Need Help With Kittens!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will start writing down how much each eats next time I feed them. Ive been waking them up but not keeping track of who's ate what.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good. I'll get a report from you in the morning. I hope things go well through the night.

The kittens should begin to catch on soon. They are bewildered by it right now and still expecting their mom. It's sad.

Thanks for caring about them!

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay :) I understand why they don't really want to take the bottle and I feel bad for them, but I'll be extremely upset if any die so I'm going to do all I can to get them to eat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good morning! Are the kittens eating better? How much are they getting?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I woke up at about 2 or 3 and fed them all at least as much as the syringe would hold. So all of them got 3mLs of milk, then I mixed soft cat food with their milk and a lot of them drank and ate it very well. This morning they seem more active and have followed me around as fast as they can, and again each one has only drank 3mLs of milk, then milk from the bowl mixed with the food. I don't think this is enough, but they will not allow me to squeeze anymore into their mouth, and if I do, they don't swallow it they just allow it to drip out of their mouths.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope they will begin to take more, but at least it's something.

Feed them every 1-2 hours instead of every 4 since they are not taking much.

Do you want to keep them, or would you rather give the responsibility to a rescue organization?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving them a bit more milk and warm water with the food every other hour and a few drinks it quite a bit, and making the others drink from the syringe. I'd like to keep them as long as I think I can, but if it seems like I'm not doing good with them I'll want to give them up. I'd rather them be healthy with someone else than die with me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you keeping track of how much each is getting?

Just keep us posted as to how they are doing.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm keeping track to make sure they get at least 3mLs every feeding for now, but I'm trying to get them all to drink 6. I will keep updating about them :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where in Texas are you? I can look for a rescue that may be able to take them for you if you'd like. I'm concerned they may not be getting enough to eat.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have been starting to eat much more!! Even the pickiest of the bunch has started eating the food and milk mix. All of them are now drinking 15mLs every feeding session, plus eating and drinking the milk mixed with food. I think they were just grieving or looking more for their mother than trying to get food, but now have realized she is gone. They're doing really good now :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good to hear, and what usually happens once they catch on. I hope they continue to do well. :)

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too! They're all a little messy though. Is it okay to clean them with a warm wet rag? Theyve got the food mix stuck to their paws and faces.

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay :) do you know how many times I should try getting them to use the bathroom? Like every hour or more?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. I just wondered because they've had a few accidents on each other

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap2: It sounds like you are doing a great job! To make your job easier, ask around for extra puppy pads and/or adult bed pads to line the nest. They are at the stage where they are able to pee and poop on their own but their sphincters aren't developed enough to control "accidents". Newspapers work but are not as absorbent. And people, esp the disabled and elderly, love to help out in some way and are happy to donate.
And I apologize for not reading your thread earlier. Often when tinies are food deprived, their blood sugar drops, they get dehydrated and their digestive system begins shutting down so it is a good idea to rub honey or corn syrup on their gums and to give them an electrolyte replacer (unflavored Pedialyte diluted 50/50 with water or use the recipe on www.kitten-rescue.com).
Congratulations on figuring out on your own about warming their food - it needs to be warmed to 100° or their digestion shuts down. Please keep us posted!:geekcat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will have accidents. Just clean them up. It's not a big deal. If they had a mom, she would still be cleaning them.

Can we get a picture of all of them?

Jjbirdy92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got puppy pads, I asked my relative to bring them when they got the milk and everything, but I can ask around if we run out before going back home :) I figured they'd have a few accidents but I was just worried I wasn't helping enough because it was quite a few very close together while my boyfriend cuddled them D: a little update on them, tonight I tried with the bottle again because the syringe had become so tedious and a very long process as I had to feed each 5 times with it to get even close to a full tablespoon every feeding, and so this time they all have drank the full tablespoon from it and more! Plus eating their little food and milk mix, all but one has taken very well to the bottle and it makes my job a whole lot easier now :D so happy thought I'd just share the little news!!! As well as my boyfriend has named them all, so I will send pictures and try to remember the names of them all :)