My vet says NO wet food ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet is telling you that your cat needs a tooth pulled, then he needs a tooth pulled! Obviously you can get a second opinion, but there is no reason your vet should lie to you about this.
Except $$$$. Yes, some vets WILL lie and do unnecessary procedures just to get the money. Follow your gut on this one.

This is an old thread and the OP isn't here anymore. . .but really, the vet was being absolutely ridiculous. Fleas and worms from wet food? Fleas from ANY food?!? It's scary who has a DVM degree sometimes.

I leave canned food out for longer than recommended and even so I've never had a problem with flies, and definitely not fleas or worms.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet is telling you that your cat needs a tooth pulled, then he needs a tooth pulled! Obviously you can get a second opinion, but there is no reason your vet should lie to you about this.

And the good vet is right, dry food does not clean any better than crackers.
I had a vet wanting to pull all bumbles teeth all because they was a little yellow and she started lecturing me about how clean her mouth was and how skinny she was I looked at he saying DUH I JUST GOT HER 2 WEEKS AGO DUH yes i said that lol there was 2 teeth needed pulled from her because they was broken and she didn't wan't to eat that was like a yr and 4 or so mos ago and now she eats fine and at a good weight

carolynmerrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am NOT detracting from the health plan provided; I believe the vets did their best. However, our experience was that everything required excessive care, i.e. loose stool required tests and always some type of medicine as opposed to a rice in chicken broth diet for a few days. When I expressed doubt about the neccesity of tests and the rice diet as alternative, it was "well, that would be ok too": that was just one example of what I am talking about. We did get a second opinion on the teeth and our new vet (who came highly reccomended )   was amazed that it was even suggested. After living overseas for nearly 20 years with two cats who died of old age I have been spoiled by vets who who actually treated animals w/o a million tests - they can actually examine the animal and recognize most common problems. Fortunatly we seem to have found a vet like that here. In my own experiances it has paid off to listen to my gut feelings; the times I did not usually went badly.