Need Help With 6 Day Old Orphan!! WORRIED!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely will update!! Thank you so much for all the help! You have been so AMAZING!!!

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just tried the suppository. It was awful trying to get it in. He fought and cried and I know it was small enough. It was smaller than his rectum. But he wasn't having it and I felt like it was making his bottom worse. I started crying. So I stopped. I did add vegetable oil to his bottle though. Is there anything else I can do to help him go?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the fact he fought you to me means he needed it. He's probably impacted. You might try inserting it while his bottom is under warm running water. You may need someone to hold him for you. I'm sure his bottom is raw, but he really needs to poop. Have you oiled his bottom? It should be a tiny sliver that you use. This method has worked well for many of our members in the same situation.

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a hard time getting it to go. It kept breaking with him fighting. And he is so tiny. Maybe if I oil his bottom first & try it. He hates being on his back so I might can get my son to hold him in a towel upright and try again. His bottom is poochy too so that makes me think he is constipated. I hate this so bad!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs to be on his stomach, and see that the tiny piece has a bit of a point on it. Oil on his bottom should help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He also must be fed on his stomach with his head up, as though feeding from mom. This is so he doesn't inhale formula into his lungs.

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally! The pieces kept melting or breaking, but I finally got one the perfect size & it went. Yeah I always feed on his belly. Now what?

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I wait til his next feeding & stimulate to see if it helps or try before then?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
msbridges msbridges

Go ahead and try now. If he doesn't go by later today you can give him another one. Try stimulating him under warm, running water while holding him on his tummy. It should help to relax him and when he goes it will wash right down the sink.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you leave the suppository in for it to melt completely?

If so you can potty him afterwards.

Remember to finger tap from here on to save his sore little butt. He fights it because it's sore, which doesn't help him poop either since he tenses up.

The warm water stimulating will help this and he will soon really enjoy it, they all do eventually! :)

Last edited:

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You guys are so great! I took him in there & started him under the water. He started going a bit, but still was being slow about it. I kept at it though. Finally, I started rubbing up his tail & under his belly, around his genitals & giving a little tap. It was like the flood gates opened. I don't know how he had that much in his little belly. But thanks to you guys he definitely feels better & his little belly looks smaller. He did start calming down when he started getting near the end too. Thanks again!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
msbridges msbridges

Thank goodness! Way to go :).

I meant to tell you to rub his tummy and not give up too soon.

I'm sure the little guy feels 100% better for it!

Now get the PetAg KMR and a scale and you're on your way.

Keep putting oil in his bottles to prevent this happening again. And keep his bottom oiled.

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out the door to get it now! Lol Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated.

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have him switched over to the KMR by Petag. He changed over fine. He has been going potty today, little by little. It just still takes some work. Maybe his little belly will get worked out in a couple days and it won't be so hard on us both. He seemed to be a little calmer the last time, but I put him on his back and held his back legs and put my other hand over him so he felt more secure and not just dangling. Then he quieted. So maybe he just feels unsafe the ways I have tried holding him. I wondered if canola oil is ok since I ran out of corn oil. And I also wanted to ask will he not get dry skin from using water every time to potty?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem like you're doing great with the kitty.  Do you plan to get the parents spayed?  

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never even saw his mother. He was drowning when I found him. I don't own a female.

msbridges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are several strayed/feral animals around. We live in the country on back roads.