Need advice--is my cat just evil embodied? Or am I overreacting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise

im sure there are people here a lot more knowledgeable, and have probably been through more than i can even imagine.

but i just wanted to put my two cents.

i brought in an outdoor cat last year, and for months she DETESTED my brothers dog. i had to keep her locked in my moms room, and only let her out once the dog would go out to pee (he is mostly indoors). She got along well with my resident cat, Kitty. But Tommy remembered Elsa as the cat he would chase around outside. He did not forget this, and would look at her like a pork chop. He loves my other cat, Kitty, but hates other cats, and has even attacked some. 

after a couple of months, i started doing supervised visits, she would hiss, and he would howl and act crazy. the only thing that worked was becoming the louder voice between them. whenever they wanted to throw a hissy fit i used my latina gifted voice and scream until they stop. whoever gave the attitude first was yelled at, and they learned the behavior was not going to be accepted. it took awhile until i trusted them alone. months before the hissing completely went away.  but they now get along, elsa even pets tommy, and he just leaves her be.

sometimes you have to let the pets work things out (while being supervised). i know my advice wont work for everyone, but i truly think, things would have taken longer had i continued to baby them both and hope they would eventually get along. 
My problem is Wurp is deaf.  Loud noises don't distract him and only further terrify Shortstack (he is a big scaredy-cat in the literal sense).  When fur flies, the only option I have is to jump in and separate.  Luckily, I can pick Wurp up no problem even when he is in attack mode and he immediately stops.  Shortstack will do the misdirected aggression, so I usually just let him flee to his safe spot when I have to intervene.  I've had to take it very slow with Wurp due to the hearing issues.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, another update.  Another failed attempt
   Tonight I let Shortstack out of "his" room, and Wurp was already out.  Wurp had already eaten his dinner for the evening, usually that puts him in a good mood.  I let them sniff each other, and I don't know if Wurp was just in a bad mood or what, but he immediately starting circling Shortstack with that "look"...that weird posture I posted in the above pic.  The yowls started, and I just backed off around the corner into the kitchen (peeking around the door facing).  Shortstack immediately went submissive, and allowed Wurp to sniff his back, his tail, everything.  Then out of the blue, Wurp swatted his butt and it was ON.  They had a short slapping, growling, yowling episode...I mean mild (you know how they look and sound worse than they are sometimes) but no fur even flew from either of them.  Then Shortstack huddled, Wurp sat down.  Just sat down.  I thought "okay, they got it out of their system".  I just observed, they really couldn't see me, either of them, although I was only a few feet from them.  Wurp sat there for a few minutes, then got up and started doing it all again yowling.   He then smacked Shortstack upside his head, they slap-slap-slapped each other making those horrible sounds again (I try to ignore the sounds), but no real damage done to either of them.  But...Shortstack had enough, and off down the hall he went scurrying, with Wurp chasing after him.  He was going for the office, which has one of his safe hiding spots.  For some reason, Stack stopped short of the office and hunkered down, and Wurp jumped him.  They smacked each other around again and Wurp stopped.  I think he got his mouth hurt.  He sat pawing at his face and licking, sticking his tongue out REALLY far over and over, like he got something hung in his teeth eating or something.  That was when I intervened, and as I was walking towards him, Wurp actually walked off going towards our bedroom "his room".  I picked him up and carried him to our room and shut the door, turned on the overhead and looked to see if he was injured.  I actually scruffed him and opened his mouth but didn't see anything unusual, nothing reddened or bleeding.  But he still kept doing that thing, sticking his tongue out really, really far, over and over like a dog with peanut butter.  He washed one paw, drank some water, and I left him to go check on Stack.  On my way to him I noticed no fur clumps had been pulled out or anything, and Stack motioned for me to pick him up (he puts his paws on my legs like a dog when he wants picked up), and he started purring.

Did I do right?  Or wrong in letting it go so far?  Wurp actually walked away from the fight...that was one thing that made me scared he was hurt, but he isn't.  Maybe his ego.  I checked him good.  Stack was fine too.  Should I wait a few days and give it another shot??  Or separate totally again for a couple of weeks?

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
And....do ALL cats make those sounds like the demons from hell when they skirmish?  I know I've seen Wurp before...when he was an outdoor kitty...fight other cats and run them off our property and he sounded like a hound from hell....but do they do that when they are just telling each other off too??  I mean not when they mean business....just communicating?  Or does it automatically mean bad, bad things are about to happen?

I try to ignore the sounds, like I said above, but Wurp yowls like a demon and Stack growls really, really loud and low.  It sounds like somebody is about to be killed.  I'm surprised our neighbors don't report that I'm killing something over here, and they live across an acre from me!!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From my honest opinion you did right...Wurp might have gotten a tiny scratch who knows if you didn't see any scratches...I think it was good you let them have it out...yes most cats sound like that in some form or another...they do need to get their order ranking whatever one wants to call it established....if I could recommend one thing is for you to relax a little (they really do pick up on our nerves) you are doing a wonderful job and it takes time...several folks have mentioned that to you...I say this from a very loving position as I've been in your spot...oh I don't remember if I've told you one of the things we did is pray over them...and we continue to pray over our babies especially if we can feel the tension between them...and of course I've learned their little behaviors before they have it out...I've also learned the looks too...one thing since we've come back from our 2 day holiday excursion...Prince has taken to being a bit of a bully...my point is patience and time...it is what it is when we join kitties...I am praying for you 3 meow [emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the prayers! I do my best to not let them know I'm worried. My hubby is better than me,Wurp has had some health issues so I'm a bit of a worrier about him. And Stack is such a baby. Lol I feel like I'm running a daycare. It was literally just a slap-fest, no more, but WOW they sound so crazy!!!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the prayers! I do my best to not let them know I'm worried. My hubby is better than me,Wurp has had some health issues so I'm a bit of a worrier about him. And Stack is such a baby. Lol I feel like I'm running a daycare. It was literally just a slap-fest, no more, but WOW they sound so crazy!!!
cats are really good at picking up emotions, we can be outwardly calm, but if we are feeling scared, or angry, they can tell. they are even able to tell when you are sick, before you can.

try your best to take big breaths, and remind yourself that you can do this. =)

they make those loud noises when they are truly angry. A hiss is a warning, once they start making those loud noises, with blood and fur flying, thats when they are angry. playful fighting is mostly quiet.

this thread has info on cats fighting 

everyone has their own opinion, personally i think it shouldnt get that far, and would separate them and reintroduce. i do think cats need to work things out sometimes, as i've done this with a lot of my pets. but when someone is injured, thats when i give them a break from each other, and try to introduce again.

if it was me, i would start over and reintroduce, feed them through the gate, and eventually try to have them in the same room, while distracting both with a toy.

the show "my cat from hell" has awesome info on getting cats to get along.

dont give up, keep going, i can tell you care and want this to work. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

both are great resources.

this guy is awesome. he is from the show i mentioned

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to clarify on our behalf when we let Duchess and Prince have it out we actually supervise...the minute we see fur flying we intervene...you know I too was worried when we left them alone for 2 days...my husband pointed out I can either trust God or worry...and you know I totally expected to see fur all over the place when I got home...specifically because when our babies have it out Prince is so furry we know when the fur is flying...and you know what...no fur at all!!!

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
i love Jackson Galaxy! Thanks so much for the link on the fighting. I'd say their actions aren't so much "I'm gonna kill you!" anymore. Wurp wanted to murder Stack in February when we brought him in, now it's more "I'm the boss, don't you forget it". No fur flew, and I really don't think claws were even out today. But I think Stack smacked him a good one. It's the first time I've seen Wurp walk away. I'm going to give them about two weeks I think and try again. They do see each other through the gates all the time. I guess at this point I'm more nervous than they are. Those noises! Whew! Wurp is very loud anyway, I think because he's deaf he screams everything, and Stack does a low growl, like moow-moow-moow in a growley voice. They never hissed, I don't think they've done that but once. Just the growley thing and Wurp screeching like a banshee.

It's so hard to stay calm. Wurp reads me like a book too...we know each other very well, so I'm sure he knows I'm anxious. It's so hard!

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, @imjustacatmom I know the fur thing! Wurp is hugely fluffy, and his fur comes out in fluffs if claws are involved. Stack is short-haired and his fur comes out 24/7, but when Wurp has gotten him in the past it looked like plugs came out. There wasn't any flying this time. It literally was slappity-slappity-slap. Boy, those paws were flying and both of them sitting up on their butts!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love Jackson Galaxy! Thanks so much for the link on the fighting. I'd say their actions aren't so much "I'm gonna kill you!" anymore. Wurp wanted to murder Stack in February when we brought him in, now it's more "I'm the boss, don't you forget it". No fur flew, and I really don't think claws were even out today. But I think Stack smacked him a good one. It's the first time I've seen Wurp walk away. I'm going to give them about two weeks I think and try again. They do see each other through the gates all the time. I guess at this point I'm more nervous than they are. Those noises! Whew! Wurp is very loud anyway, I think because he's deaf he screams everything, and Stack does a low growl, like moow-moow-moow in a growley voice. They never hissed, I don't think they've done that but once. Just the growley thing and Wurp screeching like a banshee.

It's so hard to stay calm. Wurp reads me like a book too...we know each other very well, so I'm sure he knows I'm anxious. It's so hard!
lol sounds like two alpha cats wanting to be the boss. im glad things have at least been improving. sometimes these things take time, and thats okay.

so long as theres no damage, perhaps they are just play fighting. next time they fight, check to see if any of them exposes their belly, or walks away without looking back. these are signs of trust. if they blink at each other, this is also a sign of being calm and trusting. having their ears back and their tails puffy is a sign of fear and aggression.

i think the noise you describe is what would get to me more than the fighting. lol 

edit: a play fight can seem aggressive, when its really not. my two girls love each other. but they love to wrestle. things can be calm when randomly elsa comes flying from the corner and starts slapping kitty. kitty then grabs her with her paws slams her down and kciks her face. lol then they'll walk away like nothing happened.

Last edited:

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
The noise is insane. I swear Wurp being deaf he is louder than any cat I've ever heard! He never ever was loud until his hearing went. And Stack shows Wurp his belly all the time. He usually lies down and rolls over when Wurp approaches, then goes into the "loaf" position when he starts yowling. I didn't know what that meant in cat language. Stack is very submissive to Wurp, and chatters at him all the time, but of course my old dude can't hear him. Stack would love to be friends. Wurp is the butt!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The noise is insane. I swear Wurp being deaf he is louder than any cat I've ever heard! He never ever was loud until his hearing went. And Stack shows Wurp his belly all the time. He usually lies down and rolls over when Wurp approaches, then goes into the "loaf" position when he starts yowling. I didn't know what that meant in cat language. Stack is very submissive to Wurp, and chatters at him all the time, but of course my old dude can't hear him. Stack would love to be friends. Wurp is the butt!
i think he'll come around eventually. my brothers dog wanted to eat our new cat elsa for months. now he just ignores her. they get over things eventually. lol

something i've seen jackson mention is to have escape routes for shy cats. like shelving on the walls, so if they are chased, they have somewhere high to get away. a cat superhighway. =)

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
That would be Wurp....he is what he calls on his show a "tree dweller". Shortstack is more a bush-dweller, he hides under things!

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@terestrife   I need all the help I can get.  I have just been flying blind.  But like I said earlier, I'm willing to keep them separated forever if need be.  It's really not the hardship I thought it was going to be.  They both are quite happy with the house-swapping.  That worried me for a long time, but both seem to really enjoy their own comfort zone and their own private time.  I would just love for us all to enjoy the house at the same time.  I am still keeping my expectations low, and will be happy if they can just co-exist even without becoming buddies.  That is really my ultimate goal....for them to just share space and for Wurp to not attack.  5 months have flown by really.

Wurp rules the house at night, and Shortstack in the daytime, as Wurp is a day sleeper and Stack is a night sleeper.  We do our best to give them both equal time with us too, although honestly, Wurp is not a social cat.  He loves me and will allow me to do anything with him if I need to, but usually he is a cat that doesn't want to be picked up, held, or petted unless he comes specifically to you for attention.  He comes and jumps in hubby's lap to be brushed nightly, but when he's done, he is done, he gets down and goes off to do his own thing.  I, of course, pick him up constantly--to his dismay, but I can't help loving on him!  He "visits" with us in the kitchen and living room for maybe a grand total of 30 minutes a day, then he does his own thing--patrolling window to window, plundering through my cabinets, and napping in various places.  He's never been a "people" cat, although he makes it clear he does love his peeps.  He visits with us while we eat dinner (he gets tiny bites of meat), then naps a bit, and wakes up about an hour before we go to bed. He follows us to bed (he demands we go to bed at a certain time!) gets on the bed to tuck us in (translate=he walks all over me stomping my liver out), then he gets down to go do important "cat business".  He returns to the bedroom about 2am and sleeps on my hubby's feet until about 4 or 5am, and he is waiting in the kitchen when I get up at 5.  He eats, and he is ready to go to bed for the day.  I am sure he gets up and looks out the window (we leave a blind up for him and his perch is in front of the bedroom window), he eats, and generally sleeps the entire day, and we begin all over about 2 hours after I get home.

Shortstack is let out of his room after Wurp goes to bed in the mornings, usually right before we leave for work.  He eats, we visit with him, and we go off to work.  I leave his toys strewn around the house, and he plays, because when I get home they are always in odd places.  I get home and unless something is pressing, I spend about an hour just sitting holding him in my lap, winding down from my day, or we play with his wand toys.  Hubby gets home late, so I don't start dinner until late, so that is mine and Stack's snuggle time.  He is a snuggler and would be happy if I had him strapped to me 24/7.  He stays out while I am preparing dinner, then I get his room ready and he goes to bed for the night and Wurp comes out.  Stack has definitely made that room his...when he is startled by something he goes for his room. Often I find him having wandered back there during the day if I am home, he goes back to his room to nap sometimes.  We hear him sometimes as we are going to bed squeaking his toys...I swear he is like a toddler!  Sometimes he gives us the pouty face when we put him to bed, but not often, because that is when he gets his dinner.  Hubby gets up often during the night, and he said he has seen him playing in his room during the night sometimes.

That's our routine.  I sometimes wonder if I am cheating both of them, but then they both seem content.  Stack usually doesn't meow to want out of his room while he is in there, he only did that the first few nights he lived inside.  Wurp doesn't care when he is in his room, he never really acts like he wants out until dinnertime--then he will do his screeching howl-yowl to remind me it's shift change!!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha haha shift change lolol love thst too funny I'm crackin up over here...[emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Haha haha shift change lolol love thst too funny I'm crackin up over here...[emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]
We call it shift change at the prison (because they are behind the 3 stacked up baby gates.  Wurp will go to the gates when Stack is up at night and if he can't see him he starts howling for him.  Once he comes around the corner where he can see him, he will walk off...just doing a bed check on the cell block!!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wurp is so handsome! Haha and you guys are the wardens lolol snort BWAHAH! I am laughing so hardas iI've got the best movie going on in my head concering your cats and the prison yard lololol

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I love my furry butthead.  I can hear that old song "30 days in the hole" playing most days!!!  I imagine Wurp sings that.......the song of his people!