Need input - FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. Risks/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsnip404

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahahhaha!!  I have some that I should copyright as emoticons.  I'll share those and some better ones soon.  :p

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Nero is a cutie patootie! Love the pic with the tongue sticking out.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nero looks like a medium-long hair. I love that type of black cat. Makes me miss Ashley my DLH  I had for 16 years until 1998.  

He's so cute, and I like the tongue sticking out too. Reminds me of the Lil Bub pictures.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have another issue that may or may not relate to the FIV + status for Orville.  It seemed to start yesterday, but when he is touched on his hip he turns as if to bite (but doesn't). It's not the sensitive lower back area, but on his hip about halfway down. I know no one here can actually diagnose this, but does anyone have a cat who flinches/turns when touched on the hip?  I know he has had injuries in his life outside, including one where he couldn't put his paw down, but that was the front leg.

And Henryetta is still hissing at him but I think it is improving. She eats next to him and will let him sit in the window with her (very close to her) but it is all on her terms. Orville is trying to become the Alpha cat by running Chaucer off the comfortable places to sleep. Chaucer sometimes challenges and sometimes just jumps down. I don't like this.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Have another issue that may or may not relate to the FIV + status for Orville.  It seemed to start yesterday, but when he is touched on his hip he turns as if to bite (but doesn't). It's not the sensitive lower back area, but on his hip about halfway down. I know no one here can actually diagnose this, but does anyone have a cat who flinches/turns when touched on the hip?  I know he has had injuries in his life outside, including one where he couldn't put his paw down, but that was the front leg.

And Henryetta is still hissing at him but I think it is improving. She eats next to him and will let him sit in the window with her (very close to her) but it is all on her terms. Orville is trying to become the Alpha cat by running Chaucer off the comfortable places to sleep. Chaucer sometimes challenges and sometimes just jumps down. I don't like this.
My Simone does, but she has arthritis due to old age.

She is not grooming her underside or back legs now, and accumulating matts rapidly :/

Of course I'm going to have to break down and deal with this, likely with pain med.

I don't know how it could relate to his fiv, I would think an old injury (although he's not old) or might even be some odd thing like a stuck foxtail? Not sure if you can tell if the fur is smooth since he won't let you touch him there.

Never know what these poor babies go through outside.

Henryetta's hissing, etc is the norm, it usually takes at least a month of full time house living for this to fade. Even then, every so often she will pull it as a reminder of who's boss :)

I do understand you not liking him taking Chaucer's place too. 

So he's establishing himself as well, like wrungs on a ladder in the home, no two can have equal ranking. Seeing this surely hurts you for him, I completely get that.

Although, during establishing you will see these things, but once established you really won't. Slightly here and there, but while it's happening is alot more noticeable which is hard to see now.

Aside from the girls being top, it's determined by strength and will, physically and mentally.

More-so mentally in my opinion, but some is based on physical too.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have another question about Orville and sleeping.  Why is it that he wants to sleep next to one of the others?  He's curled up next to Chaucer now. Neither Henryetta nor Chaucer actively seek each other out as sleeping companions, but Orville does this.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to say exactly but it sure is sweet.

Maybe just his disposition, maybe he feels more accepted, just not sure on that one.

Different personalities maybe.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Zed Xyzed   He's a pretty big boy compared to my other two. I still think he and Henryetta are related.

@catwoman707   It is a sweet trait. He's like that with me, too. He wants to lie next to me sometimes, and he is a big "kneader" and purrer. It's cute to hear this big cat mewing, trilling, purr-trilling, purr-chirping and chirping.  I'm beginning to think he is pretty young as in two or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.