Need Help With 6 Day Old Orphan!! WORRIED!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got that you rescued him but thought maybe the father was yours since you described him.  It couldn't hurt to look into trap and release if it's at all an option.  You're doing a great thing for these cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I do believe the father is possibly mine. I do need to have him neutered. However, the mother could either be a stray or a neighbor cat. I can't exactly get a neighbor's cat fixed. lol And don't really have the money to fix all the strays. I have just recently taken in a stray from the local school and then a day or so ago someone decided to drop off a very small female kitten here. So, now I do have a female kitten to have fixed as well. This actually brings my total up to 5.
 But I will make do. lol I love animals, just never had so many cats at once. Usually 2 tops!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have him switched over to the KMR by Petag. He changed over fine. He has been going potty today, little by little. It just still takes some work. Maybe his little belly will get worked out in a couple days and it won't be so hard on us both. He seemed to be a little calmer the last time, but I put him on his back and held his back legs and put my other hand over him so he felt more secure and not just dangling. Then he quieted. So maybe he just feels unsafe the ways I have tried holding him. I wondered if canola oil is ok since I ran out of corn oil. And I also wanted to ask will he not get dry skin from using water every time to potty?
yes, canola = rapeseed oil should be good, esp if its coldpressed. It has roughly the same properties as olive oil, being the same healthy food. and by the same reasons, useful also on the outside, lotsa of E-vitamines and nutrious fatty acids for example the essential Omega3.

Last edited:

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @StefanZ. And thank you @kntrygrl256 I am trying so very hard. I have fell in love with the little guy from the start. I told my kids not to get attached because I was afraid of what would happen but it's hard not to love him. Especially now that he's starting to have personality and play a bit. He even purrs! He's 9 days old today and he has so much spunk! He's definitely a fighter!!

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I let the kitten sleep through the night now? He will be 2 weeks old Sunday. I am having to wake him up in the middle of the night to feed and I feel like he would sleep through. So would it be okay to let him sleep?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I know it's no fun having to get up during the night, been there!

But I would give it another week before going all night.

Once during the night now is okay even, but all night is a long time to go without eating just yet. :)

Hang in there! It will be over before you know it!

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay just checking really! He is worth it so it is okay. I just thought since he was sleeping so good and at the 2 week mark it might be alright. I am feeding every 4 hours now since I did take him to the vet for a check and he said that seems fine. So that ends up only once a night anyway. I just thought I forgot to ask him and you guys would know. Thanks for getting back to me! You all have helped me through so much in the last week with the little guy.