Need Help Trapping Mother + Kittens!

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to trap a mother cat and three kittens in the hopes of getting them spay/neuter. I have used a humane trap and it doesn't work. I need some ideas and help. Also, if I trap the mother first, what will happen with the kittens?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to trap the kittens first, because without her they are sitting ducks. How old are the kittens? If they are old enough she should be starting to resume her activities of exploring, walking around, and perhaps hunting. That is the best time get them especially if they are old enough to do a little wandering themselves. Kittens are nosy and you can't go wrong with a trap that has tuna fish in it. I like to drip the oil/water a little bit around the cage and on the papers inside the trap.

Make sure that nobody has fed them that day so they are hungry enough to take a risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to trap the kittens first, because without her they are sitting ducks. How old are the kittens? If they are old enough she should be starting to resume her activities of exploring, walking around, and perhaps hunting. That is the best time get them especially if they are old enough to do a little wandering themselves. Kittens are nosy and you can't go wrong with a trap that has tuna fish in it. I like to drip the oil/water a little bit around the cage and on the papers inside the trap.

Make sure that nobody has fed them that day so they are hungry enough to take a risk.
The kittens are between 6-7 weeks.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are between 6-7 weeks.

I just trapped four kittens and their mother is known to not let her guard down until they are about ten weeks old. But then I have seen some mother cats wean them at six weeks of age. Is she always around them? I also wanted to ask you if you could borrow some more traps from you local animal control- that is where I got my three traps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just trapped four kittens and their mother is known to not let her guard down until they are about ten weeks old. But then I have seen some mother cats wean them at six weeks of age. Is she always around them? I also wanted to ask you if you could borrow some more traps from you local animal control- that is where I got my three traps.
I believe she is weaning them off and is always around them. The animal control in my area works with the humane society. They usually have traps to rent, but because of the coronavirus situation they stopped the service. I will look into other places in my area. Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
At that age they can eat on their own and I agree that trapping them first is the best thing if it is possible. Try to see if you can rent some traps or get them from AC. If what you meant by the humane trap not working is that they won't go into it, you should rig it so that it will not close, using a piece of wire, and start to feed them in it, progressively moving the food further into the trap each day. Again, more than one trap would be helpful. I have most luck with KFC but there are other options like tuna, mackerel, ham, etc.

Are you using a TNR or low cost spay neuter hospital where the cats will be returned the next day? If you are unfamiliar with a drop trap, watch a video on how to use them first.