Need advice about 4 week orphans

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a first time "orphaned kitty mom" and I am seeking any advice people are willing to give. I have been bottle feeding the 2 babies for the past week but they spent some time being bottle fed by a different person for the week prior to that. Originally there were 6 in the litter but then the mother got killed and 4 of the kitties died while under the care of the previous feeder.

I had been feeding KMR liquid in a can but then late last week they developed diarrhea so I began mixing the formula with pedialyte and then Sunday I started adding a tiny bit of pumpkin to try to help. The kitties will also drink straight pedialyte from a bottle so I have been supplementing with that especially if I do a tent test and think they appear a bit dehydrated. I took them to a vet a week ago when I first got them but he was a complete jerk And basically told me if they got diarrhea they would die and there would be nothing he could do.

I am so confused on what to do.... I am fearful over feeding cause the diarrhea initially but now it is yellow liquid with some clear mucus. The kittens are eating and drinking really well, they are even started to sleep most of the night and play between meals. If it wasn't for the poop I would feel really optimistic right now. I can tell sometimes after they eat their bellies feel like they have like gas or some bloat, above and beyond the normal bloat they should have taking in to account how much they have eaten.

I will do ANYTHING to help these kitties survive so any and all advice is welcome!

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are four weeks old, correct? The change in diet (more pedialyte) could be causing the strange poo. Changes in diet really can make a hue difference. When my bottle babies got their first dose of dewormer one of them was screaming and goog potty but it was (warning-gross) black and it was coming out in thin lines all over the place. It was also right around the time I had been mixing in some soft food. I took her to the vet and they said it was probably the dewormer and/or change in diet. As long as they are eating, drinking, and playing I wouldn't be too concerned. Have you been burping them after meals?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing a great job caring for these kittens.

In our experience, we have found that pre-mixed KMR causes diarrhea. We generally recommend the powdered KMR by PetAg that you mix yourself. It's found at pet stores and some Walmarts. You can even mix the powder with clear pedialyte instead of water. So you may want to switch.

Also, goat's milk is excellent for kittens. My pet store sells it fresh frozen.

If the diarrhea continues they may need an antibiotic for infection and/or worming, but you might want to go to a new vet since you were not happy with their previous treatment.

You will also find their poop becomes more solid when you begin weaning with mush, which is canned wet pate-style cat food mixed with KMR. At that point you'll also be introducing the litter box.

Give the powdered formula a try and let us know how they do :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the responses! They are four weeks but a bit undersized. I have been burping them after every meal and sometimes if they feel bloated I have been trying to give them a little cotton ball belly rub to help move the gas. I will go get powdered KMR and start that tomorrow! Thank you again so much. I will certainly keep you updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try a couple of drops of baby simethicone in their formula for bloating and gas.

Let us know how they like it tomorrow and if their diarrhea improves :).

Last edited:

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to speak too soon but the first feeding with the powdered KMR and simethicone went WONDERFUL! The feeding time was significantly shorter and the bloating/gas was completely eliminated. I mixed the KMR with pedialyte and added two drops of simethicone to the bottle with 30mL formula. I meant to only add one drop of the simethicone but two came out so I hope I didn't overdue it.
I really hope the kitties continue to do well with this new formula! Overnight the runt's poop changed from yellowish to a darker brown seemingly out of nowhere but then this morning it was back to it's "normal" yellowish color. Hopefully after a few days I can get them back to solid poop! Thank you again for all your help and I will certainly continue to update you guys!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is good news! Two drops of simethicone are fine - no worries.

Their poop should be a toothpaste-like consistency while they are on KMR. Let us know if the diarrhea continues.

I'm glad they like it! Most kittens do. Remember to up the amount of formula that you feed as they gain weight.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's awesome! Thanks so much for the update! Fingers crossed everything continues going well!

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a few more quick questions... Sometimes when I feed the kittens they seem to suck and suck without getting anywhere. I feel like I have a big X cut in the nipple but the feeding times have been ridiculously long which I don't mind during the day but at night it is hard to be up nearly 2 hours just to get them 10 mL each. Should I attempt to cut a larger hole or is this normal? Also- the orange cat (Milo) has had more normal brown poop tonight after starting the powdered KMR with pedialyte this morning but the runt ( Agatha) has had an odd yellow poop that appeared to have faint dark streaks in it? I am also getting worried that she is not putting on weight as well as Milo. I am happy to take them to the vet if necessary. Thank you all again for your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, cut a bigger hole in the nipple. Bottle feeding at their age should go much more quickly. You are feeding in the tummy down, head up position, right?

And yes, the second baby needs to see a vet. The baby probably has either worms or a bacterial infection and needs treatment asap. The poop is not normal, and the kitten should be putting on weight.

Can you get them in today?

I'd take both in, however, as both should be treated. Ask if they have experience with young kittens. They are too young for any vaccinations yet.

Also, how much does each kitten weigh? I want to check the amount you are feeding.

Last edited:

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can get them in tomorrow at 10:30 at a small pet vet clinic or 2:40 at a specific cat clinic.... So I made an appointment for both and then thought I would ask you all who I should go to. The small pet clinic said they would be able to deworm regardless of the kittens size and the cat clinic just said they would have to do an exam first and then we could talk about treatment options. Apparently all the vet clinics close at noon on Wednesday where I am from. I have no idea how much the kittens weigh. I attempted to weigh them on an old kitchen scale but it was partially broke so I could not get an accurate weight. Last week at the vet they did not weigh them so I have been trying to feed them basically as much as they will eat. It currently ends up being between 90mL and 120 mL per day ( for both of them combined). The biggest a issue is the feeding times have been so long and I feel like they weren't very productive. When they wake up they act hungry and the suck hard so I basically let them eat until they fall asleep again but that is only approx. 20mL combined. They continue to be active and playful when they are awake but i feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster! One minute I am relieved and feel like they are going to make it and then the next I get worried that I am not feeding them enough/doing something wrong.

I feed them belly down with the bottle tilted up. I watched a youtube video when I first got them so I feel confident the positioning is right. This morning I noticed some small powdered clumps in the bottle from my KMR mixture. I thought I had mixed it up really well so does anyone have any idea how to remedy that?

Last question- after my last vet experience I want to go in prepared tomorrow. Are there specific things I should ask the vet to check for?

Thanks again! I apologize for being so high maintenance....I feel like these kittens are my real children and since I spend all
Day everyday with them I have become quite attached.

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I attached photos to give you an idea of their size.... Of course they were wanting to chase each other so that's why the picture quality is so poor.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually mix small amounts of kmr in a bowl and use a spoon to crush the clumps then I put it in a small container and vigorously shake it. It takes longer when you mix smaller amounts but I've found that it really helps with the clumps. Kmr is 2 parts water to 1 part powder right? (I forget since I've used another type that was 1:1). If it is 2:1 I put one scoop water and one scoop powder so it's thick and I crush all the lumps then add the second scoopful of water and mix it well and shake it. I hope that makes sense:p

mbandow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should mention Agatha (the black kitty) has been significantly smaller then the rest of the litter since birth.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are really cute.  I like the idea of the vet appt where they will spend time and talk to you.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are adorable! It's pretty normal for one to be significantly smaller than the others. This is my current group. They're 3 weeks old now but in the pic they were a few days. The boy was/is much smaller than the girl but he's happy and healthy:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both kittens need worming. Bringing a poop sample in a baggie from the kitten with diarrhea will help the vet determine a course of treatment. I'm guessing antibiotics in addition to worm meds.

You should see whomever you feel most comfortable with, and who has experience with tiny kittens.

At four weeks, they should ideally weigh one pound. I doubt they do, but based on this desired weight, they should be getting twice what you are giving them. So each kitten should be getting around 20 mL of formula at each feeding four hours apart six times a day. Have you tried making the nipple hole bigger yet?

I use a tiny wire whisk to get the lumps out of the KMR.