Need Help please

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new little kitty has been sneezing alot. It getting where I think he is having breathing issues like us when we have a cold stuffy nose. I took him to the Vet and he was put on liquid Cefaxlin orange flavored and he got bad tummy upset so they gave me a steroid to put in his nose which was really eye drops?? Anyway he wasn't or isn't getting better. The vet recommended to get neo synephrine children formula but they don't make it anymore. Just little noises nose drops but I read not to give this on the web,He has been tested for fiv,herpes virus and I think chlamydia. They spoke about giving Famiclovir would you give this to a 5 month old kitten? This medicine again sounds very scary but he needs something he is getting worse.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He definitely needs to be treated for the chlamydia. If that's left untreated, he'll never get well.  It's very common to use eye drops in the nose. We use either Gentamycin or Tobramicin drops with my herpes girl in her nose.  I don't know that I would go the route of  Famciclovir just yet, esp on a 5 mo old kitty.

Personally, I'd take all his records and get him to a different vet that's more proactive.  I don't know which meds will best treat chlamydia as I've never dealt with that, but there's got to be something that will work.  I would also add L-Lysine to his diet.  You can get it in capsule form at the health food store or even in the supplements section of Wal-Mart or the drug store.  He needs to get 500 mg twice a day.  Then, do the Little Noses drops a couple of times a day to help clear out any congestion.  Use the eye drops in his nose.  If you can find a grain-free kitten food, that would really help things, too.  Since he's so young, make sure he's getting wet food a couple of times a day as well as dry food. 

Did the vet culture anything?  Did the vet run the PCR URD test on him?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Famciclovir is given to kittens, according to Plumbs Veterinary Handbook - see post #2 in this thread:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/274635/famciclovir-dosage

Have you tried giving your little guy lysine?  Lysine is an amino acid that helps boost immune function and that has proved extremely useful in treating URIs and herpes outbreaks.  Giving lysine together with lactoferrin may be even more effective.   If you search the site for "lysine" you'll find many more threads on its use.

I'm a little surprised your vet didn't recommend lysine but do ask him first before trying it.  It's always best to run these things past the vet first.   Reading between the lines, though, it looks like you may not have complete confidence in your vet.  If you are at all worried about your kitty's treatment, seek a second opinion.  You'll find in the coming years that having a vet you trust and respect is extremely important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. My baby has been tested for herpes virus I'm pretty sure it was negative and also fiv . I am giving lysine have been for 3 months. I was apprehensive about giving Famiclovir. I gave him only one dose then read about internet and was too afraid to give him something that causes such side effects and plus to such a young kitten. The lady vet hadn't seen this kitten but one time I normally see the gentleman. She ordered the eye drops ( tobramycin) and Famiclovir over the phone without seeing him. The little noses that the Vet recommended has Phenylephrine in it not the saline one would you give this? What about Benadryl? I have been thinking getting a 2nd opinion,. Any suggestions are very much appreciated thank you again

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Famciclovir is safe at any age as long as the kitten doesn't have an allergy to it.

If you feel that your veterinarian isn't doing the job, find another vet, but do so with all haste, and don't withhold a long-proven, veterinarian-prescribed anti-viral from your kitten because of something you read on the internet.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have given Famciclovir to 5 month kittens with no bad side effects.   Matter of fact it ( in conjunction with lysine) worked well for their herpes outbreak.

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused I have one of you to say not give the Famiclovir and one too. They checked him for herpes and he was negative. I guess I would have been more trusting if a Vet that I've only seen once and if they could have seen him instead diagnosing him over the phone. Plus no culture was ever done on any drainage. He don't sneeze for a while and then something sets him off. We cleaned the house top to bottom and plus got a air purifier. Believe me if this medicine helps and won't hurt him anyway I will give it to him,, I'm scared because he is a kitten and I can bear to loose him. I've have been giving him the steroid eye drops in the nose and Terrmycin eye ointment in the eyes and giving him the lysine. He eats well and drinks and plays but the sneezing and the swallowing like it's is drainage down his throat.This is why I came to the site because the knowledge and what the thread would do,. Believe me I have his best interest and will seek professional help this week. I want him better. Would anyone give the Little noises or Benadryl at all? Thank you all for your input

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused I have one of you to say not give the Famiclovir and one too. They checked him for herpes and he was negative. I guess I would have been more trusting if a Vet that I've only seen once and if they could have seen him instead diagnosing him over the phone. Plus no culture was ever done on any drainage. He don't sneeze for a while and then something sets him off. We cleaned the house top to bottom and plus got a air purifier. Believe me if this medicine helps and won't hurt him anyway I will give it to him,, I'm scared because he is a kitten and I can bear to loose him. I've have been giving him the steroid eye drops in the nose and Terrmycin eye ointment in the eyes and giving him the lysine. He eats well and drinks and plays but the sneezing and the swallowing like it's is drainage down his throat.This is why I came to the site because the knowledge and what the thread would do,. Believe me I have his best interest and will seek professional help this week. I want him better. Would anyone give the Little noises or Benadryl at all? Thank you all for your input
You must realize that many people on here are not veterinary professionals. The best advice you will receive is from your veterinarian. And if you want a second opinion, you can go see another veterinarian.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So the big problem is that he needs for the chlamydia to be treated.  If you can get that treated and taken care of, the rest of his symptoms should clear up. What did the vet give you to treat that?

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the Vet checked him for Chlamydia and it was negatives. He put him on Cephalaxin and Lysine but the antibiotic gave him a bad tummy upset,. I called to try to see the Vet because he was still sneezing and spoke to the one vet that I've only seen once on the phone and she gave me Famiclovir and the steroid eye drops. I read this could be allergies or him allergic to his food catliter and etc. I just thought a test should have been done before a strong medicine is given,. Am I wrong,?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
We know you have your kitten's best interest at heart, don't worry about that. It's obvious you care very much for him and are doing everything you can to get him better.

I don't know what Little Noises is but I do know that Benadryl is often given to cats.  You need to ask a vet first to make sure you get the right dosage and also because you should always check with a vet before self-medicating your cat.  However, I can understand why you're concerned with the vet care you've been given so far.  It is unusual for a vet to prescribe medication for a cat he has never seen before.  Do you have other vets nearby to whom you can take him?

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Vet recommended the Little noises and the Benadryl I read on here. My Vet wanted me give Neo synephrine children formula but they don't make it anymore but Little noises is it's substitute but it has Phenylephrine and I just don't dose my kitten with strong chemicals . I am afraid it may harm him also. I am just very cautious exspecially since I lost Romeo. I just want him better and I know Vets can make a mistake too if they are just guessing at a diagnosis exspecially over the phone

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Vet recommended the Little noises and the Benadryl I read on here. My Vet wanted me give Neo synephrine children formula but they don't make it anymore but Little noises is it's substitute but it has Phenylephrine and I just don't dose my kitten with strong chemicals . I am afraid it may harm him also. I am just very cautious exspecially since I lost Romeo. I just want him better and I know Vets can make a mistake too if they are just guessing at a diagnosis exspecially over the phone
Then go to a veterinarian and buy veterinary products.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given Benadryl to cats, but for such a young kitten, the dose would have to be precise. It's not easy cutting a small tablet into quarters. It's not uncommon at all for young kittens to have runny noses and eyes, it usually runs it's course in a few months. What you have to watch for are 'secondary' infections, which are usually bacterial and can be handled with an antibiotic, like pneumonia, bronchitis, or  eye infection. Fever would not be normal either. In the meantime, sit in a small bathroom that is steamed up from hot water, or hold a hand held humidifier near his nose, that would help tremendously. They sell 'immune system fortifiers' on Amazon that wouldn't hurt, they are herbal, and safe, often in combination with Lysine. You might want to try that. All the luck and tell us what you find that works!

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just be careful of what kind of herbal oils you use in a humidifier. Some are toxic to cats. I would just use a normal humidifier, if you go that route, and just use distilled water in it (to prevent residual buildup and give the humidifier longevity).

However, rather than getting advice over the phone by a veterinarian or by strangers on a forum, consider taking your kitten to a veterinarian and let them take a look at her.

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again to this thread. I'm definitely going to take him to the old Vet. I changed Vets be caused mine died. But they are others, I just tried these Vets bebause they were close. What is wild just across the road from me in walking distance there is a New Vet moving in the neighborhood they suppose to open sometime in April I can't wait for that. I'm going to call my old Vets office to get him in tomorrow,.If they recommend that I should give the Famiclovir I already have it I just don't like that this Vet didn't know my kitty and prescribed such a strong medicine without seeing him. I want to say Hello to Di and Bob your kind words when I lost Romeo I still read time to time it touched my heart Bless you both,[emoji]128062[/emoji]

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Famciclovir is given to treat herpes. It's used on humans and  cats.  Sorry, I misunderstood about the chlamydia. I thought he'd tested positive for that.  If the PCR URD panel hasn't been run on him, I'd suggest you ask the vet for that as it will show some of the most common secondary infections that keep the symptoms from clearing up completely. 

Ask your vet about an antihistamine. I would normally suggest one, but with your guy being so little, I just don't know if it would be safe or not.