Need assistance with newborn kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her pooping will improve for sure when she begins solids. When do you plan to start?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she is 3 weeks and 4 days old right now she will be 4 weeks in a few days so probably then unless she can have it now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can certainly try mixing wet cat food with some formula to make a mush and see if she will eat it, or lick it from your finger even. If you want, you can syringe it into her mouth. She's getting there! :)

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me a can of soft cat food when he was here to try when she is old enough its for kittens who never got any milk from there mother

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That means it is chock full of good vitamins and minerals for kittens!

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was very constipated again to the point her tummy was pretty big so we had to do an enema got her all cleaned out so she feels better just don't understand what keeps constipating her. We stimulate her and we do tummy massages plus add olive oil to her milk we also get her out of her box between feedings and let her play as well as massage her tummy every feeding we keep her out for about an hour and let her exercise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard to know why some kitties get constipated like this. It could just be her system. It really should resolve once she starts on solids. Which brand of KMR are you using? You could try diluting her formula with more water and less powder. This will frequently help. Sounds like you are doing everything just right! :)

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was getting goat milk but since she was staying so constipated I decided to give kmr liquid a try but she still stayed very constipated so it may very well be her system which I really hope it is not cause I'd hate for her to live a life full of enemas. But all in all she is very happy she plays and snuggles none of my other cats will have anything to do with her which is very odd because they are normally very accepting of new cats

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's probably the KMR. Try diluting it with more water, plus the oil. It may help. Like I said, her system will regulate once she's on solids. She sounds really healthy otherwise! And getting close to trying solids! You've done a great job with her! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your other cats are jealous of the attention the baby gets! This should resolve over time too when she becomes more independent.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The solid food will help big time, believe me. I would recommend giving it to her now since she's pretty much old enough. Just a small amount with the KMR or goats milk in it. Make it like baby food consistency. She'll eat it right up after you give her a small amount in her mouth. After about 24 hrs she'll give you her biggest poo ever. :) She'll also be so much more active once she's gotten all that out of her. She might not poo for another 24 hrs or so after that, so don't be alarmed if that happens. After she's been on the solid food for a day she'll go to the bathroom 1-2 times a day. :DD

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is doing good not really taking to eating from a dish just yet so been thinning the cat food enough to go through a bottle still not pooping been going different home remedies none of them work really beginning to think something is wrong with her digestive system also she is now 4 weeks old and still not peeing on her own I still have to stimulate her for her to go my husband thinks she was premature and probably going to take her longer then normal full term kittens

Last edited by a moderator:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, god she's so cute!!! 8D Such a beauty, she is. I love that curious face.

She'll get how to eat eventually. It'll be a messy process, and she'll wear most of it at first. Give her a good week to get the food down. Just be persistent in giving her a bit before her bottles. :D

Mine is premature, about 3-5 days. He didn't starting going pee by himself until he was a day before 5 weeks. Then it took another 3-4 days after that for him to poo on his own. She'll get there. It'll just take some more time. When she starts to eat full solid meals she'll most likely be going on her own.

Do you have a name for her? I'm still trying to name mine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You just got fantastic, first-hand advice from another member who is raising an orphan. It doesn't get any better than that! :)

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, god she's so cute!!! 8D Such a beauty, she is. I love that curious face.

She'll get how to eat eventually. It'll be a messy process, and she'll wear most of it at first. Give her a good week to get the food down. Just be persistent in giving her a bit before her bottles. :D

Mine is premature, about 3-5 days. He didn't starting going pee by himself until he was a day before 5 weeks. Then it took another 3-4 days after that for him to poo on his own. She'll get there. It'll just take some more time. When she starts to eat full solid meals she'll most likely be going on her own.

Do you have a name for her? I'm still trying to name mine.
. We have been calling her Circles because the first couple of weeks all she would do was spin In circles while we held her she still does sometimes

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No but she has started to pee on her own

lolaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes a few times but we have to thin it out and give you it to her through her bottle because she won't eat from a dish we try every feeding