Nearing The End... Go Out With A Bang?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, but I'm thinking she will be checking on her regularly. Your other cats will too.

Once one of mine came rushing up stairs and woke me. He was frantic. I got up and followed him downstairs. He took me to our oldest cat. They didn't like each other. But the old lady was having trouble breathing. She'd lost all but one of her teeth, just one fang left and it was bad, but the vet wouldn't remove it. I was certain at her age, 17 it was too much. The old lady looked at me and laid her head back down. I lay down beside her, napping on and off for the rest of the night.

Just as dawn arrived, the old lady reared up, sneezed and sent the bad fang flying. She shook her head and was fine. She lived another two years. I know this won't happen for you, but in her case was what happened.

The point is the cat who didn't like her came to get me because something was wrong with her. Your cat will not be alone. The other cats will be watching and will get your wife if need be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, but I'm thinking she will be checking on her regularly. Your other cats will too.

Once one of mine came rushing up stairs and woke me. He was frantic. I got up and followed him downstairs. He took me to our oldest cat. They didn't like each other. But the old lady was having trouble breathing. She'd lost all but one of her teeth, just one fang left and it was bad, but the vet wouldn't remove it. I was certain at her age, 17 it was too much. The old lady looked at me and laid her head back down. I lay down beside her, napping on and off for the rest of the night.

Just as dawn arrived, the old lady reared up, sneezed and sent the bad fang flying. She shook her head and was fine. She lived another two years. I know this won't happen for you, but in her case was what happened.

The point is the cat who didn't like her came to get me because something was wrong with her. Your cat will not be alone. The other cats will be watching and will get your wife if need be.
Thank you for the reassurance, that story was sweet. Did you end up finding/keeping the fang?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't look for the fang. I never thought of that. I doubt I would have if I'd thought of it. It had caused her so much pain and almost killed her. This was before there were any pain meds for cats except the heavy ones, which the vet didn't want to give her. I've lost bad teeth and the relief is almost immediate. You could see it in her face.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Being back at work sucks....

bright side is I found my old iPhone and set-up Facetime so I am watching her from my office as I type this. I feel like a creeper spying on her.... :p

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually want to get one of those pet cameras for my bedroom and living room. I'd love to spy on them! Lol.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually want to get one of those pet cameras for my bedroom and living room. I'd love to spy on them! Lol.
I don't have any specific recommendations, but with Facetime there's 2 way audio/video, so I am making sounds and she hears them and looks at the camera :catrub:

The one downside is, I have to have my wife 'answer' the phone... so if she wasn't there I could start it before I leave for work, but somewhere I read that the connection stays open for a max of 3 hours (not confirmed).

I need to teach my kitties to swipe answer :p.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are home security systems that have an two-way audio function, as well. Not sure how expensive they are, though.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My surveillance cameras have two-way audio, can be accessed by a PC, a smartphone or a tablet. They have a motion detection feature and a memory card so they record even when you aren't watching. They can take photos and send them to your email address, and so on. They're also wired and Wi-Fi, so you can choose what suits you best.
For $100.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
My surveillance cameras have two-way audio, can be accessed by a PC, a smartphone or a tablet. They have a motion detection feature and a memory card so they record even when you aren't watching. They can take photos and send them to your email address, and so on. They're also wired and Wi-Fi, so you can choose what suits you best.
For $100.
May I have the brand/model please?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Foscam R2

Edit: it seems you can have it cheaper in US, good for you!
Lol not when you’re in Canada like me, there’s a $40 price difference.

I will definitely be picking this up though, thanks for the suggestion!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
FelisCatus FelisCatus , how's your little Warrior Princess doing? Haven't heard from you here on this thread for several days, so hoping all is as well as can be expected :crossfingers:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am sad to say we had to put her to sleep today.

She fought very hard for me for 2 months but today was the time that many of you mentioned. She stopped eating yesterday and the look in her eyes said she is tired.

With her goes another piece of my already shattered heart.

I am back to the way I was where I don’t want to interact with my other cats for fear of losing them too. The one who has supported me for 2 months is clawing at my door and meowing to come in. I did show all of my other kitties the sick kitty that she is leaving so he knows.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice thus far.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry for your loss, though it was expected... the pain isn't lighter when you know it's coming.
You did the best for her, do not regret anything you did or you didn't.

And please, don't shut the other cats out, they need you now, they are suffering like you are, they need comfort like you do.
This heavy burden has be to carried by all of you, not by you only.

RIP, sweet warrior, you won't be forgotten :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sweet girl would never want to bring such pain to the one she loves so much. Live your life as you would have wanted her to live if you were the first to go. Because it will bring her peace, because you have a choice, because her love will guide you.....
The bond you built over the years can never be taken from you, it is a part of your very soul and will forever be connected by love. Love is spiritual, so eternal, "death cannot take that which never dies" and your love for each other never will. She will be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send her thoughts of love and the joy of living, because she lives on through you now and needs more than tears and grief.
Do not let your heart be closed to those others who need you, it hurts to see then alive when the one you need is gone, but they can help you get through this, can help to distract you from your grief and let time help heal your broken heart. Take one day at a time. Don't let fear and all those should haves, could haves, rule your future. It brings nothing but heartache, changes nothing, and makes her death more important than her life. Her life is infinitely more precious.
She shared your life journey for a little while, and it was good. Concentrate on those precious memories and let them bring comfort. She follows a new path now but will forever parallel your own. The 'essence' that was her will be with you always, love says it is so......
My heart breaks for your pain. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.May God in his mercy grant you peace and find the joy in living once again....
RIP precious girl. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. We all knew this was coming, but it's still a shock when it actually happens :hugs:. I'm not good at expressing myself in these moments, so will just say that I agree with what everyone else has said.

Take care of yourself, and the rest of your family, furry ones included.