Nearing The End... Go Out With A Bang?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I'm so sorry to hear that your kitty is not doing well. When you decide to go through the last appointment ask the vet to do the two shot/step procedure. It will make it much easier on both of you. The vet will know what you mean.

As far as the coughing-it could be the tumors that are impacting breathing. It could be a sign that things could quickly progress. Sadly we often get stuck making the decision at the last second due to things progressing faster than we expected.

The two step/shot is first a relaxer will cause the kitty to get very sleepy. This will be the time where you can hug your kitty and gaze into their eyes...When they fall asleep their eyes will be open but you will tell from the pupils not responding to light. Then the vet will let you spend whatever time you want before the final shot.

Unfortunately there are times where the animal is so dehydrated or heart failure where a vein is just not possible. There are two other ways to finish the procedure. The vet will ask you if you want to be in the room when the final shot is given. Some people can't handle it-and some can. In my case my Pumps had complications at the end and they had to resort to plan B. I had to leave the room for both of us. I was crying too hard and I knew medically what had to be done-I just couldn't watch. The good thing is our pet will be already gone in a sense-a deep sleep and often their blood pressure is so low that it would make it hard to find a vein like in my case. And they won't feel any pain..their heart will still beat but they will be unconscious.

I don't regret making the last minute choice on December 1st. I ended up taking her to a local big vet that had Saturday hours-they closed at 5 but they worked with me and it was 5:30 when it was done. My girl just wasn't responding to the environment like normal. She used to climb into the sink or climb up my shirt to hide..this time she was meat loafed on her blanket with the saddest look on her face and I just knew it was time. She was looking so sad and wasn't even scared.

We opted not to do inhome services because even if someone walks on the porch she would be gone under the beds...so for her it was easier to take her to the vets.

I wish there was a full recovery for your baby but so far from what you are talking about, it sounds like there's no hope for improvement. I wish I had better news for you and am so very sorry for this news of your kitty. Many of us here know exactly how you feel. Just know that love never ends and we can hold their memories close to our hearts. I am so sorry for what's to come.

:alright::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
So We’re nearing the end of the week and I really don’t know what to do. She is still fine besides the random gagging fits roughly once a day. Her breathing was high yesterday (52/min) but today it is back to 42/min.

Besides that we have been enjoying the week snuggling, sleeping, eating tons, listening to music and trying to help as many people on here as we can.

Appetite is huge, drinks, purrs....

I had thought tomorrow would be the day we go to the vets for euthanasia but she seems so fine still.

I only have work days off until Wednesday of next week.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just checking in to see how things are going. Is that new antibiotic helping? How's are breathing now? Any improvement?

Continued vibes for her and you and your wife too :hugs:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
*Wanted to point out that although 42 itself is high since it should be max 30-35 my vet said ~45 is manageable with her condition. Above 50 is very bad.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to see how things are going. Is that new antibiotic helping? How's are breathing now? Any improvement?

Continued vibes for her and you and your wife too :hugs:
Thank you for checking in, I wonder if we were writing at the same time as I literally just posted an update!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Even her ulcerating tumor area looks much better than the beginning of the week... I really don’t know what to do.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh... her breathing is back again to 47-48 times a minute.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she enjoying life at all, or just existing? If you feel she has a little life yet to live, ask the vet for a sedative to inject if she suddenly gets bad and let her continue on a little while longer.....

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
She is definitely enjoying life still! Right now she just had some treats and is grooming herself like the little princess she is :).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good for her! So glad the ulcerating tumor is better. That new antibiotic must be helping with that. Darn those lung tumors :fuming:. As long as she seems happy and has a will to live, then I say don't pull the plug. But I do think it's a good idea to ask the Vet for a sedative as di and bob di and bob suggested, to calm her if her breathing gets really bad after hours.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Good for her! So glad the ulcerating tumor is better. That new antibiotic must be helping with that. Darn those lung tumors :fuming:. As long as she seems happy and has a will to live, then I say don't pull the plug. But I do think it's a good idea to ask the Vet for a sedative as di and bob di and bob suggested, to calm her if her breathing gets really bad after hours.
My wife had mentioned a sedative too, but then I brought up the fact that if she is breathing so hard it’s because she needs more air. If I give her a sedative which slows down her breathing, then she is not getting enough oxygen to supply her body.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like with asthmatics they need to slow doe n their breathing to take deeper breaths. The sedative is to calm her and take some pain away until you can get her to a vet when the end comes. It is NEVER at a time when the vet is readily available.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I was about to call my vet (or any vet really) and inquire but they all seem to have closed at 2pm EST an hour ago.... the only one that is open now until Monday AM is the emergency vet hospital.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Today is my last vacation day... back to work tomorrow :(....

It’s been a blessing with my workplace letting me take 2 weeks with zero notice off. I still have a few vacation days left for this year but I highly doubt they would give me any more like this. Hopefully there will be some heavy snow days so I can work from home.

My kitty cat is still fighting... my fear now is her taking a sudden drop in health while I am at work. My wife will be home, but it won’t be the same. I literally moved myself into a room with her so I could keep watch almost 24/7. Another one of my kitties joined us (bless his little heart) but I feel I have neglected my other cats for almost 2 months now. Only my wife hangs out with them.

Currently her breathing is fluctuating from roughly 44/min all the way up to 55/min, but mostly at the 44. She does the gagging thing once a day. I don’t even know if I would call it gagging, it’s like she has a hairball but there is nothing to come out. Then she just stops after 20 seconds. It’s probably the tumors in her lung triggering it....

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and quite often she goes into those super deep sleeps where she goes limp as a fish. Makes me worried/raises my blood pressure every time it happens.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty cat is still fighting... my fear now is her taking a sudden drop in health while I am at work. My wife will be home, but it won’t be the same. I literally moved myself into a room with her so I could keep watch almost 24/7. Another one of my kitties joined us (bless his little heart) but I feel I have neglected my other cats for almost 2 months now. Only my wife hangs out with them.
You must be two wonderful persons!
I don't know many people who would do the same, I think I know none.
I know how you feel about neglecting the other cats, but I'm sure they do understand.

Oh and quite often she goes into those super deep sleeps where she goes limp as a fish. Makes me worried/raises my blood pressure every time it happens.
Yes, it's a familiar feeling that I have had since my cats were still kittens!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Trust your wife, she loves kit as much as you do.
Oh it’s not that, it’s the fact that she won’t be in the room all day like I was so she cannot keep an eye on her all day :(.