Mystery solved!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Poor little Zander, and poor you.  It is so worrying when you don't see any improvment and even think it is getting worse.  Zander is very, very lucky to be with you, holding out and looking for answers to get her well.  It is great to hear your vet is taking a care approach at this point too and listening to what you are saying and working around payments so something can be done.

What a rough start this little kitten has had, from when she found herself under your porch to now and still not feeling great.  All fingers, toes and paws crossed in my home too for this to be something really simple to resolve once the vet knows what is causing it.

(I'm not even going to try and compete with Columbine's positive vibes here because I know I won't come close LoL and she says it all :-D ) 

Will be keeping you and young Zander in my thoughts until we hear how things go at the vet later this week.  
Yeah I think @Columbine  has the award for positive vibes....If those don't get her better I don't know what will.

Thanks everyone. I know that with all of you sending her your positive vibes and thoughts she will make a full recovery. I will be taking her first thing in the morning and hopefully I will hear something later in the day.  

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dropped her off first thing this morning and the vet assistant said they were going to sedate her a little so they can look up her nose with a light. They will call me as soon as they finish to let me know how she's doing. I pray they find out what is going on so this poor baby girl can start feeling like a kitten.

This is what she reminds me of with her nose:

View media item 291240

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Zander. I really hope the vet is able to find the cause of the problem, and that its easy to treat. Here come the healing vibes ;) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just called the vet. He is suppose to call me back. Nervously trying to eat lunch while waiting for the phone to ring.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Relief!!!!!

Sad but relieved. The vet finally called me and I have good news. He did and x-ray and didn't see anything so he sedated her and was looking in her nostril and saw what he thought might have been a tumor. It wasn't thank goodness.

He noticed that whatever it was kept moving and when he got the tweezers and extracted it he noticed that it was a maggot. It was actually a wolf worm/maggot that had evidentially crawled up her nose while she was under the house/porch and just decided to stay. When he got it out, he said it measured 1 -1 1/2 inches. I just wanted to cry, still do.

I am so relieved that she will be able to breath better and it should heal up without any lasting problems. He said there could be some damage to her sinuses but as young as she is, it should heal fine. He will be sending her home with some more antibiotic. Plus having the shot last week would help.

I know one thing, this precious baby hasn't been able to eat too much in the past few weeks so she will be due as much canned food as she can eat for as long as she wants. We have 4 weeks of weight to catch up on and she will deserve everything she wants. She is barely over 1 lb. and is about 8 -10 weeks old.

I can't wait to get her home so I can make sure she will be safe. She won't have to be outside in this nasty world anymore without me watching over her.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, CONCERNS AND GOOD VIBES (@Columbine) EVERYONE HERE ON THIS SITE IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I FOUND THIS ON A WEBSITE ABOUT WOLF WORMS.....THIS COULD BE ABOUT ZANDER. THIS IS A VERY SCARY THING FOR A PET, ESPECIALLY A KITTEN.

July 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm
we took in a stray kitten that started sneezing. did this for several days and we took it to the vet and she said it had pneumonia, kept him 2 days.we went to get him and I noticed his nose being swollen. I asked her about it and she said it was from sinus infection. he got worse as the day went on.got to looking at kittens nose that night and could see something up in his nose.called and told the vets husband who is also a vet what I saw and he said to bring him on. he met us there,looked at the kitten and saw the worm moving in the kittens nose.had to leave the kitten over night.he took the worm out that night. wolf worms can get anywhere. his wife didn’t think it was a worm but I saw it and knew it wasn’t supposed to be there. got to go pick him up today
PLEASE EVERYONE BE CAREFUL WHEN YOUR CATS ARE OUTSIDE, ESPECIALLY DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS. PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE I FOUND ABOUT THESE CREATURES.

Wolf Worms

By The Top Worm - January 21, 2009 15,995 recent views

Wolf worms (genus Cuterebra) are parasites that can infect animals ranging from farm animals to animals in the wild. Although only one species of wolf worm has been identified in North America and it is more common among animals such as cattle, it is not uncommon to come across a wolf worm infection in domestic pets, even cats.

Also called “screw worm,” a wolf worms are tricky parasites. The female wolf worm lays its eggs in a nest or near a den of animals, such as rodents. The larva can sense heat, so when a mammal is very close, the larva will hatch and then enter the host through its mouth, nose or even a wound on the host’s skin. Fortunately, wolf worms are easy to see with the naked eye so evidence of infection is easy to determine just by sight. Wolf worms are light tan, with a brown spot on the end and they are around the size of ½ of a dime. Once the wolf worm has infected its host, it will form a hole inside the host’s skin. The larva can breathe through this hole. The “breathing hole” is easy to see, so the animal’s owner will know that the his pet or livestock has been infected with wolf worms almost immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek2::shocker::shocked: Oh my god! Poor little Zander! I'm so, so glad that's all it was though. At least it was easily fixed and will heal up soon. I can't wait ti hear that she's eating like a champ and wreaking havoc throughout your house ;)

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my god! Poor little Zander! I'm so, so glad that's all it was though. At least it was easily fixed and will heal up soon. I can't wait ti hear that she's eating like a champ and wreaking havoc throughout your house
Thanks, I think I'm still in shock that my poor baby had endured that for this long. From what I read, I will be keeping a close eye on her just in case she has any more problems. At least next time the vet will know what to look for. It's taking everything in my not to leave work and go get her and take her home.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'd never heard of wolf worms - that's scary! Lots and lots of :vibes: that Zander makes a quick recovery now that the problem has been found.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd never heard of wolf worms - that's scary! Lots and lots of
that Zander makes a quick recovery now that the problem has been found.
It's actually a botfly larvae from what I read. Her vet said there were numerous ways it could have entered her nostril. I figure it was from her being outside in the dirty environment under my porch & house before I found her. It caused her eyes to run like a URI and I guess the antibiotics helped keep the inflammation down quite a bit. We are so lucky to have found out so she can get all better now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading this thread and waiting for your update.   And ewwwww, how horrible.  Poor baby.  It is so good you were persistent and took her back to the vet.  And that you thought you saw something in her her nose.   Hopefully that is the end of her little nose problem and now she can live the carefree life a kitten deserves.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been reading this thread and waiting for your update.   And ewwwww, how horrible.  Poor baby.  It is so good you were persistent and took her back to the vet.  And that you thought you saw something in her her nose.   Hopefully that is the end of her little nose problem and now she can live the carefree life a kitten deserves.
I hope so too. She so deserves a stress free life after this terrible start. I hope I can keep her comfort level far above what it has been these past few weeks.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I hope so too. She so deserves a stress free life after this terrible start. I hope I can keep her comfort level far above what it has been these past few weeks.
What a relief knowing what has been going on, and definitely big praise for you keeping such a close eye on her and persevering with the vets.  Poor little Zander, she is lucky to be with you and I can't wait to hear how she now settles in to being a regular and healthy kitten without any of the pain or discomfort she has had to endure so far.    

I'd be like you and keeping close watch on her but hopefully your vet has checked her out thoroughly and will let you know when you pick her up if they think there is any chance of any further infestation.  With all these TCS positive vibes going on hopefully no worm would dare....  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[emoji]128534[/emoji][emoji]128534[/emoji][emoji]128534[/emoji][emoji]128534[/emoji]

I've heard of botfly. Pretty awful. But thank GOD you found Zander!!! You not only saved her life, you saved her from a horrible death.

You are absolutely to be commended for listening to your instincts on this one!!

I want to cry with joy that the vet did not dismiss your concerns!! Hooray!!! It's all going to be better for Zander from now on. I mean seriously, it HAS to be!!!

Congrats on getting to the root of this issue. It's horrible, but it's done, hopefully.

[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

Very educational thread, I must say.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks again everyone for your concerns.

I had a little scare last night because it was taking her so long to come out of the sedation. I even called her vet after hours, I really love this vet, to make sure she would be alright. He talked to me for almost 30 minutes until I calmed down.

I will be posting pictures that were taken at the vet yesterday before and after the procedure. Warning, these are a little graphic, but I want everyone to know that this is something that needs to be watched out for. I can't believe this baby girl survived and now she can live a happy long life with me and my family.

Pictures will follow but I am listing a warning for graphic nature.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just found this thread - you get MAJOR kudos for hanging in so long for this little baby!!!! Obviously the monetary & mental toll must have been tough!!!! Zander found her way into the right yard ;) I have to say this worm in the nose is a new one for me - just when I think I've almost heard it all! Thanks for keeping us posted and teaching (at least some of us) something new to be aware of! Happy & healing thoughts for you guys AND adorable little Zander!!!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting pictures of Zander this morning. The day after her procedure. She is doing much better now and looks so much better

Zander eating breakfast, canned food with some goats milk mixed in. She ate more than she has the past several days.

Her nose looking a little more normal. She still has a long way to go, but it's much better.

Luci checking on the baby girl, making sure she is alright.