need some advice

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, i noticed my cat was pregnant june 1st. she leaked a clear fluid Wednesday then had brownish red mucus discharge the same day. i assumed she went into labor and waited 48 hrs with no contractions. i took her to an emergency vet yesterday and they said she’s around 40 days pregnant and not ready to have them. they also said discharge in pregnant cats is normal. my cat just now leaked more clear fluid and has on & off leaked the same brownish red discharge. she has not shown any odd behaviors. i don’t know what to think and need some advice please

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cat pregnancies last for about 65 days. If your cat is only 40 days into her pregnancy, a continual discharge would not be normal. Usually this occurs much closer to delivery. Did the ER discuss this with you? How concerned should you be if the discharge does not stop? Given that you have paid them for a service, you should probably call back for a further discussion of the next step if the discharge continues. Did they do an xray?

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by the June 1 date. Did you see your cat mate on that day or did you start to notice signs or pregnancy itself? Did you notice nipples becoming pinker, or possibly a week or so later, a bigger tummy? The second is usually around 30 days. If June 1 was around 30 days, then the cat may be in the window of giving birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect your cat may be miscarrying a kitten due to the stage of her pregnancy and the discharge you are seeing. It’s not normal. Get a second opinion from another vet if possible, and ask for an ultrasound to check for heartbeats, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat pregnancies last for about 65 days. If your cat is only 40 days into her pregnancy, a continual discharge would not be normal. Usually this occurs much closer to delivery. Did the ER discuss this with you? How concerned should you be if the discharge does not stop? Given that you have paid them for a service, you should probably call back for a further discussion of the next step if the discharge continues. Did they do an xray?

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by the June 1 date. Did you see your cat mate on that day or did you start to notice signs or pregnancy itself? Did you notice nipples becoming pinker, or possibly a week or so later, a bigger tummy? The second is usually around 30 days. If June 1 was around 30 days, then the cat may be in the window of giving birth.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A ari1717 I see you tried to answer Fionasmoms excellent post, but none of your answer come through.... Please repeat your message...

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i took her to another emergency vet yesterday and they agreed that much bleeding isn’t normal they tried to take her back for vitals but she wasn’t cooperative so they brought her back to me and told me they might have to sedate her. we waited over 5 hrs to be seen but they eventually sent us back home and put us on a waitlist. no contact from them since

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i also think she is miscarrying but the vets have been no help so far. if she is what happens? can she pass the kittens naturally? i felt 2 moving yesterday and one moving today. can they make it full term?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry things went poorly yesterday. It’s possible one or more kittens could make it. It depends what is happening inside her. Did they listen for heartbeats?

How is your cat today? Is she still having discharge and blood? Is she still eating?

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes she seems like her normal self but she did have move clear watery discharge with a very small amount of the blood in it. it’s not really red it’s pinkish

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they did not listen to heartbeats or do anything at all. the previous vet i went to felt with her hands

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i took pictures of everything since it started Wednesday i will post them all

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to post a link that to someone else's thread.. because of the light-ish pink discharge... I don't want you worrying but maybe going to an emergency vet is needed??

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i’ve tried going to multiple yesterday. they always tell me they’re too full. the 2 that i went to are over an hour drive away and weren’t much help either. i’m still on the 2nd er waitlist but they have not contacted me since

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
at this point all i can do is monitor her closely and take her in if she gets lethargic because maybe then they’ll actually see her

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i’ve tried going to multiple yesterday. they always tell me they’re too full. the 2 that i went to are over an hour drive away and weren’t much help either. i’m still on the 2nd er waitlist but they have not contacted me since
I apologize I thought they were regular vet clinics... that is insane. They are Emergency hospitals that is insane to me... they shouldn't turn anyone away without making sure things are at least able to wait... this doesn't seem like a wait kind of situation. That does make me mad... I'm so sorry you're going through this.

ari1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know. to them it seems like it isn’t an urgent matter because they looked at everyone else that was there during the 5 hrs we waited. the first place we went to seen her right away because i thought she was in labor and waited 48 hrs to see if kittens would come.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky in the sense that there are like 15 vet hospital/clinics and I think 3 24hr emergency hospitals all within 10 minutes to an hour away from me..
I really wish there was something you could do to get her help.. I just don't know what could be done.. this is an absolutely horrible situation. I feel so bad for your baby and I know you must be stressed..