need help pregnant cat

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what does that mean
It means that the moderators have done some shifting around of posts to keep each person's thread on topic: the OP's cat and kittens.  It has become very difficult to accurately answer questions when several cats are being discussed in one thread.  It is much easier for everyone to understand the back story when you each have your own threads.  

Of course you are welcome to share things more "chat style" via the PM system too.  We are here to educate and help; but we can't do that properly when everyone is talking all over each other. 

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks even though I'm technically an adult on here I'm still learning.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So its been two hours since prim delivered her 4th kitty. Right now the kittens are nursing while prim cleans them. She's very calm and is letting me pet her head. I. Felt her belly which seems soft and she actually laid back as if to say "that feels nice" I'm.so proud of her :-) she did an awesome job. So does it sound like we're on the clear? We've decided to vaccinate and alter all Kitty's Prim included. Were keeping two and two are going to family me members. Where to go from here?!
I'm glad to hear it all went so well. Did you count the placentas as the kittens were born? If not it's okay, but it's something to watch for in the future. If she starts acting ill there is a chance she retained one and you will want to have her seen by a vet ASAP. 

I'm so happy to hear you are making the responsible choice and will have Prim and all the kittens vaccinated and altered. It is by far the best gift you could ever give them! I think you already have made their appointments for their spay/neuter, but be sure to ask your vet at what age they prefer to begin their vaccinations. The basic FVRCP vaccine is given in three rounds, usually starting around weeks 7-8. But, all vets do it a little differently so be sure you ask yours when they should start. 

I agree with Stefan that the most important thing you can do right now is the daily weight check. Make sure you always weigh the babies in front of her and try to be as quick as possible about it. Average daily gains should be 10-15grams but some days with more or less is fine. If any lose weight take them to the vet ASAP, as weight loss is the number one sign that something is wrong. And, don't compare their growth to one another. Each kitten will have their own growth spurts and some may just be smaller than others. The main thing is that they are gaining some everyday. 

Just for reference here is a general link to a timetable of what you can expect over the next 12 weeks: http://www.raising-happy-kittens.com/kitten-growth-chart.html . It's not the best one I have seen but it's pretty good and I like how they break it all down. At this phase your main job is to take care of Prim so that she can care for her babies. There will be plenty of time for socialization when they are a little older but for now Prim needs to know that she safe and no one is going to hurt her babies. I would keep her confined to just one room and limit the number of people who go in there. Den moves are common anyway but if a lot of people are going in and out Prim may feel her nest is not safe and will be more inclined to move and move them more frequently. Make places you don't want her to go unattractive and give her another den option in case she decides to move. 

Finally it's never too early to start kitten-proofing! In a few weeks these little ones will be getting into anything and everything. Take the time to lay on your belly on the floor so you can see things from their perspective. Shelves should be cleared off, hidey holes should be covered up, and cords need to be safely secured and out of reach. 

You are definitely over a big hurdle now that the kittens are here safe and sound but you still have a long way to go. And, above all, remember that Prim can go back into heat at any time. It sounds like she is already a "runner" so you want to take as many extra precautions as you can to ensure she doesn't get out. If possible I really would confine her to one bedroom or spare room, not only for her privacy but to make sure she stays in (remember to keep the windows in the room securely latched at all times as well. I had a Tom almost scratch his way through my sliding door trying to get to a Queen in heat on the other side). The last thing you need is another litter on the way before you get this batch off the nipple! 

Keep asking questions as they come up. Best of luck as you begin this next phase! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like hearing about you guys cats in my thread sooo no need to move it or delete it. We'll see who comes first crystal roxy or your cat? Whatd her name?
Just to address this lala I know it doesn't bother you but it makes it extremely difficult to try and follow what's going on with everyone when things are being posted all over. Other users can best help if we can read the backstory and answer questions all in the same place. When there are too many people talking about multiple litters in one thread it's too easy for important questions to get lost in the shuffle. And, helping solve problems is what we are all here for! 

This thread is solely to discuss any questions/problems that cwhit and Prim have so let's all do our best to keep it limited to that. 

Last edited:

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This may be lack of sleep talking but I'm lost. Who had how many kittens and what's going on?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This may be lack of sleep talking but I'm lost. Who had how many kittens and what's going on?
As EB24 said in a previous post..........This thread was originally started by cwhit1005 and was about her cat, Prim, and the kittens. If you're going to start talking about other kittens or something other than cwhit1005, Prim, and Prim's kittens, please start another thread. It gets very confusing otherwise. Posts that have nothing to do with the subject will be deleted.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it all went so well. Did you count the placentas as the kittens were born? If not it's okay, but it's something to watch for in the future. If she starts acting ill there is a chance she retained one and you will want to have her seen by a vet ASAP. 

I'm so happy to hear you are making the responsible choice and will have Prim and all the kittens vaccinated and altered. It is by far the best gift you could ever give them! I think you already have made their appointments for their spay/neuter, but be sure to ask your vet at what age they prefer to begin their vaccinations. The basic FVRCP vaccine is given in three rounds, usually starting around weeks 7-8. But, all vets do it a little differently so be sure you ask yours when they should start. 

I agree with Stefan that the most important thing you can do right now is the daily weight check. Make sure you always weigh the babies in front of her and try to be as quick as possible about it. Average daily gains should be 10-15grams but some days with more or less is fine. If any lose weight take them to the vet ASAP, as weight loss is the number one sign that something is wrong. And, don't compare their growth to one another. Each kitten will have their own growth spurts and some may just be smaller than others. The main thing is that they are gaining some everyday. 

Just for reference here is a general link to a timetable of what you can expect over the next 12 weeks: http://www.raising-happy-kittens.com/kitten-growth-chart.html . It's not the best one I have seen but it's pretty good and I like how they break it all down. At this phase your main job is to take care of Prim so that she can care for her babies. There will be plenty of time for socialization when they are a little older but for now Prim needs to know that she safe and no one is going to hurt her babies. I would keep her confined to just one room and limit the number of people who go in there. Den moves are common anyway but if a lot of people are going in and out Prim may feel her nest is not safe and will be more inclined to move and move them more frequently. Make places you don't want her to go unattractive and give her another den option in case she decides to move. 

Finally it's never too early to start kitten-proofing! In a few weeks these little ones will be getting into anything and everything. Take the time to lay on your belly on the floor so you can see things from their perspective. Shelves should be cleared off, hidey holes should be covered up, and cords need to be safely secured and out of reach. 

You are definitely over a big hurdle now that the kittens are here safe and sound but you still have a long way to go. And, above all, remember that Prim can go back into heat at any time. It sounds like she is already a "runner" so you want to take as many extra precautions as you can to ensure she doesn't get out. If possible I really would confine her to one bedroom or spare room, not only for her privacy but to make sure she stays in (remember to keep the windows in the room securely latched at all times as well. I had a Tom almost scratch his way through my sliding door trying to get to a Queen in heat on the other side). The last thing you need is another litter on the way before you get this batch off the nipple! 

Keep asking questions as they come up. Best of luck as you begin this next phase! 

Thank you so much.
I was with Prim during the whole delivery. Four kittens and 4 placentas (she ate them all)
I got a digital scale and kitties are gaining wonderfully
The vet won't will do all shots minus the rabies but we have an appointment for those (@12 weeks)
Thankfully everything went great and all are well :-)
We've kitty proofed the room they'll be in for the next two weeks. Were moving and at the new house I'm confining the kitties to one floor

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Its crazy, I definitely thought they would be loud but they barely ever make any noise :-)

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's just wonderful! I don't handle them too much, just to take them out to clean the meeting box and give them a little lovens Lol she doesn't mind at all. I'm the only one ever around he'd and the kittens. I want them to feel safe and have privacy. But she doesn't mind. I was shocked that she allowed me to be by her side during delivery. i thought cats were super private with that but it was the complete opposite. She wanted me with her :-) definitely an awesome experience that I'll never forget

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that is good and that all depends on how much they trust you. Does Prim try to jump back in the box when you try to clean it?

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No not at all. Prim has left me in the closet alone with them while she went to eat and use the latter box (all in the same room) but there's no doubt that she trusts me

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tabby leaves me alone with buddy she has from day one (when she had to eat and just wanted a couple min away from him) but Tabby also tried to jump back in the box we have for them now neither one uses it except when we are eatting or buddy has bitten us to hard. How long do you plan on keeping the box cause I'm about to get rid of mine.

cwhit1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well once we move they'll have their own room. So j figured I'll keep the box until they don't use it (my understanding 4weeks)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much.
I was with Prim during the whole delivery. Four kittens and 4 placentas (she ate them all)
I got a digital scale and kitties are gaining wonderfully
The vet won't will do all shots minus the rabies but we have an appointment for those (@12 weeks)
Thankfully everything went great and all are well :-)
We've kitty proofed the room they'll be in for the next two weeks. Were moving and at the new house I'm confining the kitties to one floor
This is great to hear. It sounds like you are doing everything exactly right. 
Thank you! Its crazy, I definitely thought they would be loud but they barely ever make any noise :-)
Healthy kittens this young are quiet ones. If they were making noise all the time it would be an indication that one of their needs aren't being met. In addition to weighing this is the other thing to watch for. 
She's just wonderful! I don't handle them too much, just to take them out to clean the meeting box and give them a little lovens Lol she doesn't mind at all. I'm the only one ever around he'd and the kittens. I want them to feel safe and have privacy. But she doesn't mind. I was shocked that she allowed me to be by her side during delivery. i thought cats were super private with that but it was the complete opposite. She wanted me with her :-) definitely an awesome experience that I'll never forget
Again, exactly right. You really only need to handle them each day to get a weight. Otherwise, your job is to take care of Prim and respect her boundaries (or lack thereof). It surprised me too how many of my fosters have actively sought attention during labor but after delivery can be a whole different story.

I have to disagree with Tabbymommy- I don't think it's all about trust, it's about instinct. Most Queens will do a den move at least once (it's their instinct telling them not to keep their babies in the same place for too long as it will attract predators). Handling the babies frequently increases this urge to move. And, most Queens are highly inconsistent. I've had some snatch babies out of my hand during the daily weigh when just the day before they were completely uninterested in what I was doing. If Prim starts acting protective it's not necessarily a sign that she doesn't trust you, but because her nature is telling her otherwise. Humans are no different. When my nephew was born my SIL was like this. Once second she would be begging me to take him and the next practically ripping him out of my arms because she wanted him safe with her. You are a Mom- I'm sure you can identify!
Well once we move they'll have their own room. So j figured I'll keep the box until they don't use it (my understanding 4weeks)
You are right. In general around the 4 week mark the kittens stop needing the box. But, I always leave it set up for the duration as it makes a wonderful place to nap!
So do you think its normal for my kitten and cat not to use it anymore since he is 3 weeks? How big of a room are you going to be putting them in cause our room is barley big enough for us and them plus their litter box and food. Would it be about 12'x8' cause that is about the size of our room and I'm bored so I'm trying to keep this convo going with random questions lol
I have asked a mod to start you your own thread on this issue. Again, this thread is for cwhit and questions/comments relating directly to Prim and her kittens. I don't want to nag the issue but we have to keep the threads organized. Otherwise, cwhit's questions will get lost in the mix and no one will be able to provide the advice and support that she needs. Most users don't have the patience to read through several pages of what appears to be a private conversation, and so if questions are asked by cwhit they are less likely to be seen. Please, feel free to start any new thread that you need to in regards to Tabby, but refrain from general chit-chat in someone else's thread. 

This is also a great conversation for the two of you to continue via PM. 

Last edited: