My vet says NO wet food ?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

I drink more than that.
Drinking bottled really helps, most tap water tastes nasty and it discourages you from drinking. Rajah loves bottled water too, somehow she realized that water was in certain bottles and if you're drinking from a bottled water, she's up on your lap trying to fit her head into the bottle!
I'd be running to the restroom every 5 seconds if I drank that much

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'd be running to the restroom every 5 seconds if I drank that much
Believe it or not, your body actually adjusts itself to the level of water you drink. If you started drinking the 8 glasses, you'd probably see a huge uptick in bathroom trips the first three days or so, and then a gradual decline thereafter.

Of course, it's getting through those first few days that's the problem.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

LOL. I have yet to see a cat say hey did you drink your water to a buddy
Well if they consider us a buddy... they sure love to remind us it's there.

Who's kitty was it that dumped the glass of water on them while they were sleeping? And when did said kitty tell my Tomas to do this?

As for the bit about the wet food sticking to teeth, I've noticed cats can lick that out of their teeth easily.
Did anyone elses mother ever say " Don't feed them that, it will give them worms" when refering to bite of human food, usually while you yourself was eating the same thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catz07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow just looked and theres 4 pages of replys you guys are fast thanks for the replys I think im going to give him one wet meal a day now

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Did anyone elses mother ever say " Don't feed them that, it will give them worms" when refering to bite of human food, usually while you yourself was eating the same thing?
I have not heard that one. But since my mom found out (I told her) that I give Ping an afternoon lunch of raw meat,she says that he will become aggressive and more prone to attack. I just laugh it off though.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are grapes toxic to cats??? I have never heard of a cat even eating grapes, to find out whether anything bad happens.

I know there have been cases of dogs eating large amounts of (stolen) grapes or raisins with disastrous results. I doubt that a cat would willingly eat large amounts of grapes, though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah and that is why I shake my head at formulas using grapeseed oil( concentrated part of the toxic part of grape...
I think that this might have been her point.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our vet says that feeding both is fine, but to not leave the wet food out. As soon as the cats decide they've had enough, take up the bowls and wash them out. We feed dry in the AM and wet in the PM.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We give our cats mainly dry, but they do get some wet in the evenings. We give them all natural tinned food, and sprinkle Wysong Denta Treat on top of the food for their teeth.

The website says

Composed of a special blend of dental-active natural cheeses, minerals, apple polyphenols, and many other ingredients that help to maintain oral health. It can be sprinkled directly onto food or it can also be used with a toothbrush as a tooth cleaning powder. DentaTreat is made entirely of safe, natural food ingredients and has no artificial colorings or flavorings. It helps to prevent tooth decay and gingivitis, remineralizes teeth, and discourages growth of bacteria that cause plaque and bad breath.

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats cant eat dry food at all. Only wet food makes his diahrrea go away. Thanks to sharky for his advice he gave me awhile ago!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You are aware that GRAPES are posionous??? Oranges and tomatos need to be monitored carfully as they can be toxic to some////
I am aware that grapes are poisonous to dogs but not to people unless they have an allergy. I'm just comparing how we can also benefit from obtaining water from our food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

I am aware that grapes are poisonous to dogs but not to people unless they have an allergy. I'm just comparing how we can also benefit from obtaining water from our food.
Just checking

kobster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! I feel so.....betrayed! I've had cats all my life and was told not to give them wet food because that was junk food for cats and it would make them gain weight and have horrible teeth. Well they are fat with bad teeth on a diet of dry only.

My dog eats a raw diet, and I tried switching my cats to raw but they wouldn't eat it.

Whats the best wet food on the market?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kobster

on the blue bar near your pm stuff is a search button.... put in wet food and prepare to learn

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I feed all dry, I have a coule of cats that will start throwing up a little bit. So I feed mine both dry and wet.

carolynmerrill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 cats that lived to 19 & 20 yrs.; they ate both wet and dry food., we had very few problems with plaque on the teeth...  I have 2 cats now who have been on the "Banfield " health plan (Petsmart) which includes teeth cleening annually. They bassically only want to eat dry food and unless the canned food is fish flavor they scorn it. (I don't generally allow fish flavors because they love it so it comes in handy as a "treat" when giving medicine). Anyway, each year the vet insists that the plaque is so bad they need to pull a tooth; I fell for this with my 9 year old cat because she did appear to be in pain HOWEVER, when they wanted to pull a tooth from our 4 year old cat I changed vets.  This does not mean that they don't have alot of plaque though. I had a very good vet tell me one time that dry food does not clean a cats teeth any better than eating crackers cleans ours... 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 2 cats that lived to 19 & 20 yrs.; they ate both wet and dry food., we had very few problems with plaque on the teeth...  I have 2 cats now who have been on the "Banfield " health plan (Petsmart) which includes teeth cleening annually. They bassically only want to eat dry food and unless the canned food is fish flavor they scorn it. (I don't generally allow fish flavors because they love it so it comes in handy as a "treat" when giving medicine). Anyway, each year the vet insists that the plaque is so bad they need to pull a tooth; I fell for this with my 9 year old cat because she did appear to be in pain HOWEVER, when they wanted to pull a tooth from our 4 year old cat I changed vets.  This does not mean that they don't have alot of plaque though. I had a very good vet tell me one time that dry food does not clean a cats teeth any better than eating crackers cleans ours... 
If your vet is telling you that your cat needs a tooth pulled, then he needs a tooth pulled! Obviously you can get a second opinion, but there is no reason your vet should lie to you about this.

And the good vet is right, dry food does not clean any better than crackers.
:nod:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time I took my cat to the vet he said I should never feed him wet food just dried food for the rest of his life! I think this is a bit harsh isn't it lol he loved his wet food the vet said because fly can lay eggs in the wet food and it causes worms and fleas...
Can I have your thoughts on this please?
Thanks
if you don.t leave the wet out for more then 30 mins its fine and I lost a bag of kibble in the hallway closet for like 3 days found it with flies larve in it so your vet is nuts i had problems with flies in my dry never in my wet

Last edited: