need positive vibes- might need to go to ER

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela,
I'm so so sorry things are getting worse
. Sending lots of get-well vibes your way and keeping my fingers crossed.
I am glad you are going to the ER, though. I can only imagine that it is very difficult being there with a hearing impairment, but you know it's for the best.
Please keep us updated only after you are able to comfortably type.

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pam,
How are you? What did the doctor say?
I've been praying that it's not a blood clot but I think you're better safe than sorry.

I hope all is well. Update us when you get a chance.

Take care of yourself!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been reading this thread and I got worried. I totally understand how it is trying to call medical services through the relay - it takes forever!!!!!!!!!!

PLease do check in and tell us how you are!

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, how are you doing? Please let us know how you are. Sending mega "just a sprain" vibes to you. Hope that you are better when you get this, hugs.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Positive healing vibes are being sent your way...let us now what you found out when you get back home.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw pamela i know how you feel,
Im the interpreter for my parents when they are in hospital, my parents find it hard if they have to stay in over night, they get bored because the tv sucks and they cant listen to music.

I wish you all the best, is there no family of yours that is hearing and able to go with you to the hospital? i think its a bit late now because i presume youre already there and being examined.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we had an update...Pamela we are thinking about you, and hopeful that all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. didn't realize how many ppl r worried about me. that means a lot to me.

i spent 3 hours in the er and am NOT satisfied with the service. dr diagnosed me with cellulitis after looking at my hand for 2 min, listening to my symptoms(most of itme we had to write back and forh) then gave me 2 mediences- 1 for antibiotic and 1 for painkiller. she didn't even take blood, x ray or anything like that. i am not sure i trust her diagnosis based on that but i looked on net quickly for this and i do meet SOME of the criterias. one problem is i have NO wounds, cuts or bites so how could i have gotten this? apparently cellulitis is a skin infection- can get into blood and/or bones and apparently is very serious if not treated. dr said if i continue to feel worse to come back tmr to the ER! can u believe that??

i got home this afternoon from er (had to take medience in er) and barely had enuf energy to get to the couch before zonking out. just woke up now and feeling worse. if i continue to feel worse (pain is now spreading to armpit and shoulder, i m feeliing naseous and have a HORRIBLE headache-dunno if it's due to medience), then i will go to ER BUT at ANOTHER hospital tmr to get anothr opinion.

unfortunately, all my family are in utah (they have no idea that i'm this sick yet) so i cna't ask them to come an dinterpret. most o fmy friends here are deaf. i think what i will do is tmr if i feel worse, i ll call er before i arrive and ask them to get an interpreter and just cross my fingers that i'll get lucky and have an interpreter there

pls continue to send me positive vibes cuz i really donot want to go back to er. im going back to bed now.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Pamela,

It's good to hear from you, I'm sorry it doesn't sound like a very good er visit. Fwiw, I had cellulitis last year on my lower, outer calf - it was not due to any kind of wound, scratch etc. It just was this area of red skin that became very painful. It took time and antibiotics to clear up, and yes, it can become very serious (My stepfather ended up in the hospital when he had this years ago).

I honestly almost posted asking you if it might not be cellulitis, so something in your description triggered my synapses to fire

Do not hesitate to go back, but I think making sure there is an interpreter available so communication doesn't have to be so frustrating, is a very good idea.

Please keep us posted, yes..a lot of folks care!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ps..it's a bit specific but this article is excellent: click here Be sure to scroll through the whole thing, it describes er assessement for this, what tests and when, are indicated and when reassessement should be made (24-48 hours), notes that no discernible break in the skin is necessary, and lists treatments depending on the initial degree of severity.

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Pamela, thanks for the update, sorry that your ER experience SUCKED! >:-< I hope that the meds start working soon, if you feel LOTS worse, I would try and go to the other ER tonight. I will be praying for your safe recovery. Hugs.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela, hope you get better soon

it must be awful not being able to have ann interpretuer to hand.

hope your feeling better soon

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

i spent 3 hours in the er and am NOT satisfied with the service. dr diagnosed me with cellulitis after looking at my hand for 2 min, listening to my symptoms(most of itme we had to write back and forh) then gave me 2 mediences- 1 for antibiotic and 1 for painkiller. she didn't even take blood, x ray or anything like that. i am not sure i trust her diagnosis based on that but i looked on net quickly for this and i do meet SOME of the criterias. one problem is i have NO wounds, cuts or bites so how could i have gotten this? apparently cellulitis is a skin infection- can get into blood and/or bones and apparently is very serious if not treated. dr said if i continue to feel worse to come back tmr to the ER! can u believe that??
I know the pain you are talking about! I had a cellulitis after having my clot. They are very hard to diagnose but they have so many symptoms which are simialr to clots.
I'm with you, I would have felt better had she taken a blood sample. When I had mine, they did but probably b/c I had already had a clot.

I'm so glad that you went. I'll be thinking of you. You make sure you get some rest....cellulitis is VERY painful as you know. If you are in such pain, I'm sure that your family would come in an instant.

Take care!

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Pam. So sorry that it has been such a hard time for you. I feel that you should go back to the ER, your head ache may not be the medicine. I wish you would phone one of your friends to come over and sit with you. Saving a little pray and sending you all the best in thoughts and wishes. Debbie

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. I've also had cellulitis before and it can be very painful. Actually when I first read your post the first thing I thought of was cellulitis. This may not assure you any but ER doctors see a lot of this type of thing daily and are pretty good at diagnosing it. I think she told you exactly what she should have! If it gets worse in the next 24 hours then go back. Or find an urgent care clinic. If you go back to the Er then go at a different time so you can get a different opinion.

Hoping you get better soon!

Tammie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Pamela, I am praying for you! Calling ahead so they can get an interpreter sounds like a good idea. But maybe a deaf friend could go, too? Even if they can't communicate better than you most of the time, you have one hand sick, and are feeling terrible. Or maybe they have a loved one who can help interpret.

I'm glad to say that where I work my company sent one person to classes to learn sign language so we have an interpreter available just in case.