Name three things - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pooped today. Rick and I were both really out of it when his cell phone alarm rang this morning. Took him a while to shut it off and get out of bed.
  • Did an extra good scoop on the boxes this morning (because I didn't get them done last night)
  • I want to do a quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen tonight
And I think that may be it for us.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
  • Scrubbed and disinfected a rabbit cage at the shelter.
  • Scrubbed and disinfected another bunny cage at the shelter.
  • Came home and ordered a 1-liter bottle of descaler to clean bunny cages.

Did I ever mention that I hate to clean bunny cages?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

• Scrubbed and disinfected a rabbit cage at the shelter.
  • Scrubbed and disinfected another bunny cage at the shelter.
  • Came home and ordered a 1-liter bottle of descaler to clean bunny cages.
Did I ever mention that I hate to clean bunny cages?
I used to have a bunny many years ago. He was a little gray dwarf bunny named Bun (so original, I know 
). They are the cutest little things. Do you get more bunnies at the shelter in the few months following Easter? 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hope not! :lol3: Actually, we'll have to refuse to take more because we don't have any room for them. We had one, but a guy dumped ten on us at once. One was pregnant and had a litter of eight! We've only managed to place four recently. They're all sweet and cuddly, but cleaning up after them is a lot of work.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope not!
Actually, we'll have to refuse to take more because we don't have any room for them. We had one, but a guy dumped ten on us at once. One was pregnant and had a litter of eight! We've only managed to place four recently. They're all sweet and cuddly, but cleaning up after them is a lot of work.
Yes, it is. I asked because a lot of people like to give bunnies as Easter "gifts" 
 then realize that they are a lot of work and get rid of them once the kids get bored with them. I used to have a harness and leash for Bun that I used to take him outside. Scary to think that that was almost 30 years ago. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hope not! :lol3: Actually, we'll have to refuse to take more because we don't have any room for them. We had one, but a guy dumped ten on us at once. One was pregnant and had a litter of eight! We've only managed to place four recently. They're all sweet and cuddly, but cleaning up after them is a lot of work.
Yes, it is. I asked because a lot of people like to give bunnies as Easter "gifts" :rolleyes2  then realize that they are a lot of work and get rid of them once the kids get bored with them. I used to have a harness and leash for Bun that I used to take him outside. Scary to think that that was almost 30 years ago. 
I imagine a lot of kids did get bunnies for Easter and people will be asking the shelter to take them in a few weeks or months, but we don't have room for more than the 15 we have now. My parents let us have just about any kind of pets we wanted, including dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, rats, gerbils, tarantulas and ferrets, but rabbits and birds were the exceptions. Now that I've had to look after them at the shelter, I know why! I'd rather clean 40 or 50 litter boxes than one rabbit cage. Rats are a lot more suitable for kids.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I used to have a bunny many years ago. He was a little gray dwarf bunny named Bun (so original, I know 
). They are the cutest little things. Do you get more bunnies at the shelter in the few months following Easter? 
Talk about originality.....our bunny was named Peter. 
 He was out back in a rabbit cage and yes, it was a bugger to clean. (There was an article on Huffington Post about what happens to rabbits and chicks after Easter; I didn't read it.)
  • 3 loads of laundry are separated on the hallway floor and ready to go when I get home from work tonight
  • Trash night, so clean out all the litter boxes
  • Rick has a conference call tonight, so while he's on that, I'm going to see if I can get that laptop straightened-out....I haven't completely given up on it, even though BIL is coming over to work on it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barbara, thank you. The headache goes down to a dull roar, then flares back up again.

Are you talking about pickled eggs with red beets; that's the one that we use? When I get home, I will post my recipe for Pickled Eggs for you, if that's OK. It was given to me by a neighbor and we really like it. I thought I knew it by heart, but when I started thinking about the amount of sugar, my brain fogged and I can't remember. :anon:  Best for me to check the recipe and will do so tonight for you. (We love pickled eggs, but I only make them twice a year....once for Easter dinner and then once mid-summer for a family picnic.)
When you say 'bee's do you mean beetroots?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the supermarket today instead of Thursday when it will be a mad house.
Went to the superpharm and bought materna baby food for my granddaughter.
Came home and read the newspaper. So depressing!

Recipe for Pickled Eggs. Recipe can also be found here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254597/this-and-that-miscellaneous-recipes#post_3721535

PICKLED EGGS                                                                

1 can sliced beets
½ to 1 onion, sliced thinly                                                                      
1 bay leaf, crumbled                                            
½ can vinegar                                                                                                        
1 cup sugar (to taste for sweet and sour)      
Hard-boiled eggs (8 eggs)

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Layer desired amount of shelled hard-boiled eggs in a jar. Pour some of the beet mixture over the eggs. Add another layer of eggs and repeat with beet mixture until mixture is all.
Barbara, thank you. The headache goes down to a dull roar, then flares back up again.

Are you talking about pickled eggs with red beets; that's the one that we use? When I get home, I will post my recipe for Pickled Eggs for you, if that's OK. It was given to me by a neighbor and we really like it. I thought I knew it by heart, but when I started thinking about the amount of sugar, my brain fogged and I can't remember. :anon:  Best for me to check the recipe and will do so tonight for you. (We love pickled eggs, but I only make them twice a year....once for Easter dinner and then once mid-summer for a family picnic.)
when you say '

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[quote name="Stewball" url="/t/290273/name-three-things-2015/300#post_3722686"

when you say '[/qjot
@ Winchester. Can't get beets in a jar. Only fresh..Help!!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • gave both snick and jasper an early breakfast, then i relaxed at the computer for about an hour
  • gave snick her sub-q's
  • moved more firewood to the living room log rack, then vacuumed the living room floor (to get up the inevitable wood debris that moving firewood makes) as well as the rest of the first floor
  • made my breakfast
  • baked a coconut custard pie -- yum!
  • made/baked a batch of croutons (to add to my tossed salads for lunch)
  • scooped litter boxes, then bundled up the small bag of trash and set it in the back enclosed porch (until it stops raining, been raining steadily all day)
  • washed the dishes

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester. I can't get beets in a jar. Advice please.
Or advise please .

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, you would have to buy fresh beets, wash and trim them, and cook them that way. Here's a page that will help you:  http://www.healthy-beets.com/cooking-fresh-beets.html

It can take as long as an hour or so to cook beets, esp if they're large ones. I'd say that if you want to do a dozen eggs, you would probably need about 24 ounces or so of beets (and juice). You need enough juice to cover the eggs in the container to pickle them properly. You can also roast beets, but I'm thinking that, if you're going to pickle them anyway, just simmer the beets on the stove.

Once they're cooked, then you peel and slice them (wear gloves!). At that point, I'd put them in a saucepan, add the remaining ingredients (not the eggs), bring them to a boil, then turn the heat off. Then you can put your eggs in the container, cover with the beets, add another layer of eggs, cover them, etc. Seal tightly, then put them in the fridge. You need to turn the container from time to time so that the eggs will move around and be completely pickled.

I'm going to try to grow beets in the garden again this year. I tried last year and got beautiful greens, but no beets. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to buy beets from a farmer because I'd really like to either freeze some beets or can them. Rick doesn't eat red beets (doesn't matter how they're prepared), but he will eat the pickled eggs.

My things to do today:
  • Bake an apple coffee cake to bring into work tomorrow
  • General straightening-up about the house
  • Some computer stuff

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfasts
  • will give snick her sub-q's shortly
  • move more firewood to the living room log rack
  • vacuum up the inevitable wood debris off the living room floor, then take a whirl around the rest of the first floor with the vacuum
  • make my breakfast
  • bake some french bread pizzas
  • wash the dishes, scoop litter boxes, take the trash out, and bring in the newspaper
  • dump the wood stove ash pan, then add more wood to the stove -- it just may get warm enough that i'll be able to let the wood stove go out for a few hours today, but we'll see...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is not here today, so I'm on my own.
  • Took some ham and the ham bone from Easter out of the freezer and am making Split Pea Soup for the freezer. 
  • General straightening-up throughout the house

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's going to be a nice quiet saturday here.
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfast
  • wrote up my "to do" list for tomorrows busy day
  • dump the wood stove ash pan, then add more wood to the stove
  • will make my breakfast shortly
  • wash the dishes, scoop litter boxes, take out the trash, and bring in the newspaper
  • will run the washing machine later this afternoon/evening
will do some reading and watch some tv, maybe find a movie to watch this afternoon. i'll bring out the cat dancer wand toy again today. snick and jasper are learning to take turns playing with toys near each other now. they did very well a few nights ago when we did that for the first time.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
mickNsnicks2mom,

How do ever mange to find the time, never mind the energy to do all that you do? I am exhausted just reading your list!!!

You amaze me!!

I just had a container of vanilla yogurt..having some coffee now..

I was up at 3am because Artie threw up a fur ball....he was on lying on top of me, and I had to shoo him off the bed (quilt) that is very hard to clean...

By the time I cleaned it up, it was 3:30am... It did not bother him in the least! Artie was trying to 'help me' clean it!! 

and then, he went over to eat some more!!

I would have been concerned, but I did see a small fur ball in the liquid..so I know that is what did it.....

He is currently in the stage where he will not allow me to brush him very much...

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mickNsnicks2mom,

How do ever mange to find the time, never mind the energy to do all that you do? I am exhausted just reading your list!!!

You amaze me!!

I just had a container of vanilla yogurt..having some coffee now..

I was up at 3am because Artie threw up a fur ball....he was on lying on top of me, and I had to shoo him off the bed (quilt) that is very hard to clean...

By the time I cleaned it up, it was 3:30am... It did not bother him in the least! Artie was trying to 'help me' clean it!! 

and then, he went over to eat some more!!

I would have been concerned, but I did see a small fur ball in the liquid..so I know that is what did it.....

He is currently in the stage where he will not allow me to brush him very much...
it's only me (and the kitties), so i'm the one who needs to get everything done. i tend to like getting things done and over with, off my mind, and completed sooner rather than later. that said, i wear myself out every day -- and when i get into bed each night, i'm out literally like a light (getting turned off).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the hairdresser where he managed brighten it enough.
Went and bought nappies for the babh

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to my son for lunch. Bought a nice birthday present for my DiL from Laline. Got hugged by six grandchildren and had some quality time with the baby. She'll be 1 year next month. Time flies. Had a nice lunch and came home after coffee and cake. I didn't have coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.