Need help making a decision regarding "Winny" the semi/feral female cat

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 402637
Winny,  is one out of a litter of 4 kittens and a tame mother cat that were found by neighborhood women about 9 years ago.  I did not live here at the time.

The mother and kittens were all neutered.   Mother and 2 kittens  were adopted  by people in the neighborhood and became indoor cats.  Winny and her brother were left outside.  The brother died within a year outside. 

Winny has been living outdoors (northern Illinois) ever since.  One of the women fed Winny for years but moved out of state last year. 

Winny has found her way to my home.  I've been feeding her and did the best I could to provided a safe place to stay.  I have a vegetable trug on my patio which is covered with a large black zippered canvas.  Under the trug I place a feral cat house which is lined with silver heat reflecting material filled with straw.    I also  bought her the Kitty Tube which she doesn't use, except to sit on top of it to sun herself.  

Winny meows, purrs and will rub herself around my legs.  I can actually pet her as she arches her back for me to do so.  She is a long haired cat and  last year her fur was so matted I bought a shedding blade to comb her.  She sits at my window and let's me know she is there as she starts pawing at the screen.

I've been in communication with a TNR group who will try to place her if I can catch her and provide foster care  for her until they have an opening.  I can't keep her as I have 2 small  Chihuahuas and  my family members have cat allergies. 

I bought a dog crate for the fostering and needed supplies.     I have tried a  feral cat trap but she won't get near it.  I tried to get her to walk into a  carrier  and entice her with food but she'll have nothing to do with it. 

My neighborhood is a highly wooded  area and there are other cats out there  several whom have chased Winny away.  More concerning are the other wild animals which include coyotes.

This morning a black and white cat chased  Winny who run under the trug.  When I opened the garage door the black and white cat ran away and Winny ran into my garage.    I sat out there for an hour hoping she would check out the crate but was too frightened.  I opened the garage door and out she went.  Now we're back to square one.  I have an outside camera so have been able to view a lot of the activity of other cats and animals wandering through my yard.

Sometimes, I'm not sure if I should try to continue to catch her or let her continue with her life outdoors  as she has for so many years.    Suggestions and opinions would be great!  Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Kiggy, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Thank you for taking the interest in trying to save this kitty and providing her with warmth and food. It seems that this kitty has kind of hooked up on you. It's good to hear that you're in touch with a TNR group in a plan to trap her.

It seems that she's living a dangerous life out there. Would be good if you could trap her and get her to the vet for the necessaries like vaccinations and having her spayed.

Since she's kind of have trust in you and just a suggestion, can you like spare a place in your garage for her, as you've already 2 dogs and family members are allergic to cats as you've mentioned? So she can be like an indoor (garage) and outdoor cat? At least she has a safe place to hide.

As for getting her into the crate, try feeding her near it and each day slowly inch her food bowl closer to it and eventually have her eating from inside the crate till she's comfortable and you can gently close the door of the crate and cover it with a blanket and bring her to the vet.

It'll take some time for her to re-socialize with the fosters since she has already kind of socialized with you already. Judging from her behavior, she does look like a kitty that is looking for a home. So I do hope that she gets adopted soon or at least have a safe refuge with you.

She is beautiful! [emoji]10084[/emoji]

Trying to get more suggestions for you shadowsrescue shadowsrescue

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for Winny.  If I ready correctly, she is already spayed?  That is a start!  She also seems more semi feral.  My guess is that she once was trapped and now knows not to go near one.  

@TabbyTom  had a great suggestion to start feeding her near the crate and then every few days moving it back a bit further.  You might try draping the crate with a sheet or towel too.  I had luck when I fed a feral cat in a feeding station and then began feeding him in a large mesh carrier.  The mesh carrier was less threatening than the wire cage.  I found it on Amazon for around $40.  

Also as TabbyTom mentioned, making a home for her in your garage is an option.  You could provide her with shelter, food and a warm bed during the cold winters.  Yet I can see it would be difficult to keep her in there all of the time.  

Another thought is to build her a catio where she can safely live outside, but not be allowed to roam.  If you do a google search on catios' and search by image, you will find lots of great ideas.  It would keep her in your area so you could continue to care for her, but also keep her safe.  She would have to have a place to be able to get out of the elements.  I know the catios can be expensive, but it's an option.  

Getting her used to a dogs is really not a problem.  I have introduced many of my feral cats to my large Samoyed dog.  As long as the dogs are well behaved and trained there is not much to worry about.  If the dogs are taught not to chase or go after the cat, they can live easily together.  I have 3 cats inside my house now and 3 other ferals outside.  I have had many others throughout the years and never has the dog been a problem.

My DH was also allergic to cats when he was younger.  He now has no problem with the cats.  You could provide Winny with a room of her own.  This would control the allergies in the home if they are not severe.  It just is another option.

I hope the best for Winny.  I would think at her age, it would be best and easiest for her to have the least amount of transitions.  The more she has to make, the harder it will be for her to adapt.  I also would be very certain of where exactly the rescue group will send her.  You want the best for her.

Thank you for your care and concern of Winny.  She is a beauty for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the heartfelt and informative replies.  I like the Catico idea but it will never fly in my regulated community and neighborhood.   My goal is to continue to interact with her everyday until it feel normal to her.  She is skittish and sometime aloof. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, a routine is very important. And it keeps the bond going.

Keep it up and do update us when you can ;)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would leave her where she is. She is fixed & you feed her. Some cats are very happy to live permanently outside. Three of our cats do this. Unfortunately you have coyotes so that is a worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiggy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here I am again still looking for solutions to my feral friendly cat situation. I live in a community that doesn't support feral cats, so I have to work behind the scenes. Nothing has changed regarding Winny's situation. A TNR and rescue offered to provide shelter for Winny through the subzero months of winter, but she will have to come back to me. I recently purchased a drop trap with a remote control and hoped to catch her sometime this weekend. My other dilemma is the white and black feral cat who hangs around and chases Winny. He is a definite wild and aggressive towards her. We live in a wooded area so in the spring and summer there are many things to catch and eat, so I don't usually see the black and white cat. In the winter its' a different story. I don't want to feed him because he then chases Winny off and my neighbors have already complained, blaming me for feeding the cats which encourages them to stay in the neighborhood. I also don't want him to suffer.