Need Feral Cat HELP

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot believe in a town the size of Corpus Christi that you can't find anyone to help you.  It just really speaks poorly of the human race that the only help we can give some poor cats is the gift of euthanasia.

PeeWee's has put in their mission statement that they will help any animal that is not adoptable in order to receive grant money and donations from trusting individuals.  Then, on the phone, they are telling you they don't accept black kittens?  I'm going to file a rip off report on PeeWee's.

Anyway, how is it going today, Kells321?  Any progress?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very true, this is sad. I think euthansia has a time and a place but for this, its not the time nor place. These cats are not suffering, they are just in need of help to be spayed/neutered and possibly for the kittens, adoption.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband actually caught one kitten last night with his hands (wearing gloves), but then he ended up letting it go. He was clearing out the rest of the rubble where they were born and would hide and one kitten was hiding under a tile. Poor thing was probably so scared. We were going to take it to my mother in laws, but she didn't have the cage set up yet. The cage was in her attic. I couldn't leave the kitten in a box all alone the whole night. He said later Jade came up to the box where he put the kitten. Then my husband said it looked like jade was trying to move the kittens. He saw her on the side of the house and he said she was hissing like crazy at him.

I think she moved them. I only saw jade once today and no kittens. Harry came by and I fed him.

Also, the lady I talked to from peewees wasn't very nice. She told me they didn't accept all black dogs either. She said because nobody will adopt them for a long time.

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't received an email back yet from guardians rescue.

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and I did call the Cattery (again) to see if they had some traps so I could have more than one to catch the kittens. I explained the situation again and now they told me there is a waiting list I could put the kittens on, but I have to catch them first.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, its a start. Are there any local Humane Societies or perhaps a pet store who might work with you about placing the kittens? Could their mother cat stay around your yard so long as she gets fixed and doesn't attack your dog?

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my husband caught a kitten yesterday. We took it to my mother in laws and we were going to keep it there until we caught the others. My mother in law text me this morning the kitten was gone. I'm extremely upset. We had it outside but it was enclosed with gates. She said it crawled out somehow. I went back and examined gate and there was a small opening. I made signs and took them to all surrounding neighbors about 20 houses and posted signs on mailboxes. I also took the have a heart trap over there and she put food in it. Hopefully, the kitten comes back. Any other suggestions?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm very sorry about that. I would like to ask, why was the kitten in this pen, outside the house? Was there no room inside the house? Possibly a spare bathroom or setup the pen in a bathroom or hallway? More than likely the cat put her head under it and then lifted it up and crawled out.

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mother in law did not want the kitten inside of her house. I think she was worried about fleas. We had weights on top, so I don't think it could have lifted the gate up. I went back to my mother in laws again around 6:30 tonight to drop off a cat bed I bought for Harry back in December. I thought maybe the kitten could find its way back by smelling something familiar. Well just as I was leaving I told my father in law to check under their patio furniture and the kitten darted across. It never left and was hiding under the patio furniture -- 5 feet from where the gate was located.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, hopefully you can catch the kitty once again. By any chance do you have a large plastic dog crate you can keep the kitten in once its caught? That will work better than this gate pen setup.

Last edited:

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. We caught the kitty again and released it back into my backyard. An hour later I saw the kitten with Harry and the mother. After that all the cats left. I didn't see them for weeks.

Well I noticed Harry came back alone about a week or so ago, so i made an appointment to get Harry fixed at the Cattery. Harry turned out to be a GIRL! Her surgery was yesterday. We trapped her Monday night around 8 pm and released her this Wednesday morning around 9:30 am. I heard stories about cats leaving for a few days after being in a cage that long. I went to my backyard around 11 am to see if she was there or if she had split. Well I was happy to see she was there, so I fed her. Well when I was sitting next to her when she was eating, I heard whimper noises from where she had been hiding. I went to check thinking the kittens were back. I was VERY surprised to find 3 new tiny kittens!!!!!! I called the Cattery immediately around 11 am and they have not called me back. Can Harry still produce milk since she was fixed? Also, shouldn't the vet have checked to see if her nipples were enlarged before performing the surgery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, my! Yes, the vet should have been well aware that she was a nursing mother and should have said something to you. And this also means the kittens were not fed from Monday night until today. Poor babies! Bet Harriet was frantic too!

And yes, Harriet will still be able to nurse. Can you put the tiny kittens on an old blanket in the crate so they are protected somewhat, and feed Harriet well several times a day so she can produce milk for her kittens?

And ARE her nipples engorged?

What are you asking the Cattery to do?

Last edited:

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm feeding her. I wanted to ask the Cattery why the vet performed the surgery and get advice on what I should do.

I have never picked up Harry. I only pet her by her ears, so I've never touched her belly. I wouldn't know if her nipples are engorged.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put the kittens in a lined box on your porch? If you see Harry nursing the kittens then you will know the kittens are being fed and that Harry is indeed the mom.

Let us know what the Cattery says, and thank you for feeding Harry.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sad to say it but once they are spayed, the milk supply dries up. I hope that harry or perhaps, harriet, can feed them for the mean time. I do think the Cattery should have told you she had recently had kittens or was a nursing cat.

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The girl from the Cattery told me there would be no way for the vet to tell she just had kittens. She told me to bring Harry back in tomorrow for a recheck on the stitches to make sure they are not ripped from nursing. I went to feed Harry last night and the kittens were gone!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet can tell. Sorry but that's a lame answer you were given. If she was lactating then she had kittens - period.

How old were the kittens? Harry probably moved them. Are Harry's mammary glands still filled with milk? As long as the kittens are nursing full-time Harry should continue producing milk, spayed or not.

Did Harry have internal or external stitches? If the incision appears to be healing fine, no redness, swelling, or discharge, it should be fine.

kells321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. Harry's kittens are still alive. She still produced milk after being spayed and away from her kittens for 36 hours when they were 2 weeks old (guessing). They came out of their hiding spot yesterday so I'm guessing they are about 4 weeks old now. They all seem to have blue eyes even the black kitten. I noticed something on one of the gray kittens tails. See photo. Does anyone know what this is? Also, the Cattery wanted me to bring Harry back in to get her stitches checked out, but she would never go back in the trap.