Nala and her kittens

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat just had kittens 2 days ago. I set up her nesting box..which she gave birth in and has stayed in. I put her food on one side of the box and cat box on the other. But..she won't use the cat box! She wants to go use the box that's in the other room. It this normal?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's fine. It makes sense that she doesn't want to use the bathroom near her nest. Let her do whatever is comfortable, but be sure to keep her inside and away from any intact males.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's an indoor kitty anyways. We have a male...the one that got her pregnant lol. I don't trust him cause when she was in labor he was trying to get at her. I want to keep them apart and get him fixed asap. It's just a pain cause the door is kept closed and what if I'm not home and she has to go. She doesn't seem to be going much. She drinks and eats a lot. She's maybe gone three times since giving birth. Is that normal?

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my momma cat just moved all her babies to the bottom drawer of our dresser. That's her spot any ways but she pulled the blankets away and put the babies in the corner. I'm new to this whole kitten thing. Is this normal? After she did it she went and ate and went to the bathroom and then walked around looking in the nesting box and taking awhile to go back to her babies. She acted like she forgot where she put them! I showed her and she's now with them but I don't dare check them cause I don't want to bother them. I'm afraid she will abandoned them! Help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay. Just leave them be. She's moved them where she feels they are safe. She knows they are there. She was checking to make sure she got them all. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

How old are the babies? Are they safe in the drawer?

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are only 2 days old. I moved them back to the nesting box after I changed the bedding and she moved them right back to the drawer. Yeah the drawer is ok. She took it over with my clothes in it so I took them out and made a place for her...months before she even got pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww. Newborns. Since they are safe in the drawer just leave them. Are they warm enough?

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so. There's a lot of blankets in there and I covered the top of it over with another blanket. It's just were mom is putting them is in the corner but she moved the blankets away so there on the floor of the drawer. I have 3 spots set up for her. The box, in the closet and the drawer..I keep hearing them cry too! Or at least one of them. I want to make sure there nursing but don't want to bother them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to check to make sure they are nursing. Crying means hunger. You might want to put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in the drawer nearby for extra heat. When mom gets out of the drawer, try to slip a soft tee shirt under the kittens.

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. It's been about 15 min since I've heard crying. They fight a lot too. Its always just this one though. I think the runt. I had a heating pad in the nesting box. I'll probably put that in there. I put the blanket on the bottom back but she pulls it away and lays on the bottom of the drawer.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A heating pad is okay, but it MUST be set on low only, and it MUST be placed under a blanket. The kittens should NOT lie directly on it ever. I like heating pads used properly as they offer constant and consistent heat.

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had it under 2 layers of towels and only on low setting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, normal. And if she needs to go badly enough she'll use the one nearby. Keep the male cat totally away from her and the kittens now, and set up his appointment to be neutered right away. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

nalasmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just checked them. All sleeping soundly including mom. Mom is very attached to me so I sat a petted her for a bit. It seems very warm in there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Keep up the nice job, and keep us updated. We'd love pictures whever you can get them.