Need Help rehoming, or finding a shelter

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of the humane societies around me seem to be full and I've only lived where I am for a couple months, so I don't know of people to ask around.

I rescued 2 kittens back in November and need to rehome one, her name is Shrimp and she's overly shy/scaredy cat. She is affectionate only towards me and won't go near my husband.

I am in Southern Illinois area, I'm so desperate.

Any comments trying to convince me to not rehome will be ignored.

Trying to Tame 2 Feral 2 month old kittens

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I have an 8 year old cat and Shrimps brother. They both get along and fit into our household.

My older cat and Shrimp do not get along.

Would also suggest reading the last line of my post. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello

Some people use social media. While seemingly your only option, it is often not a good place to try and rehome a cat, especially a shy one. You're trying to set a hard line regarding not keeping her, but there's also the reality of the ugly sort of people who look for owners who are giving cats away so that they can then sell the cats, to product research facilities, as dog-fighting bait, and even as "victims" for fake rescue videos. My comment isn't intended to be scare tactics, it's just telling you what it is like out there.

Until you come up with some sort of solve, set Shrimp up in her own room so that she has a little peace away from the other cat.

Talk to your veterinarian. They may have ideas for easing the situation in the house - even including cbd or other calming product(s) for either cat if cbd is legal there, and may have ideas/knowledge regarding re-homing and locations etc of shelters and rescues.

If you haven't already, do a search-engine search of cat rescues in your city. Also, do not use craigslist but you might try Nextdoor.com. See if there's a Cat People Group on ND.

If you do go the social media route be absolutely sure to post a rehoming fee. Nextdoor suggests at least $50.00, for the safety of the animal.

Here are links that may provide some information;
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat - TheCatSite

16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite

Find a cat friendly veterinarian

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? [Answered] - TheCatSite

Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

"Kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens - TheCatSite

Last edited:

Seymour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not going to try to talk you out of finding your kitty a home, but want to share my experience because I think it may be helpful. And I wish you all the luck in the world.

Your description reminds me of our Sami. She was one of six feral kittens we rescued. We found an excellent lifetime home for one and still have the other five. We're taking our time looking for good homes for them, but are not in a hurry. Sami has lived with us since she was a tiny kitten and she still thinks we're Godzilla and King Kong. She's shy, but has progressed quite a bit from her initial wild stage when even the sight of us would send her scurrying under a bed. She watches us with the other kittens, who are total love bugs after many months of working with them, but other than sniffing us and letting us get a quick pet, she wants little to do with humans.

We also have a number of geriatric kitties who aren't big fans of the littles but are getting used to them. If we weren't so elderly, they'd be here for life, but we know they will outlive us, so we are looking for excellent homes for the littles and not worrying about Sami. She will come around when she's good and ready.

I suggest you give yours some time to learn from the other cats and, in the meantime, search for someone who will be open to the prospect of a very shy, standoffish kitty. Sami has been a challenge, but the one we adopted out was equally standoffish and he has adapted beautifully to his new home and brother. We were fortunate they knew exactly what they were getting, which was a cat that would take time to form bonds and they didn't expect him to be a cuddle bug. Instead, they worked with him and he gradually warmed up to his new living situation with two humans who truly will provide an excellent lifetime placement.

My suggestion, based on a similar experience, is to work towards finding a quiet, patient home for the little one and, as tiggerwillow said, involve your vet in your search if possible. My vet is on the lookout for appropriate homes for our guys. They are all neutered and spayed, have their vaccinations, are microchipped, and come with the caveat that they can be returned at any time to us if it doesn't work out. If we are not able to take them back our adult children will accept them.

And I second the cautionary tales posted by others: a lot of shady people want kitties for reasons that are not always obvious. Where I live, they use them as bait animals to train fighting dogs or feed the kittens or smaller ones to snakes or other reptile pets.

By all that is holy, that will not happen to our kitties if I am able to help it.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution that works for you and kitty both.

Attachments

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would also suggest reading the last line of my post. :)
Read it, was just hoping there was other reasoning for simple solutions.
I've been doing cat rescue for over 20yrs and get left with the elderly and sick. I just have to think outside the box to accommodate them all sometimes. Noir everyone's going to be best buds and some even get separated. I have a Cancer gal that doesn't have a mean bone in her body, but just doesn't like other cats. So she gets her own bedroom. It happens.
As a note, nowadays if I finda young cat and don't have the time to look for a new set of parents, I will ask a local cat rescue (they do the same as I but with a network, volunteers, & donations) if they will accept it. I give age, sex, image and offer them a donation WITH the kitten. That last bit seems to make all the difference. I typically give 80-100 a cat. If they know there will be some funds to help they're more likely to take one in.
And it may arm like a bit, but it's still cheaper thank keeping by far.😊

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to check with local TNR groups, as well. They may know of folks who specialize in socialization of ferals, which certainly CAN be done with enough time and patience. THIS IS NOT A DIG AT YOU! MOST people with jobs really do not have that kind of time, no matter what their patience levels may be. I totally understand that you are trying to do your best for everyone involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doughnutouchme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of the humane societies around me seem to be full and I've only lived where I am for a couple months, so I don't know of people to ask around.

I rescued 2 kittens back in November and need to rehome one, her name is Shrimp and she's overly shy/scaredy cat. She is affectionate only towards me and won't go near my husband.

I am in Southern Illinois area, I'm so desperate.

Any comments trying to convince me to not rehome will be ignored.

Trying to Tame 2 Feral 2 month old kittens
Update! Found a Foster home for her and has been happily rehomed!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so very much for letting us know this very good news! All too often, we are left wondering. KUDOS for finding her just the right place to reach her full potential! EXCELLENT JOB!