Need advice on taming a feral cat - please help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts, Shane, they're very appreciated.

JMJimmy, she tries to get out through my bedroom window. The same window she's been exiting through since I first started feeding about a year ago. When she fails, she starts wailing. She also starts wailing straight after eating.

I respond by talking to her in a soothing tone. It doesn't work.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts, Shane, they're very appreciated.

JMJimmy, she tries to get out through my bedroom window. The same window she's been exiting through since I first started feeding about a year ago. When she fails, she starts wailing. She also starts wailing straight after eating.

I respond by talking to her in a soothing tone. It doesn't work.
Ok, the window issue *might* be a really easy fix.  Before she starts acting up & getting interested in the window for the night - place some cardboard or anything you can fix in place to block her view.   If she can't see out, it may eliminate the trigger that starts the wailing.  You may even need to block her from jumping up on the ledge at night if she starts trying to claw at what you put in place.  Easiest way to accomplish this is to make a triangle out of the cardboard so it doubles as a sight block and can't be stood on.  It also allows you to place something heavy inside to keep it in place.

The things we do for our cats eh?

After eating is it something like this (*Warning, use earbuds cause this noise will drive her nuts, as I found out with a parade of kitties running down to locate the intruder): 
 - Does it last very long or is it 5-10 yowls and done?

- What does she get to eat that triggers the wailing? (is it everything or just a special meal?)

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much, JMJimmy

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by making a triangle from cardboard. The window is quite big, so it will take a lot of cardboard to completely block her view out. I suppose I could just pull down the blind and stop her getting onto the ledge. I've been leaving the blind up lately because she's been taking her frustration out on it.

As to the food, I give her shop-bought cat food. Occasionally I give her some chicken or ham.

I have noticed that she does most of her wailing in the middle of the night - between two and six a.m.

The wailing isn't quite the same in tone as the cat in the youtube video, although it can reach that  volume. Rainbow's wail can be very deep, something like a braying donkey (though not quite as loud).

Thanks again,

Ray

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that she wails continually. That is, she will wail 10-15 times, take a short break, and then start again.

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also say that she was quite active during daylight hours today. She spent a lot of time on the ledge looking at the birds outside, but didn't wail at them.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
During the day she'll be entertained by birds, shadows, any movement - it's great entertainment for them.  At night though is when most cats are active which means competition, males, hunting mice, etc.  That's what she knows and she can see it but can't get to it so she's venting all that energy/frustration/anxiety/etc by wailing.  By taking away the sight of it the hope is that she'll focus on what's in the room and not on what she can't get to.

The entire window doesn't need to be blocked, just the bottom so she'd have to stand on something to see out.  They can see through blinds so they aren't a great option.  Cardboard is just something cheap that came to mind to act as a sight blocker - if you were staying in this place there's rub on sight blockers that allow light through but prevent cats from seeing anything.

Some other techniques you can try:  play with her using the toy around 1 1/2 hours before your bedtime.  Get her revved up and panting, give her a short break, then when she's ready again, get her panting again.  Do this 2-4 times (the more the better) to wear her out.  Then give her the last meal of the day and off to bed.  It simulates the act of hunting then eating which is then followed by grooming and sleep.  It won't get her through the entire night but it might help.

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks JM Jimmy. I'll see if there's any way I can maybe tape the cardboard in place at the window. Perhaps I could just keep her off the ledge? I've seen footage on youbube of people placing a sticky substance on surfaces they don't want cats walking on. I forget what it's called, but comes in a roll, is transparent, and is used to cover books, etc. Do you think that would do the trick?

Ray

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks JM Jimmy. I'll see if there's any way I can maybe tape the cardboard in place at the window. Perhaps I could just keep her off the ledge? I've seen footage on youbube of people placing a sticky substance on surfaces they don't want cats walking on. I forget what it's called, but comes in a roll, is transparent, and is used to cover books, etc. Do you think that would do the trick?

Ray
Personally I'm not a fan of the sticky concept.  It's nice and simple in theory but it comes with a couple problems.  It will likely add to the frustration level of the cat instead of reduce it.  There's the issue of glue transfer which the cat then licks off and ingests.  Then there's keeping it clean... nothing like a sticky surface to attract all kinds of gross. :)  Nothing horribly bad about the idea, just not a personal fan of it.

The cardboard or something similar is intended to block her view outside and make her think that the exit she used to use is blocked or just no longer there. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am wondering about something.  Could there be another cat outside?  Perhaps someone she used to hang with?

There are a couple of "neighborhood" cats here (they are owned but allowed outside).  I can always tell when they are outside - our cats go bonkers, running from window to window, fussing at one another and generally being distressed.

You might want to check into this, too.

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks JMJimmy, I'll use the cardboard instead in that case. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again

Ray

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I missed your post Ondine.

Yes, when she first appeared she was always with a tom-cat. She seemed to like him, but he would always take her food.

I sometimes see him around.

There is also a very large cat in the neighbourhood. She's a domestic cat, and she sees the backyard as her territory. She actually came to the window the other night and started growling at Rainbow through the glass. 

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ondine.

I got all the materials I need to cover the window today. However, she was MUCH quieter last night. I'm going to see how she is tonight.  If things don't well tonight, I'll cover the windows tomorrow. Fingers crossed she's moving past the wailing.

Ray

jhouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone may have mentioned this already but the "fist of friendship" and slow blinking are both good ways to interact. Just hold your fist out and allow the cat to come up to it and rub against (like against another cat's head).

For slow blinking, when she looks at you, close your eyes for a second and open again, a way to tell her there is no threat here. 

My cat blinks my husband a lot, it's one of the primary ways they interact. 

From the cat's point of view, it's all about avoiding danger and surviving in an unsure world. The more you look at it from their point of view, the more their actions make sense. 

This is funny and pretty embarrassing, but here's a post I made in 2013  on this forum,  back when Shadow (cat in the video that shakes paw now) was still wild. I was afraid of her, but she was just terrified, poor thing, and trying to tell me to stay away.  Now I can't get her off of my lap. :)

<< My husband and I had a female -- probably feral -- living in our garage with 3 kittens, about 5-6 weeks old. We trapped the kittens and a friend is socializing them, that's going pretty well.

we also trapped the female with the intent to spay and release her, and she seemed fairly quiet so we thought perhaps she was a stray, not feral. We kept her in a dog crate for a day or two after, I reached in to change her food and water, she hunkered down against the far side of the cage but didn't hiss or act aggressively.

We put her in a spare room and let her out of the cage -- it's been 4 days since the spay. She stayed hidden in a corner most of the time, but last night she remained in sight, about 15 feet away, and hissed and growled when I went in to leave her some food. Today, she was in the the same place, in plain sight, and while she didn't hiss or growl, she meowed and made direct eye contact as I placed some food on the floor.

I think we may have gotten in over our heads with this, I'm beginning to think she's really feral and she may be aggressive. Perhaps releasing her would be the best option? We don't have experience with ferals, and I don't want to get injured. I don't feel safe or comfortable going into the room with her not "backing down", to be honest. >>

I'm hoping all these nice folks chiming in give you hope that patience and understanding can make amazing things happen with these cats!

Jan H. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Someone may have mentioned this already but the "fist of friendship" and slow blinking are both good ways to interact. Just hold your fist out and allow the cat to come up to it and rub against (like against another cat's head).

For slow blinking, when she looks at you, close your eyes for a second and open again, a way to tell her there is no threat here. 

My cat blinks my husband a lot, it's one of the primary ways they interact. 

From the cat's point of view, it's all about avoiding danger and surviving in an unsure world. The more you look at it from their point of view, the more their actions make sense. 

This is funny and pretty embarrassing, but here's a post I made in 2013  on this forum,  back when Shadow (cat in the video that shakes paw now) was still wild. I was afraid of her, but she was just terrified, poor thing, and trying to tell me to stay away.  Now I can't get her off of my lap. :)

<< My husband and I had a female -- probably feral -- living in our garage with 3 kittens, about 5-6 weeks old. We trapped the kittens and a friend is socializing them, that's going pretty well.

we also trapped the female with the intent to spay and release her, and she seemed fairly quiet so we thought perhaps she was a stray, not feral. We kept her in a dog crate for a day or two after, I reached in to change her food and water, she hunkered down against the far side of the cage but didn't hiss or act aggressively.

We put her in a spare room and let her out of the cage -- it's been 4 days since the spay. She stayed hidden in a corner most of the time, but last night she remained in sight, about 15 feet away, and hissed and growled when I went in to leave her some food. Today, she was in the the same place, in plain sight, and while she didn't hiss or growl, she meowed and made direct eye contact as I placed some food on the floor.

I think we may have gotten in over our heads with this, I'm beginning to think she's really feral and she may be aggressive. Perhaps releasing her would be the best option? We don't have experience with ferals, and I don't want to get injured. I don't feel safe or comfortable going into the room with her not "backing down", to be honest. >>

I'm hoping all these nice folks chiming in give you hope that patience and understanding can make amazing things happen with these cats!

Jan H. 
She's scared and trying to let you know  she's in charge.  I would not worry about being hurt - chances are she would not attack you unless you really got into her space.

Just go in every day, act as if this is the most normal thing in the world and keep her routine.  Talk in a high voice will help - baby talk.  (Cats actually hear the higher octaves better).  

If you can, get down on her level.  Really, I would just act as if all's well - this is nothing to be worried about.  She will pick up on your feelings.

jhouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Ondine -- lol, the quoted part in the above post is  from a post I made in 2013 about my previous feral Shadow -- she's a very sweet kitty now, tame for me but shy with everyone else. I posted a video of her earlier in this thread, hoping to show the progress that can be made with ferals or strays-gone-wild as she was. 

When we first brought her inside in 2013 after trapping and spaying, she thought she had to fight for her life poor baby. Turns out she has a very sweet, timid nature. 

I thought perhaps including that long ago post (and how I misread my feral cat) might provide some insight as to how ferals are survival oriented and that kind of thing -- sorry for any confusion! 

Wish I'd had your advice in 2013, it's very good advice! :)

raywalsh22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much JHouse. I love to read about other's experiences - they're really encouraging.

I've been trying the fist of friendship, but no luck so far.

Thanks again

Ray

jhouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ondine, I used to be a "dog" person until Shadow the Cat. So I learned from her, that's the only experience I've got. 

The number one lesson I learned from her (and sorry the fist of friendship isn't working yet Raywalsh) -- is, Shadow does things only when she's ready and figured it out in her mind, very un-dog like. As someone else here said, patience is key. :)