Need help!! labor soon or no labor?

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My beautiful baby girl Reece is about to have her first litter of kittens. I was away on business and I'm guessing our other baby Jason had got her pragnant with out my husband's knowing haha.I'm on here because this is my first cat labor experience and don't know what to expect. For once I'm actually clueless about the subject!! I don't know how far along she is but she's showing weird signs. She is such a sweet cat and yes I know she's a bit out of wack due to the pragnancy but starting this morning she has been growling at the our animals and swatting at them and even at other people and by people I mean people besides my husband and I. Is this a sign that she is getting closer to labor And doesn't want others to bother her? Also the vet said to take her temp everyday or every other day to help determine the day she will have them. I've taken it and it was in the 99.3 area for the last three times I had checked it. now it's at 100.2. I have her nest set up but she's more about laying on the cold tile. I did also notice that
-She has fully lost the hair around her nipples.
-She has a little discharge but due to her big tummy she can hardly reach it.
- The kittens are no longer actively moving like they use to.
-She is eating but isn't eating as much as she use to.
Please help! Again I don't know how far along she really is but from the signs I've read about it seems like she's 8 weeks.

(Please no rude comments or anyone being sarcastic. Just need alittle more info to determine when she might have them!)

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My beautiful baby girl Reece is about to have her first litter of kittens. I was away on business and I'm guessing our other baby Jason had got her pragnant with out my husband's knowing haha.I'm on here because this is my first cat labor experience and don't know what to expect. For once I'm actually clueless about the subject!! I don't know how far along she is but she's showing weird signs. She is such a sweet cat and yes I know she's a bit out of wack due to the pragnancy but starting this morning she has been growling at the our animals and swatting at them and even at other people and by people I mean people besides my husband and I. Is this a sign that she is getting closer to labor And doesn't want others to bother her? Also the vet said to take her temp everyday or every other day to help determine the day she will have them. I've taken it and it was in the 99.3 area for the last three times I had checked it. now it's at 100.2. I have her nest set up but she's more about laying on the cold tile. I did also notice that
-She has fully lost the hair around her nipples.
-She has a little discharge but due to her big tummy she can hardly reach it.
- The kittens are no longer actively moving like they use to.
-She is eating but isn't eating as much as she use to.
Please help! Again I don't know how far along she really is but from the signs I've read about it seems like she's 8 weeks.

(Please no rude comments or anyone being sarcastic. Just need alittle more info to determine when she might have them!)

Thanks!
She may even be near now.  Yes, these defensive aggressiveness is common.  Be happy itns not you her humans whom got swatted too!

Make sure she is not stressed nor disturbed.

They often take to their nest very late, they dont want to get it smelly or fleased too early = natural instincts.

When had you began to feel the kittens move?   THAT is often a reliable sign, together when she drops and they dont move as much...

Good luck!

Many of these links have been readied by our forumist  Red Top Rescue:

We have a good collection of articles in the Cat Health section which you can access by scrolling up to the brown bar, clicking on Articles,and then choosing the Cat Health section and scrolling through the choices.  To make this super easy for you, I am copying the links regarding birth, delivery and newborns for you here.  After reading this information, let us know if you have any more questions.  And good luck with your approaching new arrivals.

Birth, Delivery and Newborns

How to Tell if My Cat is Pregnant?

Cat Pregnancy

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Pregnant Cat? What to Prepare For the Birth

Help! My Cat is Having Kittens!

Premature Kittens

Post-Birth Complications in Cats

And also:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/kitten-development-stages-illustrated-guide

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens     ( This is a link to a group of articles on cat pregnancy, birth and kittens.   Read the ones on normal cat birth and on " when to wait and when to worry"  )  

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/index.php/cat-care/kitten-care-handbook/
http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

Fleece or flannel good to use in the bedding for kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you so much!! I think she is going to have them soon. We are so excited!! I just need to get a bit of an idea of how close so I can make sure I take work off for that day to be with her. I felt the kittens move about 2 weeks ago. Now they aren't moving she has milk discharge that leaves her nipples crusty looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, so its as it should be.  They are in positions now, and thus, moves less. Any day now, but the exact hour is impossible to pinpoint.

Rub her belly if she wants it, be sure she is stress free, as stress may delay the labor.  YOU shall not look stressed - as she looks at you...

Good luck! @drcrrckms 29

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat last night was meowing and I came in the room and she was wanting me to follower her and pet her belly I then felt her having contractions. She was purring loudly and constantly licking herself then slept in the same spot all night but nothing happened? Help? What's going on? @stefanZ

Last edited:

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I made a post yesterday concerning my cat about labor. Last night she started meowing really loud a.d I walked into the room and she was wanting me to follow her and rub her belly I then felt her having contractions.. So I put her in her nesting bed and she was constantly licking herself and purring loudly. She end up sleeping in the same spot all night but no babies... I'm really scared cuz she had showed all the signs of labor but now nothing.. Was this a early sign or is something wrong? She's acting perfectly normal..

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat molly gave birth this morning at 8 pm and 2 am to empty sacks in living room and my room and 4 kittens at 7 am till 9 am .Under my son's bed . No strong contractions just shaking . And acting very normal eating and drinking . Don't worry they will come Sorry last night 8 pm, 2 am and 7 am till 9 am

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I made a post yesterday concerning my cat about labor. Last night she started meowing really loud a.d I walked into the room and she was wanting me to follow her and rub her belly I then felt her having contractions.. So I put her in her nesting bed and she was constantly licking herself and purring loudly. She end up sleeping in the same spot all night but no babies... I'm really scared cuz she had showed all the signs of labor but now nothing.. Was this a early sign or is something wrong? She's acting perfectly normal..
If she is now normal, no problems no nothing, you can relax.  Observe as its touchy, but you dont need to panic.

She could have some intensive prelabor, or she pauses...   Both common enough.

We dont like fruitless active long labor, but  calm pauses are more OK.   :)

Continue to rub her tummy if she wants and allows.

some cats wants their caretaker to be near, some prefer to be alone...   You must decide.

If she is of the alone type, be near, but let her be alone in some quite and calm corner.

Good luck!

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It started at 1ish or 2 I don't recall I was just in excited mode.

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing yet still but she is having discharge. Is labor soon?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nothing yet still but she is having discharge. Is labor soon?
Seems normal.  What is the color of discharge?   We dont want it to be discharge containing much pus - pus = immediately vet errand.

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's not a lot just alittle and it's a clearing color.

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So that's my baby girl! She so huge! Today she has been grooming her self plus cleaning up some discharge but nothing out of the normal. She still wants to eat and sleep all day.. In one of the pics you can see how she has lost all the hair around her nipples and has been getting milk. I took her temp today and it was 100.1 . any guess on when she might have them or even What the false contractions were? Should I be worried??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So that's my baby girl! She so huge! Today she has been grooming her self plus cleaning up some discharge but nothing out of the normal. She still wants to eat and sleep all day.. In one of the pics you can see how she has lost all the hair around her nipples and has been getting milk. I took her temp today and it was 100.1 . any guess on when she might have them or even What the false contractions were? Should I be worried??
They do often have some precontractions.   I think its a way from Mother Nature to strenghen up their muscles...  Making them to grow and be stronger, prepare them for the real work a little later on.   That is my belief, as often as there ARE some precontracions.

Loosing hairs around nipples, and getting milk  are yet additional indicies on oncoming soon delivery.

So, I do really think its going according to the plan.   Although its good you are watchful.  Both your knowledge will be much keener, you really KNOWING what happened and when.  But its also sound and wise precaution.   After all, there happens complications now and then, not often but they do happen.   "The guarded is protected by the Lord Himself"  as the proverb says, no?

drcrrckms 29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens yet.. :'( but she is going in parts of the house she's never gone before. Her temp yesterday was 99.5 now it's 100.5 she also is having diarrhea and is hardly eating. What does this mean??