Nature's Variety Raw Instinct Bites

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooh, where did you read this?  I saw some information about packaging updates, but no details on changes (or lack thereof) to the formulas themselves.  That's awesome!
The manager of my local pet store told me first. She says their Wellness rep told them to tell their Crazy Cat Lady, meaning me, that they are taking it out. She said they are changing the labels and everything. She said they will slowly be rolling it out over the next few months. I then received an email from the company, and sure enough, it said the same thing! Then I saw a post on their FB page and it too said that they were taking it out.
Holistic Select is made by the same company that makes Wellness. It has never had carageenen in it. They do make the bigger 13 ounce cans but when I called them they said they couldn't guarantee that the cans didn't contain BPA. They said the smaller cans do not contain it.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The manager of my local pet store told me first. She says their Wellness rep told them to tell their Crazy Cat Lady, meaning me, that they are taking it out. She said they are changing the labels and everything. She said they will slowly be rolling it out over the next few months. I then received an email from the company, and sure enough, it said the same thing! Then I saw a post on their FB page and it too said that they were taking it out.
Holistic Select is made by the same company that makes Wellness. It has never had carageenen in it. They do make the bigger 13 ounce cans but when I called them they said they couldn't guarantee that the cans didn't contain BPA. They said the smaller cans do not contain it.
Thanks for the information!  I do feed Holistic Select on occasion, but it's hard to find in my local stores.  Hoping that the updated Wellness formulas are an improvement to the existing offerings! :)

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
D dorimon I forgot to add that there are some Wellness products that are carageenen free slowly making it into the market. They have a new Core canned food that has gravy that is carageenen free. They have it available on Chewy.com now. I tried it. My cats like it ok but it is long slices of "meat" in gravy. My cats aren't big on pieces, so I have to smoosh it up or else it ends up getting pushed off the plate. When I smoosh it up, it does get eaten. I probably won't buy it anymore though because it just makes a mess. If your cats eat it without pushing it off the plate, I think it would be good to try. I think they also have a couple of the signature selects out that are carageenen free. I got a couple of cans from my pet store. My cats lived them. I could sure smell them in the litter box though. I'm going to wait until the pate comes out and try that. That's what they used to really like before I went raw.
The Holistec Select brand is all pate formulas.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@dorimon I forgot to add that there are some Wellness products that are carageenen free slowly making it into the market. They have a new Core canned food that has gravy that is carageenen free. They have it available on Chewy.com now. I tried it. My cats like it ok but it is long slices of "meat" in gravy. My cats aren't big on pieces, so I have to smoosh it up or else it ends up getting pushed off the plate. When I smoosh it up, it does get eaten. I probably won't buy it anymore though because it just makes a mess. If your cats eat it without pushing it off the plate, I think it would be good to try. I think they also have a couple of the signature selects out that are carageenen free. I got a couple of cans from my pet store. My cats lived them. I could sure smell them in the litter box though. I'm going to wait until the pate comes out and try that. That's what they used to really like before I went raw.
The Holistec Select brand is all pate formulas.
Yup I'm aware.  I'm just sorta picky about what we feed, and I don't like all of the Wellness formulas.  Thanks for the information though :)

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup I'm aware.  I'm just sorta picky about what we feed, and I don't like all of the Wellness formulas.  Thanks for the information though :)
Me either. In my opinion, Wellness is a middle of the line food. They had a recall a little over seven years ago if I remember correctly. I'm thinking they didn't have enough thiamine in some of their food. It was around the right they were sold to Wellpet. I stopped feeding the food. I'm definitely not a huge fan of Wellness, but I might use it to try to get some of my seniors to eat more raw.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. Id definitely be more interested in wellness if they didnt use carageenan.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Ralphscats  & @kittyluv387: Just FYI, I found this while searching for information about the Wellness recipe changes...

Not a deal-breaker for me (I'll have to see the updated ingredients lists, guaranteed analyses, etc. before making my decision), but it's worth noting.  I hope that other companies (*cough* Nutro *cough*) will follow suit and also remove carrageenan. :)

Also... sorry for taking us so far from the original thread topic.  Maybe we should make a new thread to discuss these changes as the new products begin appearing in stores. :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Ralphscats
 & @kittyluv387
: Just FYI, I found this while searching for information about the Wellness recipe changes...

Not a deal-breaker for me (I'll have to see the updated ingredients lists, guaranteed analyses, etc. before making my decision), but it's worth noting.  I hope that other companies (*cough* Nutro *cough*) will follow suit and also remove carrageenan. :)

Also... sorry for taking us so far from the original thread topic.  Maybe we should make a new thread to discuss these changes as the new products begin appearing in stores. :)
The nutro natural line doesnt have carageenan. But i stopped feeding that to my cat because it started giving him the runs. :/

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only some of the Nutro Natural Choice line is carrageenan-free.  The canned Soft Loaf varieties, for example, contain carrageenan.
You're right, i do vaguely remember only a few of their flavors didn't have carageenan. Pride by instinct doesnt have caragernan either btw.