Need Help With Baby Kittens Asap!

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so my friends cat had kittens esrly morning yesterday about 3am. Its now been 31 hours. She tells me this morning 3 of the 5 are dead and she doesnt think the other 2 will survive. When i ask her why she said mom isnt feeding them or keeping them warm. Why she waited this long to tell me I have no idea! I do have experience syringe feeding kittens. I have hand raised quite a few whose pregnant mommas have been left at our farm. However none that were this sick. I rushed out and got KMR and brought them to my house. They are FREEZING cold, cant make any sound and are very weak. momma had them under a dresser with the dead ones and eas laying by the dresser but not near them to keep them warm. My guess is theyve had nothing to eat since birth. I put them on a heating pad on low to slowly try to warm them. I know it isnt safe to feed them until their body temp comes up so im trying to wait until their warm. I did rub a little sugar water on their gums to hopefully help give them a little strength! Is there anything else I can do? They are tiny..I havent weighed them because theyre to cold right now. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can give them honey water directly.
Glucose sugar in honey goes straight into blood doesnt need to be digested.

So syrimge feed them this. You may add a ttrifle salt as s homemade pedialyte of sorts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One is perking up a little. The other isnt yet. I noticed the one that is doing a little better.. tilts its head way back. Most 2 day okd kittens ive seen cant hold their heads up very long...this one is almost like it cant put its head down. Its arched back all the time. Even when its laying down sleeping. Is this normal? Ill try to take a picture.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any other advice than what you're doing, but best of luck to you and those little babies!:goodluck:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks alike in convulsion,

Almost as in tetanus attack .
Although I have never heard of cats getting tetanus.

Does it gets worse at sounds and better when its calm and queiet and darkish?

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Neither sound nor dark made a difference. He has started peeing and moving a lot. Also meowing loudly. Now that hes doing better his head is no longer arched backward. His little sibling passed away about 5 min ago but this one seems to be fightin right now! Im including a picture of how his head is much more relaxed.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dtackc6 I cannot offer new advices to those you have already received. I am just wishing you a complete success saving this adorable kitty. I very much look forward to your new posts.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor lonely baby. So he is the only one left?? Congrats on at least getting him up and talking. Have you tried bottle feeding the KMR yet? Get him a stuffed animal and a warm rice sock to cuddle up with.

dtackc6

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes 3 were dead when she called me this morning. I brought 2 home. The one died a couple hours ago :(. I started with a little honey water, and then 1ml of pedialyte solution every 30 min until he started to perk up. He just had his first warm KMR. He ate 4mls of the KMR, peed, and then pooped A LOT! He's now sleeping soundly on the heating pad. I really really hope he makes it. Im trying my best! The stuffed animal is a good idea! Thank you!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes 3 were dead when she called me this morning. I brought 2 home. The one died a couple hours ago :(. I started with a little honey water, and then 1ml of pedialyte solution every 30 min until he started to perk up. He just had his first warm KMR. He ate 4mls of the KMR, peed, and then pooped A LOT! He's now sleeping soundly on the heating pad. I really really hope he makes it. Im trying my best! The stuffed animal is a good idea! Thank you!
He's not out of the woods yet but this sounds like a promising turn around in 12 hours. Especially that how he was holding his head thing. That kind of worried me.
We know you're trying your best. You're doing great!

SunflowerCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please keep us updated on the little guy! It'll be tough since he went without food for so long but I'm happy to hear that he's perked up. Watch out for URIs, those can make a kitten go downhill really fast. As long as he is eating now and staying warm, there is hope. :hearthrob: