Need help. Missing Kitten =(

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!

Have you tried calling all the shelters, pounds and humane societies around you? They may have recieved a cat.

Also, was she wearing a collar with a tag? Was she chipped (microchipped?)

I think in retrospect, if she does come back, you should be more vigilant in trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening and make sure you tag her, and chip her. and PLEASE, have her spayed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Hissy!! These are such great tips, i'm going to try it. I had a question actually about snow and scent. You mentioned it might hinder the scent of the food. My mother was telling me last night that, that is why she probably got lost. Since water removes the scent of a dog, she figured that the snow must remove the scent of the cat which is why she can't catch a scent to get home. This made me pretty sad and I wasn't happy that she told me that, but it makes sense. Is there any truth to this?

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Th Or like a 7 month old cat at my shelter did, have them too early, in the litterbox and cover them with litter. Not to scare you but it can happen.
OMG
that's terrible

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, of course if she returns I want to buy her a gps!! I will definitely have her chipped and spayed as soon as she comes home. I don't ever want to go through this again. I was way more protective over her going outside than with any of my other cats which were always outdoor access. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I didn't act quick enough with getting her spayed. Again, she had an appointment to do it last Thursday but she ran away before I got her there. She wasn't chipped. My vet never told me about this techonlogy and I had no idea it existed until i came to this site looking for help when she ran away. She wasn't collared. She had one but kept pulling it off.

You live you learn I guess. I will take every step i can to protect her if she ever comes back home.

I did check the animal shelters and have sent them all flyers. i have also been in contact with our animal control in my town. The nearest shelter is about 20 minutes away, but I sent one to all of the shelters, clinics and animal hospitals in our vicinity.

QUOTE=RarePuss]I'm so sorry!

Have you tried calling all the shelters, pounds and humane societies around you? They may have recieved a cat.

Also, was she wearing a collar with a tag? Was she chipped (microchipped?)

I think in retrospect, if she does come back, you should be more vigilant in trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening and make sure you tag her, and chip her. and PLEASE, have her spayed!
[/quote]

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kteegirl24

Thank you! Yes, of course if she returns I want to buy her a gps!! I will definitely have her chipped and spayed as soon as she comes home. I don't ever want to go through this again. I was way more protective over her going outside than with any of my other cats which were always outdoor access. I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I didn't act quick enough with getting her spayed. Again, she had an appointment to do it last Thursday but she ran away before I got her there. She wasn't chipped. My vet never told me about this techonlogy and I had no idea it existed until i came to this site looking for help when she ran away. She wasn't collared. She had one but kept pulling it off.

You live you learn I guess. I will take every step i can to protect her if she ever comes back home.

I did check the animal shelters and have sent them all flyers. i have also been in contact with our animal control in my town. The nearest shelter is about 20 minutes away, but I sent one to all of the shelters, clinics and animal hospitals in our vicinity.
again, i'm sorry
you seem to be doing sooo much, it hurts just reading this

btw, i have a purebred cat at home (very expen$$ive) who's 100% indoor and does not wear a collar. If it was an odd chance he got out, he's not even chipped either ( i know, very stupid). So it's not like i have everything 'right' either
we all make mistakes .....

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marina,

I know what you mean. I hurt for everyone here who's missing their little ones. I was joking about the gps =-) (unless they actually make such a thing. that'd be fantastik! We'd know where they are at all times), but I will definitely get her chipped. At least I wouldn't have to worry about contacting the shelters and such since they scan.

Oh boy.. well I will certainly keep trying and keep everyone posted. At least I have a couple new things to try. At least if I'm activly doing something, I don't feel so helpless.

take care!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we left a trail of her used kitty litter, cat food, tuna and prawns from where we last saw maverick to our house (through the streets like a mad woman. oh the stories i have and the things i have seen by being out at 2am every night for a week!) and she came home the next day.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, let's not try and judge someone in this thread. Cats are quick and they get out, and lessons learned are hard enough without adding any more stress to the situation. In a perfect world all cats would be spayed or neutered- but this is far from a perfect world.

Yes, the snow will hamper the scent being laid out. Plus if it is still snowing, what you are laying out gets covered soon enough. I wonder if you can get a few cheap litter pans and fill them and put them under cover somewhere close where she was spotted. She might just climb in there and stay because it gets her out of the snow and the litter will feel familiar to her. Just trying to throw out ideas on how to get this cat back to you.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Hey guys, let's not try and judge someone in this thread. Cats are quick and they get out, and lessons learned are hard enough without adding any more stress to the situation. In a perfect world all cats would be spayed or neutered- but this is far from a perfect world.
very wise words Hissy.

Cats are far smarter and more determined than i ever gave (mine) credit for.

All i can say is never give up hope. I was convinced my cat was never coming back and she made it through snow, wind and frost when she had never set foot outside with out me before.

She's close by so hopefully she'll be home soon. your doing all you can.

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Maverick, what are prawns?

It's hard for me to tell where to make this trail as the last place I saw her was in my driveway. I live in a culdesac with about 3 neighbors and we all have woods in our backyards. Judging from where her siting is, it seems like she went straight out behind my house into the woods and appeared on the other side. Although i do not believe she accessed teh woods from behind my house as there are no kitty prints. I think she probably walked across the street to the neighbors house (as it had just snowed a few inches and she avoided walking in the snow, this would be a clearer path to the woods), and she walked around to our backyard through the woods. This is just a guess.

At any rate, I have been putting my kitty buffet out behind my house near the woods on a table (so that other animals can't get to it), as I feel this would be her closest access home. I layed out a trail of catnip and dry catfood from the woods to the table. On the table i put a huge bowl of dry cat food and 3 cans of her favorite wet catfood and tuna. I also have a bowl of dogfood as it was suggested that this smell carrys farther. I have some of my sweaty clothes on the table and also her kitty litter. It has not been touched. I sprinkled dry food all over the back yard on top of the snow to try to attract her. I also bought a dog whistle which seems to get the attention of dogs and seagulls from far away very easily. I sat out for a while last night and heard and saw nothing. The food is not being touched so i don't believe she is near my yard.

I have attached a picture of my neighborhood for everyone to see to get a better idea of where she is and what I might be doing wrong in my search. The green line indicates the walking route I have been taking each day since her sightng. I bring cat nip and dry food with me and a flashlight but see nothing. The woods seem like it is much more distance in this picture than it really is. It measures less than a half of a mile. That whole walking route only takes me a half an hour, so it's not that far. The blue dot indicates where my kitty buffet is. I'm not sure if there's something better I should do or a different angle to take. Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the sweet kitty in those pictures the one that is missing? Golly, I sure hope she comes home soon. If I were closer I would come help you look for her.

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's her! I love her. I know what you mean, I wish I could help everyone on here find their kitties!

kteegirl24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I came home tonight to a phone call from a woman who said she is positive she had my cat in her yard last night around 9:30PM. This woman lives further away than the last siting by about 2miles, maybe 3. She said "she's small right? Not full grown and not a kitten, but defintiely not full grown" i said yeah she's only 7 months. She said yup, I guessed six, but she was sitting right here in my yard,my son tried to grab her. She was really friendly with us but when he got too close she ran to the woods" She hadn't even seen the sign until this morning when she pulled over and said "that's the cat that was in my yard". She said her face is unmistakable. Oh god this is killing me! She has a path shoveled in her yard from her house to her woods because she has male kitties (fixed) so that's where she was sitting. She told me she was gonig to put more food out there tonight to try to lure her in. I don't think she'd let me trap there as she has cats too that could get in it. I don't know what to do, i just have to sit here and wait =(....... She will call me if she see's her at all. It is killing me inside. I just want to be one of the people who is seeing her and I want to run and grab her and never let go.

We are having a snowstorm tonight. The first one we've had since she left 10 days ago so I'm scared. I don't want her to wander anymore I jsut want her to stay put at someone's house long enough for them to grab her.

ugggggg
=( <--waiting by the phone

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats a really good sign! if nothing else it shows shes still alive and seeking out human residence/food sources again.

prawns are near enough the same as shrimps. they are very smelly and were Mavericks faveroite treat. tuna would work too.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i think this is a really excellent lead, just let the woman call.

also, if this woman is friendly, ask if you may trap overnight and for her to keep her males in for about 24hr, if that's ok with her

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH WONDERFUL!!! I wish i lived near you, cause I would come help you search for her! I have said several prayers for you and your kitty and will say another one this evening before bed.
I really, really hope that this has a happy ending and your little one comes home to stay!!! Come on girl, come back home---we're all worried sick about you!!!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kt,

I've been following your story and hope your latest lead pans out! I am thinking about you and your little furry loved-one! I think Rarepuss had a great idea -- see if the woman will put out food and a trap and keep her boys inside overnight.

Good luck! I'll be sending good vibes!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I pray that she has found her little one!!! Please update us soon!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!