up on the deck and attacked him.  My girlfriend and I were both there, so nobody (but me) got hurt.  My dog likes cats.  He tries really hard to make our cats like him (they don't) and I know he would never just attack this cat, but if she is all out attacking him, I cannot say if he will not seriously injure her.  I do not want this to happen.  The fact that they have this outdoor cat that is not fixed and I know they don't feed her enough as she eats most of the time she visits, makes me wonder how much they really care..  Sometimes she doesn't eat, so I don't think she is the type to just eat because there is food.  Today was a complete blitz attack, my dog didn't even see her until she was on him.  She literally saw him, and ran straight at him.  The first time I found her in my yard, late last summer, she was just a kitten.  We walked around the neighborhood, knocking on doors trying to find her owners.  When we did, they were just like yeah, whatever.  Didn't say bring her home or anything.  I am torn right now about just taking her to a shelter.  It was bad enough when I felt like they did not care, but now the situation is dangerous.  Plus, sometimes I let my cats hang out on the deck and I don't know that she won't sneak up and attack them.  I don't think her owners will appreciate it if I ask them to keep their cat inside.  My girlfriend says to stop feeding her.  I feel badly about that and it won't solve the problem right away, she will still come over here.  II really don't want my dog or this cat hurt.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a tough one.  Your pets should not be in a situation where they're at risk yet the cat isn't being treated well by its owners.

If she is pregnant, she is being touchy - she sees the dog and perhaps your cats as potential predators and is setting the boundaries.  It won't improve - it may get worse.  Is there a way you can trap her and have her spayed?  It would solve a few problems.

The "owners" will likely never know - especially if you can recuperate her yourself.  Once she's healed up, she can go about her business.

Even if she is not pregnant, she is being territorial and spaying will definitely help with that, too.  If she is going to remain in the neighborhood, spaying seems to be the only solution other than calling animal control.

Is there a spay/neuter group nearby that might help?

Thank you for worrying about her.  If you continue to feed her, it might be best to put her food away from your deck for the time being.  It may help keep her away from your pets until a decision is made about her.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are several things you can try but before I type up a bunch of advice I just want to make sure that the OP is still reading this thread, seeing as this thread was started 4 days ago. Is the OP still here?