Mystery solved!!!!!

polsmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have been through the woods with this little one and I so hope for you that her improvement keeps going now and that her poor nose soon gets back to normal. I wish you many happy years with your little miracle cat!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute picture. Did the injection help?

Edit: I guess not yet.. I was looking at another picture... You can see the swelling, my gosh.... Poor baby. Did they culture the infection? (You may have said, sorry).

It's so hard when out fur kid gets sick. Prayers to Zander!! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute picture. Did the injection help?
Don't know. I will be taking her in about an hour. I will be getting off work in just a few minutes. Keep sending those vibes for this sweet baby.

I'll let ya'll know tomorrow how she is feeling.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering if perhaps this is a fungal infection, esp given where you found her. But would that be treated the same? Or a tooth infection??
Either way, an injection has to be stronger. Prayers this does the trick!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Zander, she is having a rough time of it.  All those nasty meds and still not feeling better.  

That this injection helps and gets her so she feels more comfortable.  She is such a pretty kitty too, it would be lovely to see her perked up and happy looking and not all stuffed up.   Wonder if the vet will think there is anything else causing the swelling or if it all down to her URI?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her nose don't look any different this morning, but I'm hoping by the time I get home it will look better. The good thing is she was playing this morning. They told me it was a time release injection and should stay in her system for 14 days.

This poor little girl has been through so much already. I talked to them about when she can have her shots and their time frame for being spayed. Her dr said she can't have any shots until her infection is gone and it's weird because they don't spay until 4 or 5 months. I'm going to see about having it done by her 3rd month even though my male is neutered, I don't want the same thing to happen to her that happened to Luci.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zander update!!!

Still no noticeable difference in her nose. I was able to look close at it over the weekend and it actually looks like there may be something stuck up in it. I will be taking her back AGAIN to the vet Wednesday (my only day off this week) and have him xray her so we can figure out what is going on. She has been running a low grade fever but still eating, pottying and playing so I am not too discouraged.

If I don't get any answers this time, I will take her to another vet and get a second opinion. I am ready for her to be able to play like a real kitten without being stuffed up and I know SHE is ready too.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers for this poor baby girl.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am definitely keeping her in my prayers. I looked up cat nose problems and yes, some of the stuff I read said there can be polyps, foreign objects, or even teeth that can cause this issue. Hoping it's something easily remedied. [emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji] for your little one.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am definitely keeping her in my prayers. I looked up cat nose problems and yes, some of the stuff I read said there can be polyps, foreign objects, or even teeth that can cause this issue. Hoping it's something easily remedied. [emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji][emoji]128538[/emoji] for your little one.
Thanks, I am worried about her. I tried to get a picture of her nose but it's not easy to get her to stay still for pictures. I will try again so you all can see what I see. I'm going to try to get a picture tonight. My DD is home now so if I hold her maybe she can get a good picture.

I guess I should be ok since she is eating, pottying and playing but between her ragged breathing and low grade fever I still worry about her.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if she could have breathed in a splinter or small seed or something, or if a baby tooth got snagged and pushed into the roof of her mouth, or just plain grew in funny. I suppose it could be a bad ball of infection, but if this was my cat, I'd personally think foreign object at this point. Note* I'm not an expert on cat health* I still wonder about a fungal infection too, thoigh

I totally agree some kind of X Ray or scan is a good idea, though, does the vet have some kind of little device to peer up into her nose..?

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She has been on antibiotics for almost a month now and her nose looks worse if not the same. There should have been some sort of change by now. That's why I'm thinking a foreign body.

I am going to call them today and talk to him. I only have $162 balance left on my Care Credit so I will need to get a total charge for what I want done and make payment arrangements for anything over that amount.

I'm sure he should have something to peer up her nose. But when I looked this weekend it looked like whatever is in there is close to the nostril. I didn't want to try to mess with it because she fights so hard when you mess with it I didn't want to hurt her. I will post what her vet says after I call him. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just got off the phone with the vet. I told him it looks like there may be a foreign object inside her nostril because I see something.

The x-rays are about $60 each. He may not charge the office visit of $44 since this has been an on going treatment. There is a good chance that he will give me a discount on the x-rays since the medication hasn't worked either. I will be taking her in on Wednesday morning and will pick her up that evening when I get off work. I hope they will be able to figure out what the problem is this time. I told him how much I have left on my Care Credit and they will take a post-dated check to cover the balance.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible what you see is some kind of dried crust, or, a foreign object. I suppose it if was an abscess you might see some kind of crust. I suppose if it's an abscess, it might have grown around a foreign object.

Another idea. My cat has crusty eyes, sometimes, probably herpes. Once it got a little worse when he had of all things an eyelash in his eye. The vet pulled a lot of gunk out of his nose before all was said and done. I wouldn't try it myself, but what I'm trying to say is can you ask the vet if this might be a sign of herpes? I've never known it to do what's happening to your cat, but I'm just as baffled as you are and throwing ideas out there to ask your vet.

When my cat had the nose get bad, the vet treated him with eye drops and nose drops at the same time he got antibiotics. Worked wonders on him, btw.

Goodness, you have been through a lot here.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible what you see is some kind of dried crust, or, a foreign object. I suppose it if was an abscess you might see some kind of crust. I suppose if it's an abscess, it might have grown around a foreign object.

Another idea. My cat has crusty eyes, sometimes, probably herpes. Once it got a little worse when he had of all things an eyelash in his eye. The vet pulled a lot of gunk out of his nose before all was said and done. I wouldn't try it myself, but what I'm trying to say is can you ask the vet if this might be a sign of herpes? I've never known it to do what's happening to your cat, but I'm just as baffled as you are and throwing ideas out there to ask your vet.

When my cat had the nose get bad, the vet treated him with eye drops and nose drops at the same time he got antibiotics. Worked wonders on him, btw.

Goodness, you have been through a lot here.
Thanks @misterwhiskers  I will take all ideas and ask her vet. I just want this poor baby to be better. She is such a sweet baby and has already been through so much. She will definitely have a forever home with us. I am not going to let her go anywhere.  Even Luci feels sorry for her and she don't do that with anyone, LOL. She will lick her and love on her.

She does have runny eyes and I figure that has to do with the issue with her nose. I just hope her vet will figure out the problem Wednesday so we can start getting her feeling better.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Zander still isn't doing well. What misterwhiskers misterwhiskers said made me think of one of my childhood cats. He'd got a blade of grass up his nose and the seed got embedded at the top of the sinuses. We didn't realise until he was pretty bad - he needed an operation to remove the seed. He made a full recovery though. Given that antibiotics alone aren't making any impact, I really do begin to wonder about the possibility of something similar. I so hope you're able to find and treat the cause soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little Zander, and poor you.  It is so worrying when you don't see any improvment and even think it is getting worse.  Zander is very, very lucky to be with you, holding out and looking for answers to get her well.  It is great to hear your vet is taking a care approach at this point too and listening to what you are saying and working around payments so something can be done.

What a rough start this little kitten has had, from when she found herself under your porch to now and still not feeling great.  All fingers, toes and paws crossed in my home too for this to be something really simple to resolve once the vet knows what is causing it.

(I'm not even going to try and compete with Columbine's positive vibes here because I know I won't come close LoL and she says it all :-D ) 

Will be keeping you and young Zander in my thoughts until we hear how things go at the vet later this week.