Need quick advice - more storms soon

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It's so good to hear you're all safe. What is it with the tornadoes this year? They seem so much worse and more frequent than usual.
Sending lots of be safe to all those affected. I've been watching the news.
Tornadoes must be more terrible than typhoons which bring rains that can cause floods. I would be more scared of winds that may destroy homes in seconds.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I just don't see a solution for this -- not with SIX cats to wrangle, and only one person capable of capturing them. But I also can't imagine taking shelter while my kitties are left to fend for themselves! I do not know what to do.
I certainly can relate to what you're saying, Carol, as I'm in the same dilemma - with the exception of having 11 furkids to tend to instead of 6. We're in a mobile home, which offers no protection whatsever.
I don't know what I'd do either if a tornado was heading our way.
It freaks me out!
There's no safety zone to go to, and I don't know how the heck I'd be able round up all the cats and get them to safety even if I had somewhere to take them.

I'm glad to hear that everyone else made it through okay!
My heart goes out to all those who weren't so blessed.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I certainly can relate to what you're saying, Carol, as I'm in the same dilemma - with the exception of having 11 furkids to tend to instead of 6. We're in a mobile home, which offers no protection whatsever.
I don't know what I'd do either if a tornado was heading our way.
It freaks me out!
There's no safety zone to go to, and I don't know how the heck I'd be able round up all the cats and get them to safety even if I had somewhere to take them.

I'm glad to hear that everyone else made it through okay!
My heart goes out to all those who weren't so blessed.
I've often thought about this, too. We have had up to 10 cats (9 now), and DH is often away at work, so I most likely will have no help. I try to war-game how I'll trap 9 crazy cats in a panic, and THEN either shelter in place or, if it's an evacuation situation, get them all into my small car. My car is 13 years old, and I'm seriously considering a mini-van or SUV for the next car--even just to make vet trips easier. And, if the shelter won't allow pets, I'm staying here with my cats.

We have tornado sightings here once or twice per year, but no real damage (yet). As we have no basement, I'll either go with the cats in the under-stairs pantry (small!) or in the stairwell (usually the most stable part of a house). We could also hunker down in the foyer; the only window is in the door, but it's safety glass and not too close to where we'd hunker down. I only have 1 window-less room, but that's the laundry room--next to the garage (garage doors are usually the weakest door in your house)--and the garage has a window!

I'm so happy to see that everyone is ok!!!