Went To See My Doctor.
Left my doctor.
Looked at dressing gowns and bought some nail polish
and took me out to eat.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a very nice quiet day for me and the kitties today. i've been doing some supervised visits for snick and jasper at different times of the day, and we're starting early today -- around 7:30am and leaving jasper's safe room door open so he can come downstairs whenever he wants today.
  • give the cats their breakfasts, then make mine
  • wash the dishes, scoop litter boxes, take out the trash, bring in the newspaper
  • already wrote up my "to do" list for tomorrows busy day
  • will write up my shopping list for this coming saturday, shopping day

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's Monday and I'm back at work.....
  • Have a planning commission meeting right after work. The good news is that the Christmas dinner is directly after, so they'll want to get the meeting over with quickly and go to dinner.
  • Must grab a few groceries (and I know the store will be packed as tomorrow the nor'easter hits and we're in the 6-12-inch range. 
     )
  • MAYBE tonight we will decorate the tree. Rick got the lights on last night, but that's as far as we got.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Monday is my one day off work for this week.  Spent it quite fruitfully:

Got the Christmas decorations down from their high storage places and cleaned the dust away from  my high shelves while I was at it.

Put up my lovely new 2' tree plus an even smaller tinsel one and then decorated them both.

Vacuumed up all the mess the fake trees and decorations made while I was setting everything up.

My sitting room is looking very nice and not too cluttered.   I usually end up totally over doing Christmas decor on the odd occasions I put a tree up but this year it is very tasteful.  
    (Maybe I'm sick or something)?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
By golly, we are decorating our tree tonight, if it's the last thing we do! (I had my meeting last night, then we went for groceries. Til we got everything put away and then had dinner, it was going on 8:00. And by that time, I was ready for bed.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
among the many things i did today, i replaced the rope gasket on the wood stove. i had all the equipment i needed and had it all planned out, and everything went pretty smoothly. i'm pretty proud of how well i did that.

other things i did today were vacuuming and steam cleaning, moving firewood, getting the trash cans and recycling to the curb, made another loaf of bread machine bread, got several things organized, and set more mouse traps in the basement (it's winter here in my rural area, and the mice seek out any and all shelter from the cold and precipitation -- i've caught 3 so far in my traps this year).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@mickNsnicks2mom
I think you have every reason to be proud of yourself. You certainly did a lot today. I'm quite ashamed that all I did was prepare my weird supper!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

among the many things i did today, i replaced the rope gasket on the wood stove. i had all the equipment i needed and had it all planned out, and everything went pretty smoothly. i'm pretty proud of how well i did that.

other things i did today were vacuuming and steam cleaning, moving firewood, getting the trash cans and recycling to the curb, made another loaf of bread machine bread, got several things organized, and set more mouse traps in the basement (it's winter here in my rural area, and the mice seek out any and all shelter from the cold and precipitation -- i've caught 3 so far in my traps this year).
Yay you! Good job with that rope gasket! 
 How did your bread turn out?

Got the tree done last night. 

• Trash night, so must clean the litterboxes
  • Two loads of laundry
  • A quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@mickNsnicks2mom
I think you have every reason to be proud of yourself. You certainly did a lot today. I'm quite ashamed that all I did was prepare my weird supper!
thank you! this was the first time i've replaced the wood stove gasket. i do the chimney pipes cleaning myself too. it's usually the first time doing these kind of things that's the hardest for me. with the gasket, the hardest part for me was dealing with the gasket adhesive. i don't do well with glues or adhesives generally, just make a big mess with the stuff.

i always say that i wear myself out every day, and that's really true.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yay you! Good job with that rope gasket! 
 How did your bread turn out?

Got the tree done last night. 

• Trash night, so must clean the litterboxes
  • Two loads of laundry
  • A quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen
thank you! the gasket sits in the door channel just right, so when the wood stove doors are closed it's a snug fit.

the bread turned out great! i love the recipe i use, pretty much foolproof. the recipe calls for 3 cups of bread flour, and i usually replace either 1/2 cup with equal amount of 7-grain flour or 1/4 cup with equal amount of white rye flour -- and add extra vital wheat gluten.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • dumped the wood stove ash pan, and got the wood stove going
  • gave snick and jasper their breakfasts, then scooped litter boxes
  • got the trash cans back from the curb -- before the snow got worse
  • made my breakfast -- i'm really enjoying the watermelon rind jelly i made/canned this past summer, on my toast
  • washed the dishes

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I just love homemade bread! 

Rick is bowling early tonight. 
  • Work on shoveling the driveway; we've about 4 inches of snow so far and it's still coming down. It's not supposed to be real bad here, thank goodness. But it's slippery going and the roads aren't great.
  • Scoop the boxes
  • I need to get my ear muffs and heavy mittens out of the closet and find my Yak Trax for walking.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • made my breakfast -- i'm really enjoying the watermelon rind jelly i made/canned this past summer, on my toast
  • washed the dishes
  • washed the dishes
how do you make jelly, jam, from water melon rind? I used to make jam out of every fruit imaginable, even quince.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the weekly shopping.
Got my meds.
Bought a very soft fleece.
bought nappies and maternal for grandchild No. 7.
bought training bottoms for the email !
went for may delicious soup

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you make jelly, jam, from water melon rind? I used to make jam out of every fruit imaginable, even quince.
hmmm...i'd have to locate the recipe i used. i made jelly, so no chunks of watermelon rind in it. i believe the recipe called for cooking the rinds, maybe even pureeing it after cooking it. the jelly doesn't taste like watermelon, but like the ground cinnamon that's in it. i really like to find uses for things that would normally be thrown away.

i remember you mentioned that you used to make jams!

i've got apple peel jelly and blueberry jam to make/can coming up starting in january -- from frozen peels, blueberries.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know about watermelon rind jelly. I have made watermelon rind pickle, which is very nice.

As you mentioned, "the jelly doesn't taste like watermelon, but like the ground cinnamon that's in it" so what's the point of salvaging the watermelon rind?

If you "really like to find uses for things that would normally be thrown away" have you ever made corn cob jelly? I haven't tried it but did come across the recipe while researching for my book, 'Preserving Memories.'

Quince is wonderful for preserves. The Portuguese for quince, marmelo, is where marmalade (our name for citrus preserves) originated. Paradise jelly is made from quince, apple, and cranberry.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't know about watermelon rind jelly. I have made watermelon rind pickle, which is very nice.

As you mentioned, "the jelly doesn't taste like watermelon, but like the ground cinnamon that's in it" so what's the point of salvaging the watermelon rind?

If you "really like to find uses for things that would normally be thrown away" have you ever made corn cob jelly? I haven't tried it but did come across the recipe while researching for my book, 'Preserving Memories.'

Quince is wonderful for preserves. The Portuguese for quince, marmelo, is where marmalade (our name for citrus preserves) originated. Paradise jelly is made from quince, apple, and cranberry.
the way i look at it is that i paid for the watermelon, the whole watermelon. so why not get use out of the whole thing? it really tastes quite good, and it's something different. i prefer to make homemade jams and jellies, though i do occasionally buy some.

corn cob jelly sounds interesting. i don't like corn on the cob, so wouldn't have corn cobs to use.

i have made green tomato jam though. that turned out quite tasty.  and i've also made zucchini jam, which is flavored using strawberry (or raspberry) jell-o powder. and i've made zucchini relish, which is a sweet pickle relish made with zucchini instead of cucumbers. i made a batch of sweet pepper jelly (using sweet green peppers), which for me was more of an "acquired taste".

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@mickNsnicks2mom, the first time I heard about watermelon rind pickle I was a kid  at summer sleep away camp. We had watermelon for dinner one night, and were told to save the rind because a local woman would collect it to make pickles. Fast forward several decades. Many, actually. The pickle recipe I developed was ginger lemon. Nice.

And in season, even if you don't eat corn on the cob I bet you have numerous friends who do, and would save you the cobs.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@mickNsnicks2mom, the first time I heard about watermelon rind pickle I was a kid  at summer sleep away camp. We had watermelon for dinner one night, and were told to save the rind because a local woman would collect it to make pickles. Fast forward several decades. Many, actually. The pickle recipe I developed was ginger lemon. Nice.

And in season, even if you don't eat corn on the cob I bet you have numerous friends who do, and would save you the cobs.
ginger lemon, that sounds like it must be a really good pickle recipe!

you're probably right! i'm sure i know people who do eat corn on the cob.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Ginger lemon pickles? That sounds good.

Rick has a dentist appt this afternoon, so he won't be home when I get there. A quick dinner and then:
  • BooBoo has a vet appt tonight at 7:15, His allergies are getting worse, so it's time for the shots. And he's really having some problems getting around, esp when he first gets up after sleeping. There's a problem with his hip, I think. I'm a little worried about him. I called the vet a couple weeks ago, but this was the earliest they could take him.
  • Lowes; Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and grocery shopping 
  • Bake chocolate chip cookies (I made the dough on Sunday and it's in the fridge)
And honestly, I don't know how we're going to get it all done. It will be well after 8:00 til we even get home from the vet tonight. 

Status
Not open for further replies.