Need Help With Kittens!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get very many pictures of their faces. I think he's named the black one (I believe she is a tortie??) Marley, the smallest one Bella, the striped calico Bambi, the fully orange is Simba, the white and orange one is Arlo, and then fluffy calico is Lyla I believe.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud:" Cuteness Overload "!!
That is about the cutest batch of kittens that I have ever seen!! You are doing a great job - they look plump and bright-eyed :loveeyes:
Thank you for the update with pictures

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good they are drinking from the bottle now! As they grow they need even more milk, so add extra mL's if they want it.

Great job! :)

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So very bad news everyone. One of the kittens passed away. I had noticed she was a lot skinnier than the others and tried feeding her a lot more milk and soft food, but the next day she passed away. She had drank too much the day before that and it came out her nose. I'm not sure if that was the cause or not, but I know that it can be very bad for that to happen to them. After that I noticed her stomach not getting big like the others when she ate and then she died later. Now, little Simba is doing the same thing. He seems not to be gaining weight. I'm going to feed him separately every 2 or 3 hours to see if it helps. He ate 2 scoops of soft cat food and quite a lot of hard food with it, drank water, and belly still isn't any bigger.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh, noooo!!! I know that fading kitten syndrome can happen in the best of circumstances. Is there anyway that you can consult a vet? Maybe try a gofundme or similar crowdfunding that accepts Paypal? If nothing else, try asking the opinion of a local TNR group as they will be more familiar with the challenges facing outdoor kitties in your area. PRAYERS for the rest of the litter, Godspeed over Rainbow Bridge to the little one. If you haven't done so yet, perhaps you could start a thread, with pic perhaps, in the Crossing the Bridge, so that we can honor Heaven's newest little kitty angel. Remember that you are doing your best and these little guys have known love and comfort in your care. And in the wild, without intervention, kittens have a 30% chance of reaching adulthood...Stay strong! :soldier:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stop bottle feeding!

They are old enough to feed themselves now.

They won't aspirate formula into their lungs if they eat on their own.

It's difficult to say what's going on, but if you no longer bottle feed, you'll know it's not a result of aspiration, which is what it sounds like with the kitten who passed.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped bottle feeding them, this happened a week ago when she died. Now he is only seems to be gaining weight on his stomach, and it goes away quickly. I can feel his spine is prominent when I pet him, but he still has his big belly. He plays and lays with the other kittens and if food is left out he will go and eat it regularly. I wonder if maybe I should give him milk in a bowl to help give him a few extra pounds of it the milk will do nothing now that he's almost 6 weeks??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the milk should help. Have they been wormed? It is difficult to know what is going on. They lost their mom pretty early but I have seen kittens have the antibodies from their mom's milk support them until 8 or 9 weeks, and then they develop the illnesses that they were exposed to in utero. You could call a vet that works with ferals - they might waive the office visit fee and charge only for wormer and antibiotics or whatever.
Have you done the pinch test to check for hydration. You could give him some unflavored Pedialyte or other electrolyte replacer, diluted 50%/50%. If you cant get any, www.kitten- rescue.com has an excellent homemade recipe, plus other tips - it is our own TCS member Hissy's website.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of this kitten please?

I'm not sure what the problem is.