NEED HELP ASAP! EYE INFECTION BULGING EYES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a sweet, brave little boy he is. you did the right thing. I hope he recovers quickly. i'm sure he feels better already 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful baby!

Thank you for the update. Looking forward to more updates and pics in the future :)

:hugs:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy, I am so glad you were able to get him the medical care he needed.  Please keep us posted on his recovery!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are an amazing person!  Thank you for fighting for this kitty and getting him the help he needs.  He is so adorable!  Praying for a complete recovery and a happy life.

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Bash's operation was successful :) He's still at the clinic because he needs to recover. The doctor said we might be able to take him home tomorrow :) He has a dextrose connected somewhere in his hind limb and he's still weak because of some medicines he has taken. I haven't been able to visit him because I was at school the whole day, but my cousin visited him on her way home. She said Bash was kinda weak but when she petted him, he still played with her and circled around her hands which was not a careful thing to do especially when Bash has a dextrose in his other foot. So she didn't disturb Bash for too long, they just talked to the veterinarian about his situation. Yes, they removed his eye, it needed to be done because it is very bad already. I don't have any idea how the eye part is, because as I've said, I haven't seen him personally. My cousin just said that Bash was shaven in that part of his head and that he has a bandage/gauge covering his eye. He is a very sweet kitty, he likes playing even if he's already sick and fresh from operation. It was held at 9 am this morning (in the Philippines) but I dont know for how long. Tomorrow, I'll be updating about his situation, Im hoping we can take him home and that no complications will happen after this. Btw, I'll be posting pictures that were taken yesterday when we went to the clinic. 
Just to prepare you...when they remove the eye they have to stitch the eye socket closed. So when he is released to you he will likely have big, ugly looking stitches covering what was once his eye. It will be really important to keep the cone on him (I know he wriggled free from it before) because he won't like the stitches and will want to paw at them. If he does that, it will cause the stitches to come undone or, worse, get infected. You'll likely have to take him back in a week to 10 days for the stitches to be removed.

This is the hard part. It's really hard to see them this way. The stitches are very distressing to look at and he won't be happy about them. Be strong and know this time is really important for his healing. Make sure the cone they put on him isn't too big so he can't get to his food and water. It's common in the Philippines not to have the right size cone so they may put one that's too big on him. If that happens, you can trim it down with scissors so he's able to get to food and water dishes. But make sure you don't cut it down enough for him to reach the stitches with his paw.

Once he's all healed up you'll never know anything was wrong with him. Cats do perfectly fine with one eye, just lose a little depth perception and have trouble jumping big heights for awhile. He'll be your normal, playful little love bug soon enough. :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just to prepare you...when they remove the eye they have to stitch the eye socket closed. So when he is released to you he will likely have big, ugly looking stitches covering what was once his eye. It will be really important to keep the cone on him (I know he wriggled free from it before) because he won't like the stitches and will want to paw at them. If he does that, it will cause the stitches to come undone or, worse, get infected. You'll likely have to take him back in a week to 10 days for the stitches to be removed.

This is the hard part. It's really hard to see them this way. The stitches are very distressing to look at and he won't be happy about them. Be strong and know this time is really important for his healing. Make sure the cone they put on him isn't too big so he can't get to his food and water. It's common in the Philippines not to have the right size cone so they may put one that's too big on him. If that happens, you can trim it down with scissors so he's able to get to food and water dishes. But make sure you don't cut it down enough for him to reach the stitches with his paw.

Once he's all healed up you'll never know anything was wrong with him. Cats do perfectly fine with one eye, just lose a little depth perception and have trouble jumping big heights for awhile. He'll be your normal, playful little love bug soon enough. :)
I see he is allowed outside, it might be best he is not allowed out until his eye heals, and then only under careful watch until he gets used to the way things are now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am beyond - BEYOND - relieved that you got him to a veterinarian. Now they can give him the pain meds he so desperately needs before surgery too. I couldn't bear to look at the picture's as I know it would haunt me but PLEASE KNOW - that you did RIGHT by Bash and we are all SOOOOOOOOOO VERY thankful and grateful for this. Now he will be cared for and relieved of that painful eye. You are very strong and good for you fighting for Bash and following through to get him medical attention. No matter what happens now - he will no longer be suffering and may have a chance at a better life. Please do keep us posted on how the surgery goes. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
I saw the pictures and I've seen it in person. You are right....you don't want to see. So happy Bash is at the vet. His surgery should be done by now, it's early afternoon in Manila. Looking forward to an update!
Well - I did see the picture unexpectedly last night while I was on my IPhone checking threads - I must have tapped the link to the picture. :( :shame: I have seen bad eyes before but never, ever quite like this and I was shocked as I had no idea an eye could even become that inflamed and enlarged from infection. I am only able to rest easy now knowing Bash is having the eye removed.

---------------------------------------------------

MEGA GINORMOUS VIBES going out to Bash and lorena santiago lorena santiago SO very glad that the surgery was successful. Praying for continued positive updates following his surgery for Bash to heal quickly and get back to being his darling, little self. :rub:

. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes:

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The photos are hard to see but an education that no one whould leave an eye infection untreated. I had no idea it could blossom into such a condition.

mgilbert32

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please try to get diagnosis of why that infection occurred. It could be many things possibly fip. Just wanted to keep you aware. Best wishes for your cat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@mgilbert32    Juleska gave some excellent explanations of the health issues for this little cat, and how the infection can deteriorate incredibly fast, esp see post 50 above.   

This thread is definitely educational for anyone who is unfortunate enough to have a cat with similar infection in future, and from what @juleska  says this is more common than any of us want to think about.   Hopefully this thread will help many more cats in future.   

Fingers and paws still crossed in my home for young Bash, and hoping for continued news that he is fighting off any infection and continuing to improve after his surgery.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for the updates!  Bash is such a strong little guy...we are rooting for him!!

He is a very beautiful, sweet kitty...

Bless you and your family for deciding to take care of him---and for Juleska!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorena santiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

My cousin visited Bash again in the clinic with hopes of being able to take him home. However, the vet said it would be much better if he goes out tomorrow. Maybe they didn't see that much improvement on his condition. He still has dextrose connected to him and he wears a cone. Yes, he stills tries to remove them, the vet said we can cut it to reduce the size (just like what you guys told me), as long as he can eat and drink, it's fine. We just dont want him to reach his eye. He has two medicines, according to my cousin, which I dont know the names of, but I'll tell you the medicines when we get Bash tomorrow. Those are antibiotics, to avoid the eye from swelling and being infected. She said Bash plays with her but when they carry him, he doesn't like it and he tries to spring free from their hands. Im guessing he's still not feeling well. I dont want to meddle with the doctor's decision because she knows what's best for Bash. So when she said Bash will be better if he stayed there for a while, then we let Bash stay there for a while. Gonna be posting updates tomorrow if we are able to take him home or not. and about his situation too.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I know we are all pulling for little Bash and your family. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

He sounds like he is doing well and I can't believe how fast they actually recover from surgery. I think the further along he is in his healing of the infection/cause of his eye problem the easier time you and your family will have caring for him at home.

Hope you know how special you are, despite your limitations you stopped at nothing to get this baby the care he needed. You have a rescuer heart and we relate and love you for it! :hugs:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished reading this thread (fighting tears all the way through) and I am so proud of you taking a stand @Lorena Santiago  for the beautiful baby. I did look at the pictures because I have never seen or heard anything of this extent and I wanted to know what to look for incase I came upon this problem.

I am so glad that Bash is doing well and the vet wants to continue monitoring him just in case there are any other problems. You can rest assured that Bash will recover from this and be very thankful and loving for the kindness you have shown. You are a brave young lady and you will be very blessed for the actions you took for this precious baby.

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

UPDATE:

My cousin visited Bash again in the clinic with hopes of being able to take him home. However, the vet said it would be much better if he goes out tomorrow. Maybe they didn't see that much improvement on his condition. He still has dextrose connected to him and he wears a cone. Yes, he stills tries to remove them, the vet said we can cut it to reduce the size (just like what you guys told me), as long as he can eat and drink, it's fine. We just dont want him to reach his eye. He has two medicines, according to my cousin, which I dont know the names of, but I'll tell you the medicines when we get Bash tomorrow. Those are antibiotics, to avoid the eye from swelling and being infected. She said Bash plays with her but when they carry him, he doesn't like it and he tries to spring free from their hands. Im guessing he's still not feeling well. I dont want to meddle with the doctor's decision because she knows what's best for Bash. So when she said Bash will be better if he stayed there for a while, then we let Bash stay there for a while. Gonna be posting updates tomorrow if we are able to take him home or not. and about his situation too.
Believe me, I know all too well how you feel. You want to hold him and make him happy and it's so upsetting to see him wearing a cone or confined to a cage or in bandages. Please trust the vet. Bash has come through a lot already and if this is their recommendation they have their reasons. He's vulnerable right now and they must do everything possible to keep him well. The most loving thing you and your cousin and sister can do for him right now is make sure he has a complete recovery. I know it's agonizing right now but before you know it, this will be behind you and you'll have your sweet playful kitty back to normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorena santiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LATEST UPDATE:

BASH IS HOME!!!!! Although,Ican observe that he is not that much feeling well. Most of the time he loses his balance. He's not yet used to having only one eye, although he never showed signs of irritation from his stitches, he only hates his cone. He ate whiskas when he came home, but as of now, he doesn't want to eat. He has medicine which we will feed him, it's a syrup. His whiskers on the right side of his face have been cut and was shaven too. As you can see, he has a cotton ball on his feet, that was where the dextrose was connected. Can I remove it already? Btw, it was also shaven, his limb. The cone is adjustable, as you can see, the blue part in his neck, it can be pulled upward to cover most of his face but it can also be folded to be shorter. We remove it when he eats and drinks. But he hasn't drink yet. He urinated after he ate. He is so irritated about his cone. He tried removing it. And I can see he struggles walking because of it. The vet said we shouldn't remove the cone until the discharge are gone. We will come back after one week for check-up and after 1 month, they will remove the stitches. I dont know what to do about the cone, I think it makes him irritated and annoyed big time. Maybe it feels heavy on his head? These are the pictures:

P.S. HE'S STILL VERY CUTE. I LOVE BASH SO MUCH <3 <3 <3

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Glad to read Bash is back home!!!  I know you are so happy he is back and believe me, so is Bash!!   I know he is feeling very uncomfortable and is agitated about that darn cone, but you have to remember, that cone is there for a reason and the only way to make sure he does not cause more problems with his eye in the  healing process, that cone MUST stay on.  That cone is keeping Bash from ripping out the stitches and is keeping the affected eye clean.  The shape of the cone keeps that affected eye from touching any unclean surface.  We cannot tell animals not to lie on the floor on that side or do not touch the eye with unwashed paws.  Bash (and you) will get through this healing process and it is a process, will take a bit of time, but that eye getting infected or something happening to those stitches will only make things worse!  This healing time will pass quickly, I promise.  As far as the bandage or gizmo that the IV was attached to on Bash, I would just give the vet a call and ask if it is OK for you to remove it.   Again, congrats on your boy's homecoming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.